50 replies to this topic

#31 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Providence's 10 favorite restaurants of 2012. Anthony's in Lynnwood? And just an overall uninspiring list. I can't take this seriously.

I just about spit my coffee when I read that this weekend. I don't get it. Does she feel compelled to include and advertiser? Feel like she's alienating suburban readers? What?

While were on the topic, how does everyone feel about Hanna Raskin?

I couldn't figure out why the heck she'd put it in there. I'd highly doubt it would have to do with an advertiser. My best guess was that it had something to do with trying to not be all fancy Seattle places?

But seriously, until this year, we'd get an annual gift from a group I work with that was a gift card to Anthony's, and after the first few years, I learned to only use it for beers at the airport. ONLY. EVER.

As for Hanna, I mostly like what she has to say and I enjoy her writing. Contrary to the Times issue, though, I do wish she'd stick more to Seattle interesting stuff. I sometimes feel like she only ever does fancier Seattle restaurants, then little joints in the burbs. There's lots of cute little interesting places in the city too! But that's just a sense...I have no numbers to back that up.

#32 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Apologies to those who already read this rant on FB, but I figure it needs to go here for posterity and completeness...

Providence's Friday review of Tanglewood Supreme in Magnolia ends with the following rapturous paragraph:

I wish I could keep Tanglewood Supreme a secret. I fear long lines forming at lunch and weekend dinner reservations that must be secured weeks in advance. But it’s too good to stay under wraps for long.

Wow, cool, a great new restaurant in town!  Oh wait, she gave it 2.5 stars.  WTF does this actually mean?  I've been thinking about this and best I can tell, Providence's scale works something like this:

Bottom 0.5%: 1 star

0.5% to 5%: 1.5 stars

5% to 25%: 2 stars

25% to 95%: 2.5 stars

95% to 99%: 3 or 3.5 stars (criteria includes being an established Seattle restaurant or restaurateur, or just being really fancy)

99%+: 4 stars (criteria includes being Canlis)

As you can see, this scale is really, really helpful the average diner.  It's a joke and the ratings compared to the revies are useless.  There are so many good food writers in the world, how does she still have a job?

It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#33 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

http://blogs.seattle..._review_hav.php

Someone's been reading Mouthfuls!

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#34 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

And then of course the SLU Cactus gets 3 stars this week.  While I agree that it is one of the very best overpriced/dumbed down latin-influenced restaurants in Seattle, I didn't realize that was the frame of reference for reviews....

#35 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

Oh yes, kids, it's time to open this one back up. After the tragic firing of Hanna Raskin, here's who the weekly has chosen to replace her (random sampling, each from different articles):

Yummy stuff

A raspberry vanilla soda from The Soda Jerk was yummy; a mom I knew grabbed me one while I watched over the kids.

My daughter just turned six recently and is learning to read and write.

I’m sharing her first “restaurant” review (see pic).

It has the hallmarks of a good review: to the point yet passionate (as indicated by the inclusion of an exclamation point).

Plus, she quickly establishes what’s most important about the restaurant; in this case, the ice cream.

Hard to argue with that....

Yeah, so what I ordered chicken from Salumi today? It’s not always about pork people. Besides, I work in the same building as the famous joint, so I can try something different every day they’re open if I want. (In fact, maybe I should start doing regular blog updates about how long the line is and what the specials are???). Anyway, back to the chicken: it’s not just any chicken.

So I call this my “white” gazpacho experiment though, interestingly, there exists an authentic white gazpacho or “Ajo Blanco” from Spain. It’s essentially blanched almonds blended with day-old bread, garlic and vinegar and topped with green grapes. It was used to feed farmers (before red tomatoes were brought to the New World), and after giving it a whirl yesterday I understand why I’ve never seen it on any restaurant menus. It’s hearty, peasant food – but not in a good way. Yuck!

And so on, and so forth. Sigh. It's got the grammar and editing of a 5 year old and the spirit of a mommy blogger. Sad days.

#36 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

:blink: wow.  I don't look at the Weekly much anymore unless someone sends me a link, but that's just embarrassing for them.

A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#37 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

I hadn't realized those was from their new "reviewer" - I thought they were more unpaid intern type posts. How embarrassing.

The kid reviewer and the Salumi post were truly horrible. Undecipherable.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#38 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Oh my god, you guys. I have to stop reading this woman. I cannot handle such over use of the word "yummy"

The pasta sounded yummy

#39 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Oh my god, you guys. I have to stop reading this woman. I cannot handle such over use of the word "yummy"

The pasta sounded yummy

You forgot this gem "Even the ricotta salata was lacking in umph."

#40 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:28 AM

So here in ATX, I submit, for your consideration:  The newspaper resto reviewers are also food bloggers. There are also many other food bloggers (they have their own org, check it out) who are not associated with any print publication but maybe a few digitals ones... They get invited to every soft opening. And they get free and/or discounted tickets to food/wine events around town. Take that as you will... but I have a hard time taking them seriously. AND not to mention, if you are a foodie of the 'old school' variety as are the former eG / MF crowd, reading 25 different blogs to figure out if new-resto-du-jour is worth going to, just isn't gonna happen. Gimme just ONE place to go to read multiple independent resto reviews. 

Ok, I guess RSS was supposed to address that, but really, did it? How many of you actually have active RSS subscriptions to blogs that track resto openings and reviews?

I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#41 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

So here in ATX, I submit, for your consideration:  The newspaper resto reviewers are also food bloggers. There are also many other food bloggers (they have their own org, check it out) who are not associated with any print publication but maybe a few digitals ones... They get invited to every soft opening. And they get free and/or discounted tickets to food/wine events around town. Take that as you will... but I have a hard time taking them seriously. AND not to mention, if you are a foodie of the 'old school' variety as are the former eG / MF crowd, reading 25 different blogs to figure out if new-resto-du-jour is worth going to, just isn't gonna happen. Gimme just ONE place to go to read multiple independent resto reviews. 

Ok, I guess RSS was supposed to address that, but really, did it? How many of you actually have active RSS subscriptions to blogs that track resto openings and reviews?

I have RSS subscriptions to lots of food blogs, some of whom track restaurant openiings but I would think that Eater would aggregate these.

So are you saying that the only "reviewers" in Austin are food bloggers that go to restaurants soft openings, eat for free, and then post their reviews based on those initial nights the restaurant is open?

That's crazy!

#42 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

The pasta sounded yummy

Use of 'yummy' by restaurant critics/food writers in anything other than an ironic way should be verboten and grounds for being forced to eat every meal at Wild Ginger for a month.  That said, the judges on Top Chef use 'yummy' with alarming regularity, so maybe its an in word for the food in-crowd these days. :vomit:

Re Austin: I think restaurant criticism is devolving into blog posts, some of the bloggers just happen to be employed by journalistic organizations.  I read a biography of Craig Claiborne recently, the guy's personal life was a complete dumpster fire, but he was uncompromising in his convictions about staying anonymous and never accepting gifts/benefits from people in the restaurant industry.  The book described how restaurant reviews worked before Claiborne, essentially ads written by the paper after many free meals and other perqs, so now we're coming full circle.

#43 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Providence gives Gastropod.....wait for it........

wait.....

....just a little longer....

....2.5 stars!

For what is, IMO, the most interesting and best value restaurant I've been to in the last couple years in Seattle, this is just continued stupidity of the ST restaurant rating system.

#44 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

Providence's Top 13 restaurants in Seattle!

Which includes Cactus.  Shoot me.

#45 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

Cactus? Seriously? The same Cactus where I go with people who are uncomfortable with anything other than a corporate dining experience?