32 replies to this topic

#1 backstory

backstory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

two places to stop by after the visits to the museums and palaces (besides coffee and pastries, that is). one is on dorotheer right out of josef's platz called Trzesniewski (we decide the tr is silent) which looks like a little wine bar- cozy, with tiny tables in stools in nooks and corners, tightly packed. they have small rectangles of 25 varieties of open face sandwiches that you can pick from and a clerk places them on your plate. beer for 1 euro - a wine glass size which was perfect for me - it was cold, clean tasting and delightful.

the other is behind the St.Stehen cathedral on Stephans Platz on Lugeck called Sababa - falafal, shwarma. great stuff. our waiter spoke to us in urdu - he was a hazara from pakistan.

vienna is beautiful, opulent. great contrast from budapest from where we drove in.
In the end, it's all a rental. - hollywood

#2 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Any recent recommendations for Vienna? I am going in a few weeks; got time for a nice meal at some point,

A

#3 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

Bump .. nobody's been to Vienna?

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

This series of posts is old enough to be worhtless. But I'll link them so as not to seem unresponsive.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,141 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

I was there in '06 and the only place of note I ate was at the MAK - where Sneak ate.

My first post here was also about Vienna (That no one responded to)

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#6 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

There is a pattern ...

thanks anyway Sneak and AB -- I don't know why my search missed that thread.

#7 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

It's been about three years, but we had a nice meal with friends at Zum Schwarzen Kameel. I can't vouch for it personally but this looks really appealing to me (from Sueddeutsche Zeitung:) 

Plachutta

Hier ist nicht nur der Tafelspitz spitze. In ihrer schicken City-Gastwirtschaft servieren Ewald Plachutta und sein Team über ein Dutzend Arten von gekochtem Rindfleisch, und zwar, wie es sich gehört: in der Rindsuppe, mit Apfelkren, Rösterdäpfeln und Schnittlauchsauce. Tgl. | Wollzeile 38 | Tel.5121577 | www.plachutta.at | U 3 Stubentor

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#8 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

Here is the link, in case you can get through some German there are quite a few tips and SZ is usually reliable for German-speaking cities. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#9 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

I went to Steirereck but that was in 2004. The Steirereck of 2004 was quite good, but I don't now what it's like now. I don't know the names of any of the other places we ate at.

#10 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:15 AM

I may go in a few weeks, but have done no research yet.

#11 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:31 AM

I put in a request to a friend who lives there. Hopefully she'll get back to me with some recommendations for you.

#12 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,898 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:06 AM

It's been forever, but I recall very good meals at Steirereck and at Hotel Imperial.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#13 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

not sure whether this helps, i was there a few weeks ago and the following were acceptable:

gasthaus poschl (asparagus soup, schnitzel)

skopik & lohn (snails, pike perch)

breakfast at cafe landtmann 

I would really recommend a place called Espresso--best coffee I had in Vienna, and a good breakfast. It looked like they had an interesting lunch menu http://espresso-wien.at/ --it's on a stretch of Berggasse probably past its prime hipness. 

Immortal space traveler.

#14 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

So the high end was revolting but it was Spargel season and so the more modest establishments were quite good.

We went to the sister restaurant of Plachutta which Behemoth recommended, and which got other recommendations,

this is Plachutta Gasthaus next to the Staatsoper.

Also a fairly basic Italian next to Cafe Landtmann called Cantinetta am Ring which was solid.

Other than that a culinary washout,  but the opera was very solid (La Traviata) and I love the Kunsthistoriches museum which is as good a place to look at great old paintings as anywhere in the world.

#15 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Any recent recommendations for Vienna? I am going in a few weeks; got time for a nice meal at some point,

A

have not been around recently but if not too late, this piece is based on our trip in May 2012: http://www.winemag.c...ination-Vienna/

a bite at Urbanek in the market  is a must - terrific charcuterie and cheeses plus some great older GV and Rieslings to be had - just give them some parameters and ask  what they have - they have a bunch of great bottles stashed away and will pour many of then BTG.

Plachutta (mini-chain with we few locations) has a spot-on schnitzel and some older vintages too in the sea of the youngest wines possible that everyone in Austria wants to drink

For a more upscale dining experience and the best cellar in the country head to Palais Coburg.

Pub Klemo is another great wine destination - all the sommeliers there love it but it was closed when we went, they roll up the carpet early there

Enjoy!

“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.