#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

Eater reports the wait is over...

As for the food, there was not one miss in the marathon of 13 dishes from the smoked crab soup to the lamb shoulder, the red curry duck to pork spare ribs. Same goes for cocktails. And the prices fit the nabe—even when over-ordering, it's hard to spend more than $40-50 a head here. The bathroom situation is a literal shitshow, but that will hopefully be worked out quickfast.

Open

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Mar 19 2010, 03:54 PM) View Post
Eater reports the wait is over...

As for the food, there was not one miss in the marathon of 13 dishes from the smoked crab soup to the lamb shoulder, the red curry duck to pork spare ribs. Same goes for cocktails. And the prices fit the nabe—even when over-ordering, it's hard to spend more than $40-50 a head here. The bathroom situation is a literal shitshow, but that will hopefully be worked out quickfast.

Open

Nice comment about the bathrooms while I was eating pork butt for lunch.

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,626 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:06 AM

I knew a threepeat in the fall previews was too much of a stretch. Would've been an enduring record though.

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,626 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Some comments on Eater,

It occurs to me how much less competition there would have been in that neighborhood two years ago.

The palm sugar syrup with the brisket worries me.

#5 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

I had a solid if overpriced dinner there over the weekend.

I liked the brisket dish, which is served with the same kind of buns a momofuku pork dish would be and two great sauces. We had 4 things and the best part of each was the saucing, which was excellent in everything we had.

The space is loud & irritating but service was fine. We ate in the ground floor, maybe the upstairs space is better.

I don't think they should be calling it a BBQ restaurant, people who show up expecting a decent amount of meat in their 18 dollar order of brisket will be disappointed.

Part of me can't get over the way that the concept reminds me of Patrick Bateman's hangouts.

#6 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,142 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

My friend lives right around the corner so last night we decided to head over there for a nightcap. Around 11 I am guessing. It was still fairly busy although we easily got seats at the bar. The menu is pretty intriguing and very Zak Pelaccio, lots of Asian inflections. Cocktail list very NBC and prices high for the neighborhood. But we never got around to ordering drinks. The one guy sitting to our left shouting to the bartender and the shriekers on our right inspired us to look at each other and say you know what let's get out of here. We opted for the safety of Marlow and Sons and their friendly staff and inexpensive,drinkable wines.

I do want to go back and try the food, but I think it's going to be an 'earlier in the week' place. Should have known better than to go on a Saturday night. Especially since my friend's roommate had been in there last week and he reported that it was 'full of horrible people'. Ha.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#7 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,142 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

I was dragged in here again on Sunday night and I still have no opinion on the drinks (other than that they are expensive) or the food because all I had was a glass of wine. But the difference in ambiance between Saturday and Sunday nights was marked.
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#8 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

I found it pretty off putting on a Sunday. Were you in the bar or upstairs?

#9 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,142 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(AaronS @ Apr 27 2010, 02:54 PM) View Post
I found it pretty off putting on a Sunday. Were you in the bar or upstairs?

We were in the bar. It was late, around ten, and you may recall that it was pouring off and on for much of the day and night so that may have been a factor

#10 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,646 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(Daisy @ Apr 27 2010, 11:06 AM) View Post
I was dragged in here again on Sunday night and I still have no opinion on the drinks (other than that they are expensive) or the food because all I had was a glass of wine. But the difference in ambiance between Saturday and Sunday nights was marked.

I would find it awfully tough to go in there and not order food. Part of the reason, I suppose, is that I find it awfully tough to get there at all!
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#11 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,142 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(oakapple @ Apr 27 2010, 03:04 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Daisy @ Apr 27 2010, 11:06 AM) View Post

I would find it awfully tough to go in there and not order food. Part of the reason, I suppose, is that I find it awfully tough to get there at all!

We had been to Ali's for lunch. No room for any more food. rolleyes.gif

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,626 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

The food has its merits and its demerits.

"Incredibly good," in general, it isn't. Not that it's bad either.

#13 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ May 14 2010, 06:59 PM) View Post
The food has its merits and its demerits.

"Incredibly good," in general, it isn't. Not that it's bad either.

ok, I've been to Fatty Crab (downtown) a few times.

is this place worthwhile enough to go to Brooklyn?

lately I've been dreaming of Sripraphai's laksa but the cold weather is making me wonder if we'll ever get any summer (for picture taking purposes)

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,626 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

It's an interesting proposition. If you like straight barbecue, you are probably better off going to Hill Country. If you want to eat Malaysian or Indonesian food, the menu here is limited. If you are interested to see how Pelaccio and Richter fuse the genres, then you can't really go anywhere else. It's no harder to get to than Peter Luger.

I am working on a full review.

#15 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:26 PM

Sifty's review made it sound beguiling.

Increasingly I think of him as Son of Reichl more than anyone else.