• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(Jaymes @ May 18 2009, 12:02 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ May 18 2009, 01:43 PM) View Post
when i left anchorage, i took all the fine dining with me

Did you pack it out on your pony?

And, I just presumed it was all Jaymes' sister's fault rolleyes.gif .

#18 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(Evelyn @ May 18 2009, 03:07 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Jaymes @ May 18 2009, 12:02 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ May 18 2009, 01:43 PM) View Post
when i left anchorage, i took all the fine dining with me

Did you pack it out on your pony?

And, I just presumed it was all Jaymes' sister's fault rolleyes.gif .

oh yes, right. that's exactly whose fault it is. i was mistaken, earlier

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#19 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,216 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

Homer is a very nice little town. Good fish out on the spit (the long, scimtar shaped projection of land into the bay).

The White Pass & Yukon train ride is quite enjoyable, and we found Skagway to be pleasant. Stayed in a former bordello, lavishly decorated with photos of former residents, etc. We rented a car and chased later trains up the hill.

We took a water taxi down to Haines, and hired a guide to take us a little ways into the bush. Saw remote waterfalls, hundreds of eagles, etc.
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#20 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ May 18 2009, 03:26 PM) View Post
Homer is a very nice little town. Good fish out on the spit (the long, scimtar shaped projection of land into the bay).

The White Pass & Yukon train ride is quite enjoyable, and we found Skagway to be pleasant. Stayed in a former bordello, lavishly decorated with photos of former residents, etc. We rented a car and chased later trains up the hill.

We took a water taxi down to Haines, and hired a guide to take us a little ways into the bush. Saw remote waterfalls, hundreds of eagles, etc.

Sounds like a great trip, RP. Guess you didn't stay in Haines, but there is a wonderful B&B there at the old Ft. Seward, in one of the former officer's quarters. Haines is the town where most Alaskans go to catch the Alaska State Ferries, and we stayed in that B&B several times coming and going. The Hotel Halsingland is in the old Ft. Seward Bachelor Officers' Quarters.

And the Haines Salmon Bake is also highly recommended. The Chilkat Dancers put on a terrific show with folk tales and dancing in their famous 'Dancing Blankets.'

Ft. Seward B&B

Halsingland Hotel

Haines, Alaska

The Voice of America

#21 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(SLBunge @ May 18 2009, 01:24 PM) View Post
My parents are celebrating their 50th Anniversary by taking the family to Alaska to show us some of their favorite spots.

The Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage hasn't been there so very long, so depending upon when your parents were previously in Alaska, it's unlikely to be one of their "favorite spots."

Still, I cannot possibly recommend it highly enough.

Alaska Native Heritage Center

The Voice of America

#22 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:46 AM

I didn't make it to the market in Anchorage. We had a pretty limited amount of time in Anchorage. Two unremarkable dinners at downtown bar and grill sort of places (one was a brewpub). But there were a couple of spots downtown that were worth mentioning:

Urban Greens (304 G Street) has good sandwiches and salads and is reasonably priced. No local seafood but a nice spot for a reasonably quick lunch.

Side Street Espresso (412 G Street) is a great coffee shop owned and run by a couple of locals who run slightly left of center. They have an old espresso machine with pull handles for shots and the espresso was quite good. Really friendly people.

The food we had in downtown Juneau was pretty much forgettable. My parents insisted that we go to the Red Dog Saloon for dinner (along with what appeared to be everyone from the three cruise ships at the docks). The bar scene in downtown Juneau was interesting. My niece and nephew and I stopped into a bar to play some pool and met some very friendly locals who told stories about growing up in town, the canneries, and the fishing from the town dock.

We had a good meal out by the airport in Juneau at a place called the Broiler Steak and Seafood in the Nugget Mall. It looked a bit grim from the outside but was incredibly well-run and the food was quite good. I had the fried halibut and chips and it was the best chunks of halibut I had on the trip. And perfectly fried.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#23 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE(SLBunge @ Jul 6 2009, 09:46 PM) View Post
The food we had in downtown Juneau was pretty much forgettable. My parents insisted that we go to the Red Dog Saloon for dinner (along with what appeared to be everyone from the three cruise ships at the docks). The bar scene in downtown Juneau was interesting. My niece and nephew and I stopped into a bar to play some pool and met some very friendly locals who told stories about growing up in town, the canneries, and the fishing from the town dock.

Don't guess you made it to the bar in the Alaskan Hotel...

The Voice of America

#24 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,216 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

If you have the opportunity to do a seaplane or bush plane trip, I highly encourage it.

Most planes are six to ten seaters, and often fly just a few hundred feet off the ground. So, you can get heart stopping views of wildlife, waterfalls, whales frolicing, etc. We flew from Juneau to Skagway in a six seater, over herds of deer, some bison, etc. Other than the fire in our port engine and a near heart attack landing in a box canyon at Skagway, it was a great flight.

They also weigh you to decide where you'll be seated for weight and balance purposes.
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#25 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,216 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

NY Times offers a "36 Hours" article for short time visitors to Alaska's largest city.

Middle Way Cafe for reindeer sausage, or pancakes.

Drinks in the Crow's Nest on the 20th floor of the Hotel Captain Cook

Fire Island Rustic Bake Shop for a chocolate chip cookie or porchetta sandwich from a James Beard nominated baker

Kincaid Grill on a back street near the airport for superb fish

Mentions of various restaurants, coffee shops etc not being out of place in Seattle or Brooklyn. The author seems to regard that as a good thing.

https://www.nytimes....age-alaska.html

Niccolò Machiavelli

#26 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

For those who enjoy dogs, bakeries, and Instagram, the fire island bakery has a whole feed of sad dogs who are not allowed inside the bakery (@saddogsoffireislabd)