91 replies to this topic

#31 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:11 AM

Speaking about noma, I just received a copy of Rene's cookbook. It's beautiful, but I don't think I'll be able to make any of the recipes. Besides the challenge to source the ingredients, I don't have a sous vide machine, a thermomix machine, etc. Nevertheless, I am enjoying reading the recipes and remembering the stunning dinner I had there in August.

#32 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

For an appetizer, I had these tiny tiny local shrimp that had been cooked in sea water, but are served cold with smoked cheese. This is not a combination I'd have expected, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I spent a week Denmark in 2001 and I still remember those shrimp (fjordrejer). Briny with a really intense flavor. I'm not sure that I ever had them warm, they always seemed to be served cool or cold with really good butter. Smoked cheese sounds like a good match.

yes, we ate those a lot when I lived in Oslo. Wonderful. They're very good raw served off the boat too.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#33 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,899 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

You get them in Hamburg and points north, as well. Someone told me the commercially sold ones get flown to Thailand to get peeled, then get flown back. Is it still local then?
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#34 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

I woke up at 4am to attempt to get a dinner reservation at noma for my parents (the reservation lines via telephone and Internet opened at 10am Danish time). I tried continuously for 1 hour without luck. I must have been extremely lucky last spring -- I secured a table within 5 minutes. Noma is excellent (although I preferred the dinner in 2008 vs. 2010), and, I think, worth the bother of an early rise. Nevertheless, even without a dinner at noma, my parents will not be lacking for excellent meals in Copenhagen given Geranium, AOC, Sollerod Kro, Fiskbaren, etc.

#35 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

There's a nice mention of Relae in Copenhagen in this weekend's Wall Street Journal:

Chad (Robertson, of San Francisco's Tartine Bakery): The most surprising meal we had recently was in Copenhagen at Relae. It's this young guy, Christian Puglisi, who was the sous chef at Noma. He was born in Italy and raised in Denmark. The first course was sunchokes, slow-roasted until black, so they had a crispy-chewy outside and were soft in the middle, served with a mustard cream. And there were whole-roasted parsnips with pecorino and a special paper-thin seaweed from Brittany.

Relae website

Jægersborggade 41
2200 Copenhagen, Denmark
3696 6609

another review
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#36 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

Thomas Herman has left the Nimb Hotel, where his restaurant has been replaced by a new restaurant run by Allan Poulsen, formerly of a well-regarded restaurant in Jutland.

Anybody know anything about this?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#37 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Spent most of last week in Copenhagen with an old friend. Overall, I thought the food was very good.

Radio

This was my favorite meal.

Scallop / Spring Cabbage / Mustard / Cress

Cod / Cucumber / Horseradish / Seaweed

Fennel / Høost / Capers / Parsley

Veal Flank / Onion / More Onion

Rhubarb / Beetroot / Malt / Milk

Five courses 400 dkk

Three courses 300 dkk

The baby scallops were sweet and beautifully seared; the cabbage and mustard lightened the dish. The cod dish was cold (on purpose) and delicate. I could’ve eaten a huge plate of the fennel on its own—it was done just right and so richly satisfying. The veal came in thin long strips, with a light sauce that I can’t recall, and just the right sized portion. The dessert was refreshing and not sweet at all with interesting chunks of baked beetroot along with poached rhubarb.

Nice walk too from city center through Frederiksberg residential area to get to it.

Manfred’s & Vin

In a trendy street in the Nørrebro district (that bears a strong resemblance to Park Slope), it does what’s considered, I guess, somewhat stereotypical modern Nordic cuisine. We went for the 7 small plates to share plus a dish of the simply steamed or boiled crayfish (a special) which were small but flavorsome. All 7 dishes were surprises created by the chef, and split came to $43 per person. There was lots of food.

The highlights for me were:

Smashed beetroot served alongside goat’s cheese with a separate green salad with nasturtium and their lightly pickled seeds (I especially took to the latter).

Oven baked onions with new garlic

Another green salad with cod roe

Potatoes (seemed fried) and root veg with poached egg

Less successful, we thought, was a light but at the same time mushy pork terrine with horseradish and cucumber on top.

On being moved inside at 9 PM prompt (regulations), we then had slow cooked beef in a parsley sauce. Beef was nicely cooked and tender, but didn’t rock my boat.

It was interesting and largely very good, but nothing had a wow factor. Great walk around Assistens Kirkegard before dinner; on a par with Père Lachaise, me thinks.

Sister restaurant that looked a little more formal is across the street and called Relae. (See Rail Paul mentions above.)

Nimb Brasserie

Went here on my final day by myself. It was all very quiet on a lovely sunny day and I had a table by open French doors overlooking the Tivoli Gardens. I’m pretty sure the menu on the website is accurate:

Fried foie gras with poached rhubarb, Madeira sauce and Madagascar pepper

Fried chicken breast with carrots, beets & chicken sauce with hearts

Glass of champagne Deutz Brut and glass of Barbera d’Ruvei, plus side of new pots, and a bottle Hildon water all came to 82 Euros ($106) inclu service. The meal was somewhat predictable, but the food was very well executed. The chicken breast (French cut) was especially juicy and falvoursome.

Restaurant l'Alsace

Just came across it in the Strogot shopping district. Has a pretty outside garden, but the food (for me, plaice with new potatoes) was lackluster. A rhubarb tart was fine.

Also lackluster was a steak in Nyhavn, but didn’t have high hopes in this touristy area. Salt looked very promising but my friend doesn’t care for sweetbreads and game (chiz).

Cafés

I recommend Café Oven Vande in Christianshavn. My sandwich, Parma ham, avocado, artichoke, arugula, and salsa romesco 
was delicious. Good starting off point before walking around Christiania—I didn’t think I’d be so taken with this long-standing hippie community but it was fascinating and beautiful. 

[Cafe In Malmo (day trip to Sweden—highly recommend Malmo and just ½ hr from Copenhagen by train)

Lilla Kafferosteriet (Baltzarsgatan 24A).

Scrumptious open sandwiches: roast beef on brown bread with remoulade on top as described by Sneak upthread (tinged yellow coz of the turmeric).]

Hotel

Guldsmeden Carlton in the Vesterbro area (people say up and coming district of Copenhagen) is quirky and the recently refurbished bedrooms are mainly Asian in design. Liked it a lot and handy for station.

It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#38 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

Interesting. Yesterday I began booking restaurants for July when I plan to be there. Many of the recommendations are closed in July so I made reservations at Fiskbaren which Sneak enjoyed and found Radio and reserved there. So I'm quite happy to read you enjoyed your meal there.

Will probably get to Relae for lunch one day.

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Where is Radio?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

1632 Kobenhavn V.

It gets excellent reviews on-line and is reasonably priced for a Copenhagen place. 

#41 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

A couple of blocks south of Vesterbro Metro which we didn't use. And around 1/2hr walk NW of central station. 

#42 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Oh, so in Vesterbro. Got it. Thanks.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#43 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

I hope you weren't with your husband when you had that great-looking Radio dessert. I can only imagine what he'd say.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#44 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

No, G stayed home --just me and my chum. He has no inclination to go to Copenhagen. Can't move for BEETS.

#45 bolderite

bolderite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

Thanks  for the report Yvonne. We are booked at Radio and staying a few blocks away from the Carlton. Looking forward to our trip.