Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:49 AM

Can't have a "shopping" board without a BM thread

Today, I realised how lucky I am

After my training session, I showered, dressed, hopped on the tube :ph43r: rushed down to BM

Neal's Yard - cheese as a contribution to a supper tonight
Montgomery
Appleby's
Kirkhams
Milleen
CB Stilton
Stinking Bishop
Durras
Ragstone
Gorwydd

Pork Pie
Figs
Furness Free Range Chicken for Sunday lunch
Poilaine

Then home.

All before 9.30am and before there was a baby stroller or an American in sight :D

S

#2 Anny

Anny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:20 AM

Cool!

#3 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:22 PM

Just came back from there with some rather more mundane shopping - stuff like oranges (from Cuba!), lemons (from Italy), onions (from Brittany), butter (from somewhere else in France) and milk (from Somerset) and bread (from St Johns).

To be pedantic: it's Applebee's the expensive wet fish stalls and Appleby's the Cheshire cheese.

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#4 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:00 PM

This is the special "fish" cheese collaboration between the two companies. I am shocked you don't know of it

S

#5 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:17 PM

...and I'll bet that neither one of you knew that they distribute their products in the U.S. through a chain of "family" restaurants.

#6 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:30 PM

...and I'll bet that neither one of you knew that they distribute their products in the U.S. through a chain of "family" restaurants.

ah, I did

I have eaten in one while travelling from Chicago to Graceland :ph43r:

thannyouvermuch ( said Elvis style)

well it was either that or Denny's

#7 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 03:40 PM

:D

Also, as I rarely eat at Borough I forgot but today was in the company of someone who needed his breakfast/lunch: had a bloody delicious Staffordshire oatcake with cheese etc at Lippy's raclette stand by Neals Yard Dairy, and also an excellent chicken rendang-stuffed pratha at the Champor-Champor stand. No queueing required.

And lots of apples from Essex for the juicer.

v

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

#8 ampletuna

ampletuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:47 PM

what time does the market open?
Yes, I would not recommend smell, touch or taste when it comes to old cock selection. Opinions differ though. Adam 2/3/05

#9 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 03:26 PM

what time does the market open?

I was down there at 8.30 and they were all setting up. NY was empty and it was great to linger rather than fight

The downside Cider not ready nor the choccy

S

#10 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:38 AM

:D

Also, as I rarely eat at Borough I forgot but today was in the company of someone who needed his breakfast/lunch: had a bloody delicious Staffordshire oatcake with cheese etc at Lippy's raclette stand by Neals Yard Dairy, and also an excellent chicken rendang-stuffed pratha at the Champor-Champor stand.  No queueing required.

And lots of apples from Essex for the juicer.

v

I 'm a regular at Bourough, normally before 09:30 on Saturdays or late Friday afternoons. The otehr week I was unfortunate enought to have to brave the crowds on Saturday afternoon. The upside to this was that for the first time I saw the cheese on toast man next to Neal's yard. Fanbloodytastic. Montgomery cheddar on Poilane. :)

What time does he normally open?

#11 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:52 AM

he normally sets up at 9.30pm in time for the first baby stroller

S

#12 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:01 PM

The upside to this was that for the first time I saw the cheese on toast man next to Neal's yard. Fanbloodytastic. Montgomery cheddar on Poilane. :)

That's The Lippy.

Elsewhere I wrote -- Most memorable food experience [for 2003]: The toasted Montgomery cheddar cheese sandwich at Borough Market.

I'm looking forward to one on May 8.

#13 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 09:55 AM

what a beautiful day

After I had run and showered, I pottered slowly down to BM where the stallholders were just getting ready for the day

It was not empty by any means but empty enough for my to amble around without feeling hassled.

Some tymsboro and Feta at Neal's Yard. A Melton Mowbray Pork Pie and a scotch egg later, I was ready to head home

Until, that is I was drawn to the new( ish) wine cellar of Bedales. Here I got caught in a conversation with the engaging young man who runs this enterprise and found myself leaving 1/2 hour later after a glass and a half of stunning white burgundy ( it was by now 9.30am ) and having bought a Mount Michael NZ Pinot for my lunch tomorrow and a couple of bottles of Late Vintage Noble. 60 lighter in the wallet, much lighter in the head but very light in the heart

Even bumping into Pim, Vanessa, Clb and Fahro could not bring my mood down

A nice start to the weekend

S

#14 Tuckerman

Tuckerman

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:55 AM

They've got some old vintages at Bedale's and the young French chap is knowledgeable and happy to discuss them. I'm thinking of taking a punt on some seventies claret from there though I haven't got as far as comparing prices.

#15 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 05:28 PM

What a sadly neglected thread. I don't go to Borough that often as it's a bit of a trek and eats up a good portion of the day but I had a good session today, acquiring the following:
  • Vegetable stall opposite the Cool Chile Co: dill and shallots
  • Booths: Cos lettuce, large onion, white onion, spinach, Granny Smiths, Roscoff onions - expensive and my favourite along with the very similar Bombay onions, just as expensive, available in London's Indian enclaves, Anaheim/New Mexico type chiles, Savoy cabbage
  • Maison Bertaux stall: marzipan fig and large chocolate truffle thing (I forget it's proper name) - these are an evocation of childhood - my father used to buy them in Soho when we were knee high to a grasshopper and I am ever astonished that they are still making them, exactly the same, a good 30-35 years later
  • Neals Yard: cornichons to keep the old man happy, Cheshire cheese (useful in Mexican dishes to substitute for a Mexican crumbly cheese)
  • Biodynamic place (Yarrow or Yerrow something) round the back by the cathedral - lovely stall: ruby chard
  • Wild Beef: eggs, Guernsey double cream
  • Furness Fish: red snapper fillet (for a bloody fortune, breaking my rule of never buying fish @ Borough)
  • Northfield Farm: beef & pork mince - lots - everything I plan to make in the next week or so seems to involve mince :D
  • Ginger Pig: lamb mince - very small quantity, very slow queue :D
  • Organic place next to Brindisa: packet of prunes
  • German sausage stall: Munchener Weisswurste
Met Robin clutching a mini nephew by the hand :D

v