"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#122 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:43 PM

I just like saying "quant". Quant quant quant.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#123 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:04 PM

Poacher turned gamekeeper

#124 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:44 PM

Re car, personally I prefer to have a car in San Sebast because there are great places to go for day trips from there and then you return to the Bastard for a major meal or tapas or gin tonics or midnight skinny dipping or all of the above in that order or whatever order or whatever else you're in the mood for. You are going to experience San Sebast in the evenings and I do not think there is all that much that you need to do there during the day for multiple days in comparison with your other options. Then again, it all depends if you prefer to be totally chill and do nothing, see nothing and just hang. Your choice !

Easy and excellent destinations (assuming you have a good game plan) include days like :

Significant Eater and I have booked a bit of a Spanish vacation to San Sebastian and Barcelona in December before Christmas...it's our favorite time to visit beach cities and towns. 

What if one really doesn't feel like driving? Like abhors the idea (that would be me, though our airbnb host suggests I rent a car to go to Exte or Azur.)

We have no problem with the chill out for a few days in San Sebastian, and a day trip or two via train seems pretty doable (Bilbao/Biarritz maybe).  

I imagine we can still eat pretty well within the confines of San Sebastian - but...

#125 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:51 PM

Yes, you can get to Getaria and Bilbao by public transportation (of course you'd then need a taxi if you want to go to Azurmendi). Etxebarri I think is impossible. I assume you're flying to BCN? otherwise it's a bit of a trek by train or car.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#126 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:00 AM

Yes, you can get to Getaria and Bilbao by public transportation (of course you'd then need a taxi if you want to go to Azurmendi). Etxebarri I think is impossible. I assume you're flying to BCN? otherwise it's a bit of a trek by train or car.

Flying to San Sebastian, train to Barcelona, which looks to be about a 5 - 6 hour train trip (there's literally 1 direct flight a day from EAS to BCN, but not on shabbos when there are none).  Then 5 more nights in Barcelona.

Getaria for a day trip looks quite easy with regular local bus service in under an hour.

#127 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:42 AM

Bio is a bigger airport

#128 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:59 AM

Is it safe to go to San Sebastian?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#129 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:11 AM

Yeah ETA is white.

#130 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:54 AM

It isn't. Many have eaten themselves to death.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#131 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

It isn't. Many have eaten themselves to death.

That's what I'm worried about.

#132 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:54 AM

Our trip to San Sebastian got off to a slightly rocky start, as after landing in Madrid we found our flight to San S had been cancelled, due to the extreme fogginess at MAD; we were rebooked onto a flight some 7-8 hours later, but were lucky enough to squeeze onto the next flight, via waitlist, a mere 3.5 hours later...and there's nothing that makes me happier than looking out the window and seeing this...

31489933132_68b0fe4874_n.jpg

In any event, we hit the ground running once we checked into our apartment, located in the Parte Vieja, and within a stone's throw (not that Stone) of numerous pintxos places. 

Advice given upthread is well taken; see what looks good and move on if not to your liking. But here's another piece of advice: order stuff that comes from the kitchen and hasn't been sitting out for who knows how long. So for example, when we stopped in at Bar Zeruko, this was the spread...

31599410756_d6125ae577.jpg

But we moved on after a quick glass of wine, because no one was in the damn place and it felt cold. But right next to our apartment, it was hopping, so these happened...

31264144470_d669fbb77d.jpg

At Atari gastroteka, which were just great. As were the one or two additional pintxos we wolfed down.

Moving on, just up the kalea to Gandarias Taberna (also open on Monday, which was a necessity)...

31490096462_d96dddf5e8.jpg

The brocheta de pato hit the spot.  Along with a great sherry list. Also crowded and hopping.

I shouldn't really say only order from the kitchen, because you might miss these if you do that...

31520752941_cc4bc35046.jpg

Gildas from Bar Txepetxa.

Our first trad meal, cause who can survive on pintxos alone (well, I think I could)?

31636406665_0fdde782fa.jpg

Advice given upthread is well taken...

30826138373_e50bf43489.jpg

Vegetables even made an appearance...

30826151063_d957e5df36.jpg

Cooked a lot, the way I really like 'em.  And while no turbot was to be had, there was this...

30794862414_bea0cf03d8.jpg

Which was a lot of lenguado (sole) for two people, but we managed.  All in all, a great meal, and a good start to this trip.

#133 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

Go back to Bar Zerouko and get the smoked cod.

Funny, it was jammed when I was there in late April.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#134 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:20 PM

Azurmendi was indeed terrific -- lots of photos and detailed descriptions upthread which mostly cover what I had.  The lobster dish had an intense sauce that was maybe the best sauce I have had in my life. Crazy cheap wine. Perfect service.

Being hypercritical since this is mouthfuls; maybe the menu was a little safe and international: hake pigeon lobster etc. nothing that wouldn't have been out of place anywhere else in the world.  But boy oh boy it tastes great.

#135 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:18 AM

Has anyone had any experience, either first hand or via word of mouth, about:

Xarma Cook & Culture

Zazpi Bar-Restaurante

Galerna Jan Eden

Casa Urola - the restaurant upstairs.