164 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,321 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:48 AM

Good enough for burgers and pizza, and we are on the crest right now of a tidal wave of creativity aimed at reinventing the sandwich. This, you understand, is nothing to do with the economy, but just reflects the way we like to roll. rolleyes.gif

Serious Eats is keeping abreast by posting A Sandwich a Day. I reviewed three new places - This Little Piggy, Mile End and Henry Public - in a piece called Sandwich City at the Pink Pig. And I pick up New York today to find the latest pair, Saltie and Cheeky reviewed. Splendid places, perhaps, but note the dumbing down even of the names of places where we eat.

This has much to do, clearly, with the phenomenon of adults on skateboards.

Although not in Brooklyn, Cheeky seizes the zeitgeist by shipping the bread for its po' boys from the John Gendusa Bakery in N.O. I bet it's good bread, but between the contemporary enthusiasm for green/local/small-footprint ingredients and the historical origin of po' boys I am sure a wry chuckle is to be found.

#2 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:57 AM

wonderbread. spam. tabasco.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,321 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Mar 23 2010, 01:57 AM) View Post
wonderbread. spam. tabasco.

If you don't know, now you know:

5ywv65lWZkM

#4 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:36 AM

does that get funny at some point after the 51 second mark?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,321 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:38 AM

It depends.

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:16 AM

I had one of the SE Sandwiches Of The Day today for lunch. The Mushroom Toast at Milk Bar here on Vanderbilt Avenue in Brooklyn.

I don't want to give much encouragement to this trend -- and I hate to encourage earnest but seemingly mediocre restaurants on my home street -- but it was a good sandwich.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:26 AM

When around for lunch -- and not up to a chow-down at Mitchell's (if it's on one of the days they deign to open) -- I'm going to continue going to Cataldo's for their heros, though.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:54 AM

I've been nagging Sivan about opening a Sandwich shop for a couple of years now, it's the obvious outlet for creativity under $8. I guess it should be called the DumbDown.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#9 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:03 PM

or you could call it greedy&%!@nts

man, i need a headache

#10 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Mar 22 2010, 09:48 PM) View Post
<snip>
Although not in Brooklyn, Cheeky seizes the zeitgeist by shipping the bread for its po' boys from the John Gendusa Bakery in N.O. I bet it's good bread, but between the contemporary enthusiasm for green/local/small-footprint ingredients and the historical origin of po' boys I am sure a wry chuckle is to be found.

FYI: a po' boy is just a sammich if it's not on specific bread from NOLA. So they're just going for "authenticity." How are their po' boys dressed (another mark of "authenticity")?

And if we're nominating all-time great sandwiches, how about the Tallegio/duck prosciutto/hen of the woods at Terroir (formerly of CraftBar)?

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

I'll second that one.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,662 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:26 PM

Bar Veloce's panino containing speck, taleggio and grappa-marinated apple is a fine sandwich. Rye's meatloaf sandwich is killer.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,321 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Mar 23 2010, 04:15 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Mar 22 2010, 09:48 PM) View Post
<snip>

FYI: a po' boy is just a sammich if it's not on specific bread from NOLA. So they're just going for "authenticity." How are their po' boys dressed (another mark of "authenticity")?

I agree, although according to the review I read the same place is also offering a non-meat muffaletta, so they are kind of eclectic about their authenticity. My only point was to note the way we are encouraged to cheerlead for green issues and locavorism one moment, and asked to turn somersaults at sourcing bread from the other end of the country the next (remember the bagels being driven back from Montreal by Mile End too).

(How publicists see us.)

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,321 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

The Cheeky menu.

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
Bar Loser

MF Old