#1 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Not my favorite chocolate by far but they made a youtube. So here ya go

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c..._embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Apparently they had never heard of Patric Chocolate or Askinoise Chocolate or DeVries or Amano or
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,856 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:05 AM

You gotta remember: they're in Brooklyn. That is the be-all and end-all of artisanal food. rolleyes.gif

I bought one of their bars. Once. Lovely wrapping. There is far better chocolate available for far less money. dry.gif

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:10 AM

I lost interest when I saw their chocolate bars were $7.

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,856 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE(Blondie @ May 5 2010, 10:10 PM) View Post
I lost interest when I saw their chocolate bars were $7.

I didn't see that until after I'd paid for a bunch of stuff. blush.gif

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

Holy bearded wonder twins!

I get them at the co-op for around $4 or $5 I think. No it isn't the best chocolate but some of their unusual flavor combos are worth seeking out. My favorite is the truffle salt version, which is an Unami delight, especially when consumed with bourbon or whisky. And even though I have a sweet tooth the size of a camel, I'm usually satisfied by just eating a row.

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#6 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(Abbylovi @ May 6 2010, 08:00 AM) View Post
Holy bearded wonder twins!

I get them at the co-op for around $4 or $5 I think. No it isn't the best chocolate but some of their unusual flavor combos are worth seeking out. My favorite is the truffle salt version, which is an Unami delight, especially when consumed with bourbon or whisky. And even though I have a sweet tooth the size of a camel, I'm usually satisfied by just eating a row.

For 4 bucks, I'll give them a try.

In fairness, it was the Bedford Cheese Shop that had them priced at $7, so I should have known they'd be less elsewhere.

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#7 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,397 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

the fiancee buys them because she loves the packaging - the chocolate is thoroughly mediocre. The truffle bar mentioned by others is on the very very short list of food stuffs I've spit out
Why not mayo?

#8 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

yah, i have to agree - nice packaging, mediocre chocolate. expensive
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,784 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(Anthony Bonner @ May 6 2010, 01:59 PM) View Post
the fiancee buys them because she loves the packaging - the chocolate is thoroughly mediocre. The truffle bar mentioned by others is on the very very short list of food stuffs I've spit out

Can this marriage be saved?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

i found myself in williamsburg last night for the first time in quite a while. Bedford street is not much different from the MPD, is it? Just a different costume. I did experience a young fellow puking quite a bit on the subway ride home.

My friend noted with glee the proximity of her apartment to Mast Brothers Chocolate. In my usual cynical, snarkiness, I noted that I'm not interested in spending ridiculous amounts of money for things that should be fairly inexpensive.

Well, today as I walked through GC Market, I picked up a bar of Mast dark chocolate with almonds, sea salt and olive oil. For $10. I'm not a fan of dark chocolate, but the other options seemed more revolting. Life is bitter enough, I want my candy to be sweet. This was, let's admit it, not good. The bitterness of the chocolate is enhanced to a positively astringent level. Perhaps from the salt, which I fear rarely has a place in a dessert. After a few more bits, I found the chocolate simply unpleasant and it left my mouth with a dry, sharp, almost bile-y feel.

I understand that it's become ever so sophisticated to move chocolate away from "sweets" towards the spicy. I'm pedestrian enough to admit that I almost never enjoy it. Yes, it might be interesting. Yes, perhaps it's more "complex" than "sweet" chocolate. Yes, it might be more the way the South American Indians, sorely lacking in sugar no doubt, was first forced to eat it. But that is not enough to make it taste good. This doesn't taste good.

Then, however, I found this photograph of the Mast Brothers themselves:

I know what you're thinking. You didn't realize that the Mast Brothers were making chocolate in 1860 to be supplied to the Union Army. You're incorrect. That's the way these dapper fellows dress today. And this photo explains to me that the chocolate is oh so much better than it tastes.

[No, that's not Woody Allen from Bananas:

Or from Annie Hall:

Maybe from Zelig:

]

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#11 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,530 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

this is where i draw the line. wacky chocolate makers should not have untamed facial hair and the chocolate should be worth dying for

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#12 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(Stone @ Jun 6 2010, 05:24 PM) View Post
Then, however, I found this photograph of the Mast Brothers themselves:

They should have stuck to the cough drops.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#13 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:23 AM

their chocolate? i've had it. in both senses of the phrase.

man, i need a headache

#14 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE(Stone @ Jun 6 2010, 05:24 PM) View Post
Well, today as I walked through GC Market, I picked up a bar of Mast dark chocolate with almonds, sea salt and olive oil. For $10. I'm not a fan of dark chocolate, but the other options seemed more revolting. Life is bitter enough, I want my candy to be sweet. This was, let's admit it, not good. The bitterness of the chocolate is enhanced to a positively astringent level. Perhaps from the salt, which I fear rarely has a place in a dessert. After a few more bits, I found the chocolate simply unpleasant and it left my mouth with a dry, sharp, almost bile-y feel.

your review didn't mention the texture of the chocolate. what you're saying may be true but i couldn't get past the texture. chocolate should be creamy, and it should start melting around body temperature. this was coarse -- halfway to cheap mexican hot chocolate chocolate -- and didn't melt.

man, i need a headache

#15 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:38 AM

Does basic incompetence at the espoused craft extend to all NBC?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson