36 replies to this topic

#16 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

I'm impressed that you remember the cocktail after the El Bulli experience.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#17 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

Wait--did you and Jessika go to Chicago just to attend that dinner at Next? :blink:

They are awesome. ;)

I went to California expressly for the purpose of FL, Ubuntu, Manresa meals. And every year am sorely tempted to fly out again solely for Manresa's tomato dinner.

PS I also went for lunch with Rancho Gordo.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#18 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,969 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

I'm impressed that you remember the cocktail after the El Bulli experience.

It was the walk over that did it.

I certainly don't remember the last 10 or 15 courses at Next. I forgot about the rabbit entirely, for example, until Jesikka mentioned it in her post.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,969 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

Wait--did you and Jessika go to Chicago just to attend that dinner at Next? :blink:

They are awesome. ;)

Given miles, it's not like it costs anything to go there.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

They are awesome. ;)

Given miles, it's not like it costs anything to go there.

Cheaper than staying home, I always say.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,969 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

Also, it's closer than Roses. (And when you get to Roses, El Bulli isn't even open anymore.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,969 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

Cheaper than staying home, I always say.

I have to admit that the El Bulli dinner cost more than just about anything I could have done in New York that night (not being a cokehead and all).

Oh wait! I've so far "forgotten" to pay the ticketholder for it.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

Wow. Kinda belongs in "Surrealism" for me.

Or "We are the 1% of the 1% (but with good taste) so we'd better watch our asses when we get home." :lol:

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,969 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

You mean like this quick trip to Chicago for this dinner is somehow different from the quick trip I'm taking there in a few weeks for my niece's wedding? Surely no one would call me effete for attending that.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:18 AM

You mean like this quick trip to Chicago for this dinner is somehow different from the quick trip I'm taking in a few weeks for my niece's wedding?

Puhleaze. (I've always wanted to say that to someone.)

One is an example of devotion, and we're required to be humbled by you.
The other is an example of excess, and we're entitled to scold you. That it's
your niece is no excuse.

#26 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:06 AM

You mean like this quick trip to Chicago for this dinner is somehow different from the quick trip I'm taking there in a few weeks for my niece's wedding? Surely no one would call me effete for attending that.

Of course it's different: this one was more fun than that one will be; no matter how much you love your niece, family is still . . . family. :rolleyes:

To tell the truth, I'm kind of jealous. Not that I'd want to spend my money that way, but I wish I could. :blush:

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#27 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:23 AM

For reasons unclear, Craig Schoettler, the executive chef of Grant Achatz and Nick Kokonas' cocktail bar The Aviary in Chicago, has been fired.

Schoettler helped launch the Aviary's acclaimed cocktail program in April of 2011 and has since gone on to achieve national notoriety, having been nominated for a James Beard Award for outstanding bar program (for the Aviary) and winning the award for national bartender of the year in the 2011 Eater Awards. A few months ago, rumors swirled that an international expansion of The Aviary was in the works.

Chef "fired"
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#28 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,816 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

now you can drink out of cool glassware, at home, just like you would at aviary
Posted Image
Posted Image

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#29 Eddie L

Eddie L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Martin Kasner's KickStarter for the Porthole appears to be a success. $736,113 raised, goal was $28,500.
• • • Edsel • • •
♪ Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1929. ♫

#30 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

On the basis of very little evidence, I'm going to call bullshit on Aviary.

We went after the epic El Bulli dinner next door at Next. Our original intention was to try the Cocktail Tasting. But there was no way we were going to do that after the drinkathon Next provided with the dinner. So we ordered a cocktail each.

This seems to me to be more a restaurateur's assay than a Serious Cocktail Bar.

First, they're limited to their menu, which changes frequently. When we tried to order something from a previous menu, which a companion who'd been there before recommended highly, they couldn't make it.

Second, the drinks are gimmicky in a way that actually hurts the drinks. Take the Old Fashioned variant I ordered. It comes enclosed in an ice sphere (in a glass), which you break (the ice sphere, not the glass) to drink the liquid. The problem with this is that the drink is then cooled by shards of thin ice -- the precise opposite of the big, thick, hyper-cooled cubes that are currently used to provide maximum cooling with minimum dilution. Other than that it looks cool, I cannot think of a single justification for serving a drink Aviary's way. Much as I enjoy the company of Xavier Herit at Daniel (and like some of his drinks), this is the kind of gimmicky thing he'd come up with to impress his Uptown Restaurant Crowd -- not the kind of preparation you'd use for Serious Cocktailians.

You can't slam a place on the basis of one drink. But there, I just did.

Seconded.

The cocktail amuse, a variation on a hot toddy, was good.

The doorman was really nice.

Sneak, your criticism of the old fashioned is spot on. It's cool, it's huge, but it's a gimmick. Similarly, the drink made with tea, bourbon and a siphon coffee brewer was a pure dog and pony show - the already made cocktail was pulled up into some tea and (I forget which berry), stirred with flavoured ice, then sucked back down and poured over two more flavoured ice cubes. The process of using a siphon added nothing to the drink; it could have come out at a better temp over the ice already. It tasted good enough.

The other drink we tried also played with the idea of flavour changing over the course of the drink and was the only one that wasn't a gimmick - it used the infusion contraption in the photo above and, like mamajuana in the DR, the drink became darker, more herbal, and fruitier as you poured it out.

The room is ugly and the music was the horrendous early 1990s euro lounge music that's so prevalent in Montreal (which you've just got to ironically appreciate when you're there). The less said about the crowd the better, but it made me appreciate why some of the Milk and Honey type rules may be necessary in a place like this.

They were pushing the food menu, but we were plenty full from Schwa.

I'm sure the Violet Hour is great, but none of us wanted to wait in the line which they had apparently imported from Shake Shack circa 2008.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.