44 replies to this topic

#1 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

On the "Do you care about location" thread, there was a long discussion about Tom Colicchio's Riverpark when it was announced in June.

I was of the opinion then, and still am, that it's tough to open a fine dining restaurant in a location where such places have no historical track record of succeeding (or frankly, even existing). Others argued that "this'll be one helluva cash cow for upscale lunch business. Bellevue, NYU Med Ctr and the VA all have a lot of very high paid administrators, Doctors and Pharm. reps. who need a place."

Well, it's open now, and we'll all find out. The good news is that the food is much better than it was at Colicchio & Sons, when that place was new. Those who never bought into Colicchio's style of cooking won't suddenly be enchanted, but the food is well done -- exactly what I would assume the food at the earlier place was supposed to be, only done right this time. It is also less expensive, and the East River views are exactly as promised.

The bad news is that it's even more remote and inaccessible than I expected. There's an unmarked gate at 29th & First. Then, you walk up a long, unmarked driveway. Then, you enter a door into an unmarked lobby, follow a corridor having all the charm of an auto dealership, and finally get to the restaurant. If they wanted to ensure that no one would find the place serendipitously, they could not have done a better job. If you are coming from outside the neighborhood, it's at least a half-mile walk from the nearest subway station.

The other bit of bad news is that they'll have to wait seven months to make use of the outdoor terrace, where dining at Riverpark will be at its most charming. There is nothing wrong with the dining room, where anyone who likes Craft will feel right at home, but there is nothing special about it either.

As I noted on the blog, this might be the best deal among Colicchio's restaurants, as it is quite a bit less expensive than Craft or Colicchio & Sons. It might even be better than Colicchio & Sons (that place might have improved since most of us panned it), but you'll hike a long way to get there.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,292 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

They should play the theme from Get Smart along that walk.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:58 PM

Fried chicken ($17) and cheeseburger ($14) on the bar menu. :)

I expect a report from Dr. J, who has bemoaned the lack of decent places in his work neighborhood. It's still a hike for him, but is anyone else closer?

Butter is a little like money and alcohol. It doesn't solve any problems but may help smooth over a few. -- voyager, 13 October 2017 - 9:49 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#4 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

ha, my husband flat out refused to go there because it's "in the middle of nowhere"
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#5 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

Well at least Peggy works just one floor below the restaurant - she gets there easy.

#6 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,457 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

ha, my husband flat out refused to go there because it's "in the middle of nowhere"

It's the Montrachet or USC of East Nowheresville.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#7 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Fried chicken ($17) and cheeseburger ($14) on the bar menu. :)

I expect a report from Dr. J, who has bemoaned the lack of decent places in his work neighborhood. It's still a hike for him, but is anyone else closer?

Well at least Peggy works just one floor below the restaurant - she gets there easy.

Peggy wins!

So now I expect a review from Rich. Assuming he meets Peggy at work sometime.

Butter is a little like money and alcohol. It doesn't solve any problems but may help smooth over a few. -- voyager, 13 October 2017 - 9:49 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#8 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

Others argued that "this'll be one helluva cash cow for upscale lunch business. Bellevue, NYU Med Ctr and the VA all have a lot of very high paid administrators, Doctors and Pharm. reps. who need a place."

And, more to the point, executives from the biotech companies that are expected to occupy that building and the three others that are planned.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#9 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

Well, I don't know where they come from but it was nearly full last night between 7:30 and 9:30.

Nice room. Horribly uncomfortable bar stools. Kitchen still a WIP. Or at least I hope so. If that snapper was meant to be cooked that much it'll be a disaster.

With a 20% discount for the first few weeks, $85 all in for three courses, two glasses of wine and a calvados.

#10 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

I went to Riverpark, though under an assumed identity for purposes of objectivity (and not getting the boot). Overall, an enjoyable meal, though the restaurant's logic/business concept continue to baffle me.
Here are my (rather lengthy) thoughts:

http://thecollegecri...r-at-riverpark/
Immortal space traveler.

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,930 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for the link. After craftsteak and Colicchio & Sons - and despite Craft - I need to read several positive reports before risking it. Not like it's convenient for anywhere I am likely to be going either.

Stirrings Still at the Pig: Boston and Made Nice

At the Sign of the Pink Pig

#12 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for the link. After craftsteak and Colicchio & Sons - and despite Craft - I need to read several positive reports before risking it. Not like it's convenient for anywhere I am likely to be going either.

You guys talk about this place as if it were somewhere in Peoria rather than on the farthest east side of Manhattan.
"I mispoke."

#13 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:46 AM

You guys talk about this place as if it were somewhere in Peoria rather than on the farthest east side of Manhattan.

It really is a trek by public transport. The nearest subway is over half a mile so a visit by public transport involves [shudder]busses[/shudder].

#14 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:48 AM

Taxi from the East Village would be $10-12?
"I mispoke."

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,292 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:53 AM

But why would you take a taxi to Riverpark when there are so many places at least as good where you can just hop in the subway or walk?

(I'd walk to Riverpark myself. But then I walked something like two miles to eat at Korzo last night.)

And also, when you finish dinner and walk out of the restaurant, you're like nowhere. I tend to think that's a problem for many people, just psychologically (or whatever the right word is) -- even those who don't admit it. It's certainly a problem for me. Just puts a gloomy end on the evening.
Bar Loser

MF Old