Photo

Your favorite Italian restaurant in Bergen/Essex County?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Paul:

So happy you liked DiPalma Brothers and to hear they are still solid. I haven't been there in a while, and it's going to be one of the places I'm going to miss dearly when we move to Florida in July. And yes, the portions are massive, two people shouldn't really order more than one appetizer and one main dish. If you order two main dishes you are definitely taking food home and I'm a big eater.

Since it's so close to our house, we've been going to Amici a lot. Very solid red sauce Italian-American, excellent pizza.

http://offthebroiler...ily-restaurant/

Posted Image
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#17 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Paul:

So happy you liked Amici and to hear they are still solid. I haven't been there in a while, and it's going to be one of the places I'm going to miss dearly when we move to Florida in July. And yes, the portions are massive, two people shouldn't really order more than one appetizer and one main dish. If you order two main dishes you are definitely taking food home and I'm a big eater.

Since it's so close to our house, we've been going to Amici a lot. Very solid red sauce Italian-American, excellent pizza.

http://offthebroiler...ily-restaurant/

Posted Image

Did someone comment that they liked Amici? Did I miss the post? I've heard good things about the place.

Thanks in advance for pointing out the Amici post and clarifying.

#18 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

I enjoyed my dinner at DiPalma in North Bergen, and put that up above.

I didn't offer a comment on Amici, although I do plan to visit there sometime. Hopefully soon. I'm sorry if there was some confusion.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#19 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

I enjoyed my dinner at DiPalma in North Bergen, and put that up above.

I didn't offer a comment on Amici, although I do plan to visit there sometime. Hopefully soon. I'm sorry if there was some confusion.

Brain fart, I meant DiPalma.
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#20 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

It's not Northern, Southern, or any of that hokum, but the owner is from Italy and the food is excellent Italian-American. La Sicilia, in Belleville. Worth the trip. Tops in NNJ for this ilk.

#21 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

I had a pizza at the newish Mancinni's Coal Oven Pizza in Montclair tonight. It was good pizza. Well flavored, good crust with a little char. Pizza in the soft Jersey style, with a little more cheese and grease.

The 12" pancetta mozz red green chili pie was enjoyable. $13 for the pizza, and a 16" version is available for $19. Alternates included a puttanesca, a classic, a white pie with prosciutto, white pie with mushroom, all in the same general price range. Sandwiches, salads, iced tea, etc. Nice, casual vibe, with friendly staff.

Although the name includes "coal" the large tiled oven displayed a large pile of wood burning in the far corner.

I'm reluctant to offer a broad opinion on just one visit, but this is definitely a worthy competitor to A'Pizz, which is about 500 feet away.

438 Bloomfield Avenue, between Fullerton and Seymour. 973-744-4391

The crew on tommy:eats agrees with each other that this is excellent pizza.

report from curlz

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

Interesting, a placed called Mancini's opened up in East Brunswick, NJ. They are a multi generational family business who still drive in from Dyker Heights. It's a really good pizza place but, perhaps not related.

http://mancinipizza.com/index.htm
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#23 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

Anyone been to Savini lately? Had an excellent meal there recently.

Also, just over the Mahwah border, had an excellent meal again at La Vera Cucina.

Anyone else have any good Bergen County places? Thank you in advance.