32 replies to this topic

#16 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Nothing first hand but the following might be worth investigating ...

When I was dining at Azurmendi this past summer, I chatted for a bit with a very interesting, well-traveled and stylish couple from Vienna ... he, an architect.

Asking them about fine dining in Vienna, they responded with the following :

1) Restaurant Taubenkobel ... but this is an hour south of Vienna !

2) Konstantin Filippou ... http://www.konstanti...ining-room.html

A slight point of interest is that I believe that he said that he was either the architect or somehow involved with the design of these two places. Nonetheless, my sense is that they are probably interesting, modern and should be on the radar until proven otherwise.

He also said that the Palais Coburg (chef Silvio Nikol) is quite good if you want that type of special event meal. 

#17 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

Nothing first hand but the following might be worth investigating ...

When I was dining at Azurmendi this past summer, I chatted for a bit with a very interesting, well-traveled and stylish couple from Vienna ... he, an architect.

Asking them about fine dining in Vienna, they responded with the following :

1) Restaurant Taubenkobel ... but this is an hour south of Vienna !

2) Konstantin Filippou ... http://www.konstanti...ining-room.html

A slight point of interest is that I believe that he said that he was either the architect or somehow involved with the design of these two places. Nonetheless, my sense is that they are probably interesting, modern and should be on the radar until proven otherwise.

He also said that the Palais Coburg (chef Silvio Nikol) is quite good if you want that type of special event meal. 

Are you still hoarding 1909-1982 pennies, waiting for the big melt down when the penny is ditched?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#18 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

Just got back from a spectacular five-day trip in Vienna. Visited 11 Christmas Markets and six outstanding restaurants.

Umar in the Naschmarkt is called the best fish restaurant in Vienna and it lived up to its billing. Plachutta by the Opera House has excellent schnitzel as well as some outstanding apps. Bought their cookbook.

Walter Bauer was incredible old world ambiance meets new world techniques.

Dom Biesl was upscale Viennese with top flight venison and a great local wine list.

Palais Coburg is Per Se done right. Outstanding, polished and fun, it's food is a cross between WD-50 and Stone Barns. Best wine list outside of Bern's I've ever seen. It was the only time we didn't have Austrian wine. We ordered a 1985 Fair Hill Cabernet from Sonoma, which was purchased at auction by the owner, for 51 euro. The wine steward didn't know anything about the wine, so I told him what a steal it was and the winery hasn't been in existence for 12 years. We picked up two women at the next table and they sat with us to finish the second (and last) bottle. Spectacular experience. 

Mraz and Sohn. If there is a better restaurant in world, I would be shocked. Incredible wine list and incredible prices. The food has no rival that I've ever tasted. It's certainly modernistic in its approach and service, but with old world elegance. I'll leave you with this - you are presented with a cheese course prior to dessert. The cart is rolled over to you, by that time six accompaniments on six different dishes have been placed in front of each diner. Now you are presented with a choice of 50 cheeses - they suggest you start with five. You are then offered a selection of 25 restaurant-baked breads. The only negative is location. We stayed across the street from the Opera House and it was a 20-minute cab drive. However it would have been worth a 200-minute cab ride. Nothing else can match this experience. If you have one meal in Vienna - this is it. Dinner was about 400 euro all in, but we had two bottles of wine and added the truffles. Six course tasting menu was 83 euro per person - a complete bargain. It's worth the airfare just to eat.

Finally we stayed at The Guest House - a very new 39-room hotel in the First District. Spacious room and bathroom. Attentive service, nice restaurant and so clean, I made sure to wipe my feet before entering the lobby.

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,780 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

I fucking STAYED in the Palais Coburg and I had to miss that restaurant because it was CLOSED for vacation.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,780 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

But I'm not bitter or anything.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

That sounds like a fabulous trip, Rich.  With the Euro heading south, that could be even more affordable this winter.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#22 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

We're considering a week in Vienna over Christmas/New Year.  

Any suggestions?

Anyone know how snowy it gets?  Will we be able to rent a car for day trips outside of the city?

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#23 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,871 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

Make sure you make a reservation for someplace to eat on the 24th. I think there's someone on Chowhound who is an active poster and seems to know the city well.

Even if it snows driving is usually fine, roads cleared quickly, good tires etc. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#24 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:46 PM

I'll be in Vienna for two nights next month.  Open to all sorts of suggestions.  I see that Rich was there two years ago.

I should note that I'll be solo and so bar dining is still my preference...

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#25 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:31 AM

The NY Times has a travel section article for folks interested in visiting places where Mozart lived, and where he is buried.  The Vienna homes are within a few blocks of StephensDom.

And a suggestion of dinner at Greichenbeisel, conveniently located on Fleishcmarkt.  Serving canivores since 1447.

http://www.nytimes.c...art-vienna.html

#26 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:13 AM

The NY Times has a travel section article for folks interested in visiting places where Mozart lived, and where he is buried.  The Vienna homes are within a few blocks of StephensDom.

And a suggestion of dinner at Greichenbeisel, conveniently located on Fleishcmarkt.  Serving canivores since 1447.

http://www.nytimes.c...art-vienna.html

I missed the opening, but was there in '48.

#27 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

The only positive recommendation I have is for an Israeli place, Neni's,  in Naschmarkt -- good for breakfast if you are in that part of town.

Also the DO & CO cafe at the Albertina is good for a light lunch and quite elegant. 

#28 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

The only positive recommendation I have is for an Israeli place, Neni's,  in Naschmarkt -- good for breakfast if you are in that part of town.

Also the DO & CO cafe at the Albertina is good for a light lunch and quite elegant. 

Thank you for both.

#29 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:13 PM

what a beautiful city.  Palais Coburg and Walter Bauer were closed for August of course.  the Naschmarkt isn't as stunning now as it probably would have been a decade or so ago...but still interesting.  I went to a branch (the Opera House one) of the Plachutta chain...they're most known for their tafelspitz...it was pretty good for boiled beef....but pho is better.  still boiled beef though.

the coffee houses are all adorable of course.  oh, and they actually give you tap water with cocktails in Vienna (it's a problem with having a serious cocktail culture in most of Europe, you have to order bottled water with your drinks).  the Blaue Bar at the Hotel Sacher is gorgeous and competent.  ditto for the Loos American Bar.

Salzburg has good food btw. 

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#30 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:50 PM

what a beautiful city.  Palais Coburg and Walter Bauer were closed for August of course.  the Naschmarkt isn't as stunning now as it probably would have been a decade or so ago...but still interesting.  I went to a branch (the Opera House one) of the Plachutta chain...they're most known for their tafelspitz...it was pretty good for boiled beef....but pho is better.  still boiled beef though.

the coffee houses are all adorable of course.  oh, and they actually give you tap water with cocktails in Vienna (it's a problem with having a serious cocktail culture in most of Europe, you have to order bottled water with your drinks).  the Blaue Bar at the Hotel Sacher is gorgeous and competent.  ditto for the Loos American Bar.

Salzburg has good food btw. 

Was Mraz and Sohn open?