#1 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(rockdoggydog @ Nov 26 2009, 03:31 PM) View Post
I liked everything I ate at Toulouse Petite. The boudin blanc and the lamb tongue especially.

Rocky

QUOTE(rockdoggydog @ Dec 12 2009, 10:44 AM) View Post
Went to Tolouse Petite again Wednesday night. My favourites on the evening were the fried alligator, the fried green tomatoes, and the shrimp and grits.

sampler of charcuterie

Vieux Carre

Charcuterie

Fried Alligator - very mmmmm!

Jambalaya, BBQ Shrimp and Grits, and Crayfish Etouffee

Rocky

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#2 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

Since it has it's own thread, I'll chime in with my thoughts. We went around 8:30 on a Friday night, which might have been asking for trouble. Absolutely everything we ate was amazingly good, technically near perfect and creative. If it were based on food alone, I'd be back in a heart beat. It was reasonably priced, the drinks were great (I had the Katie Mae: vodka, prosecco, grapefruit and st. germain).

The waitstaff seemed inexperienced and possibly overwhelmed (15 minutes to get a beer) but even that wasnt' so bad--we'd been planning on a long leisurely dinner and they did a great job of spacing out the courses as we'd asked.

Why am I not rushing back? Holy cow, the noise in this place! I don't know if it was the time, or where we were sitting or what the deal was but I literally was getting a headache trying to hear what the person across the table was saying to me. We couldn't even nail down if it was the music was loud so people were trying to talk over it or if everything just seemed loud because of how the space was.

Obviously everything was good enough that I will be back there at some point, but I will maybe call ahead and ask if there is an area that is quieter than where we were...

#3 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

A group of us, including Rocky, had dinner there on Monday. I'm pretty sure Rocky took more photos so maybe he'll post them.

I'd been to TP once before - just for cocktails. It was right after they opened and it was on a Friday night. The place was packed but they were able to keep up with the volume and still make good cocktails. This time it was less packed but still nearly full. We had drinks in the bar first and were debating on whether to continue our evening there or to move to the dining room. We chose the latter and I'm glad we did. Chairs with backs are much more comfortable for a leisurely meal!

We ordered a bunch of apps to start, of which my favorite was the fried green tomatoes served with a remoulade. The tomatoes were so good that we also ordered them as a side to go with our entrees. I'd love to know how they do them, they were the perfect texture - soft but not mushy. Let's see, we also had oysters rockefeller - which were good but the lovely topping (which included Tasso) overpowered the oyster. There were also frites which come with a veal jus reduction poured over them. We ordered one as written and one with the jus on the side. The jus was good but, believe it or not, it was superfluous.

The menu is huge - with 5 or 6 different preps of most proteins. I had a quarter chicken with mashed potatoes and a Tasso sauce. The chicken was an airline cut that had been roasted and had a lovely crispy skin. The dark meat had been somehow pressed into a mold and served below the white meat. It was an awesome prep and my favorite dish at the table. I'll let others talk about their entrees but, from the bites that I had, the simple veal chop (there are 3 or 4 choices for veal chops) was a close second to the chicken. The only disappointing thing I tried was the duck confit. It was served a couple of different ways; with lentils or as a 'cassoulet'. The duck itself was totally overcooked which made it salty and stringy.

The kitchen sent out a dessert sampler which included an awesome milkshake that Mike is testing out. It was chicory, vanilla and foie gras and it was to.die.for. I'm not a big dessert eater but I found myself sticking my fork into the pecan pie more times than I planned to. There was a flourless chocolate cake that was fine and Bananas Foster that I wasn't fond of.

Looking forward to having Toulouse Petit in my regular rotation.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#4 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(da goose @ Dec 21 2009, 12:56 PM) View Post
Obviously everything was good enough that I will be back there at some point, but I will maybe call ahead and ask if there is an area that is quieter than where we were...

I was working on my post and didn't see yours before I sent mine. Where were you seated? It was expectedly loud in the bar but not crazily so. We were just inside the front door, to the right side along the front windows and I didn't think it was loud at all. We did have issues with lighting because the street light kept going off and on.........

#5 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(Lauren @ Dec 21 2009, 01:22 PM) View Post
QUOTE(da goose @ Dec 21 2009, 12:56 PM) View Post

I was working on my post and didn't see yours before I sent mine. Where were you seated? It was expectedly loud in the bar but not crazily so. We were just inside the front door, to the right side along the front windows and I didn't think it was loud at all. We did have issues with lighting because the street light kept going off and on.........

We were in one of the booths along the queen anne ave. side, so the bar was to one side of us, but certainly there seemed like there should have been enough space that it shouldn't have been so bad.

I feel like such an old lady complaining about this--I remember people making the same comment when Quinn's opened and I thought they were crazy, but it truly made it hard to enjoy the meal.

#6 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:14 AM

I was there with friends about 3 weeks back (in a booth along the Mercer side) and didn't notice any problems with the noise level, and I was there with a couple of soft spoken people in addition to my normal peeps laugh.gif so I'd have noticed.

The food was fabulous. There were some service issues, but since it was fairly soon after they opened I am assuming they'll shake out...

My biggest complaint so far is that they don't seem to have a website, which in this day & age is just ridiculous.
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#7 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE(Eden @ Dec 21 2009, 09:14 PM) View Post
I was there with friends about 3 weeks back (in a booth along the Mercer side) and didn't notice any problems with the noise level, and I was there with a couple of soft spoken people in addition to my normal peeps laugh.gif so I'd have noticed.

The food was fabulous. There were some service issues, but since it was fairly soon after they opened I am assuming they'll shake out...

My biggest complaint so far is that they don't seem to have a website, which in this day & age is just ridiculous.

Cool, well I'm psyched if that was just an abnormality because the food and drinks were stellar, so I'll be back sooner rather than later!

#8 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(Lauren @ Dec 21 2009, 01:18 PM) View Post
A group of us, including Rocky, had dinner there on Monday. I'm pretty sure Rocky took more photos so maybe he'll post them.

To hear is to obey ya offendi

Frites with veal reduction

Oysters Rockefeller

Fried Green Tomatoes

Petite Chicken, I forgot which sauce

Veal Chop

Foie Gras Chicory milkshake

Fried Chicken Gumbo

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#9 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:58 PM

I took advantage of the $5 breakfast deal at TP before Christmas. Great stuff! I had the cured pork cheek hash with poached eggs. Not much to say other that it was crazy good. If they cook breakfast that well, dinner must be great!
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#10 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

My cousin and brother are visiting from Los Angeles so we had a little family dinner at Toulouse last night. One of my cousins is on a very restrictive diet while they figure out the source of her migraines. No gluten, no dairy (including eggs), no nuts, etc. I figured the size of Toulouse's menu would allow her to have more choices.

We started with cocktails, a Vieux Carre, sangria, Kir Royale and Madame Toulouse were all ordered. My Vieux Carre was great but surprisingly the Madame Toulouse was really good; grapefruit vodka, peach puree, honey, and sparkling wine.

They have a three course prix fixe menu for $35. Normally I skip right over these because they include dessert, which is not my thing. But this one had a starter, a first and an entree. Plus there were six starters, eight firsts and fourteen mains to choose from!

I started with a "Spring Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes, Haricots Verts, Artichoke Hearts and Wild Arugula". The artichoke hearts were very, very good. The rest was fine but the Haricots Verts were too large and woody. Paul had a salad with Dungeness crab, grapefruit and avocado that he said was meh. Two people had the fried chicken gumbo which they loved. I had a bite and was surprised how deep and rich the gumbo was. I won't hesitate to order it another time.

For the next course I had crawfish beignets. There were three golf ball sized beignets studded with crawfish. There were excellent and enough for four of us to share. Paul had proscuitto wrapped asparagus which he said was also a meh. My brother had the house made boar and garlic sausage. It was moist and yummy. My cousin had the fried green tomatoes with Dungeness crab (+$4). I had highly recommended it and he loved it.

My main was duck confit with rapini and cippolini onions. There was enough tasso in the rapini that you could have 3 or 4 pieces with every bite. I call that a good tasso to rapini ratio! The duck was a little dry and had too much five spice for me. Three people had the prime rib eye steak frites (+5). And my cousin had chicken with a lemon artichoke sauce. There was nothing leftover on any of their plates.

My brother ordered the red velvet cake for dessert. It was dry and had too many nuts and too little frosting but that didn't stop him from eating it!

Including cocktails, two bottles of an 08 Tempranillo, food and tax the total was $70 per person. A total deal and everyone left happy.