4 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 09:21 PM

Click right here for the opinions of the New York food critics. Has anyone tried the espresso at the Cipriani place on 42nd?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 03:03 PM

The dismissal of Luger's as overrated is, to my way of thinking, a classic example of missing the point. Luger's is two things: the best porterhouse steak available in New York City, and the steakhouse experience at its most reductive. Everything else about the place is beside the point, including the godawful sauce. (The bacon is really good too.)

Recently, the beef shortage has resulted in some porterhouses there being less than the best held in memory. Condemning the restaurant for this is like killing the messenger.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#3 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:07 PM

Shocked and stunned at the omission of Otto from the Best Pizza.

No. Not really. It's not a signal that the Batali love-fest is nearing completion though, is it?
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:54 PM

I think they fall into the unavoidable trap of having to make some off-the-wall choices in order to keep, first their editor and second their readers interested. I experienced similar unspoken pressure when I was a journalist - it made editors happier to see an article about why Joe Blow from The Noise was the best guitarist ever than why Jimi Hendrix was the best guitarist ever. Hence the choice of best cheese store; hence Peter Luger's taking some lumps.

If I haven't mentioned it before, I recently signed up as believing Otto has finally got the pizzas about right.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:04 AM

Always liked Wilfrid1!!!