#31 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,746 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

A few additions:

Forgot to mention the housemade hot sauce that came with the chicken. Described as "Tabasco" but it tasted and looked more like Sontava without the solids: nice fruity and veggie undertones.

The chicken is still crunchy after being in the fridge all night. Still a bit bland, of course.

My doggy bag was a container that looks like an eco-friendly version of a Styrofoam clamshell. And the outer bag for carrying it is quite impressive: a real fabric bag that folds up for easy carrying, tastefully printed with the restaurant's info. Fortunately, it is washable (fortunate since the clamshell leaked grease).

I didn't even realize that the place was reviewed in the Times yesterday until late at night. I was surprised that anything was mentioned as oversalted -- maybe that where all the salt in the kitchen goes, or maybe it just seems oversalted by comparison to other dishes. The one thing I did learn: I will never read a review by Sifton again. WTF is he trying to say? Hate his writing style. Even if we did agree about the restrooms. :P

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#32 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

At least one Medical Center department has begun holding receptions at Riverpark which must help with the bottom line.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#33 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

I can't complain about the location, because we hopped on a select bus at Allen and Grand and were dropped off less than a block from the restaurant a mere 10 minutes later. And it's amazing to see that large restaurant garden on the walk over from the avenue.

I can't complain about the service because it was good.

And I can't complain about the food, because what the 3 of us ordered was mighty good. My baby octopus starter was perhaps the highlight of dinner - because I have never tasted such a perfect nage, if that's what you'd call the broth it was in. The octopus itself had a smoky char and was just right tender. One of our party order the scallops, but who the hell would ever order those in a restaurant?! They were cooked properly, that is just past raw, and were as sweet as the scallops I buy at the greenmarket.

My lamb "T-bone"/ribs and my wife's tomato leaf pasta were delicious. Desserts, which also included a small cheese plate - good too.

I like that wines are available by the half-glass as well as full pour. Prices were reasonable all around., though by the time we were done, we had dropped $100 pp.

#34 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

Beginning last Monday, Riverpark began a no corkage fee Monday program - just as Montrachet had in its final few years. I plan on being there this Monday with some 70's and 80's Amarone(s) and/or Brunello(s).

If anyone is interested, it's a great concept. When Montrachet had it, we went many times.

#35 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Beginning last Monday, Riverpark began a no corkage fee Monday program - just as Montrachet had in its final few years. I plan on being there this Monday with some 70's and 80's Amarone(s) and/or Brunello(s).

If anyone is interested, it's a great concept. When Montrachet had it, we went many times.

Really?! This Monday...

#36 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

I guess it's time for the annual post about Riverpark.  Sig Eater and I (based on her suggestion), headed to Riverpark on Saturday night.  We only wanted to sit at the bar, so despite the fact that open table showed no reservations until 9:15, we headed up around 7:30, and walked in to find many open bar seats.  My guess is they do a pretty bang-up lunch biz as well as after-work, because the bar menu is quite nice.

I'll note that this is one of those restaurants where I'm happily not the oldest person in the room; not by a long-shot, as a matter of fact.  And even though the noise level rose as the tables filled a little later, it's quite mellow.

I'm also guessing that a summer Saturday night in mid-July brings the A- or B team out for service. Not that our service at the bar was bad; it's just that I could tell the single bartender working both service and the bar was, at times, in the weeds a bit.  Probably they don't get many people coming in on said Saturday night in July to eat at the bar at prime time.  Cocktails were ok, there's a decent enough btg list as well as nice beers, sherries and even a cider for me.

The food was really good.  Once again, I doubt many people are mixing their orders with stuff from the bar menu and regular menu, but we sure did. The hamachi/avocado salad was excellent, a perfectly ripe avocado helping the hamachi along just right.  The paella rice balls are good too - six to an order, and once we had finished those two starters, my wife actually thought we might've had enough food...fat chance, though - if I'm schlepping to 29th and the river, I'm having a full dinner.

So, both the fried chicken and the fish tacos were ordered.  And both were delicious; places that serve fish tacos could probably learn from these. The fried chicken was 3 hefty pieces (leg, thigh and half-breast with wing attached) for $17. The 3 tacos were $15.  Total bill with 3 cocktails, 2 glasses of wine was $126 before t&t.  

This is just another of those places that isn't on the f-word's radar necessarily, but certainly worthy of a visit any time you feel like a grown-up place.

COMP DISCLOSURE:  Refills on cider and sherry.

#37 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,467 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

It's funny. I've never been here -- but I very commonly recommend it to people looking for "grown-up" restaurants, and they're always happy with it.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#38 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,746 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

I like that: "on the f-word's radar" :D

If I wanted to take someone from out of town to a really nice place and sit outside to partake of a great NYC view and very good food, this would be it. In fact, I did exactly that last summer, although it was too hot so we sat inside.

Sneak, you really should go. The only possible drawback, after its waaaaaaaaaay out-of-the-way location (unless you hang around Bellevue or are in med hi-tech) is the corporate look, à la North End Grill. But I have really enjoyed all my meals there, including that great fried chicken at my first lunch there, and a super Thanksgiving dinner.

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,467 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

I'm positive I'd really like it.

I think it's just the location that keeps putting me off.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

At least it's not midtown.

One thing right now is that the city is doing a bunch of construction along the river (shoring up bulkheads I think) so there is a big crane that's quite visible.  You just have to avert your eyes and look south a bit...

14466834070_88021f25f5.jpg

#41 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

If you drive, there's comp. parking. We really like the bar menu...especially the fried chicken & tacos.

This space available… contact owner.

#42 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

Had dinner here for the first time last Tuesday with my gf, Rich, and Peggy.  On Tuesdays they have free corkage - I brought a champagne, Rich brought a couple of terrific aged reds.  We started off with the fried chicken to share as a pre-appetizer - of course it was terrific, and came with two excellent biscuits.  I ordered the spaccatelli with smoked lamb for my appetizer - this was a nice sized bowl of pasta with lamb and red sauce.  Good stuff.  For my main, the duck breast - this was two slices of duck breast, garnished with some vedge.  Ironically it seemed like the mains were portioned smaller than the appetizers - with the exception of the dorade, which was served whole.  The cheese plate was excellent, and the peanut butter bavarois was terrific, too.  The bill came to like $148 per couple before tip, I think.  A very good deal on free corkage nights.

Man about town.

#43 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,746 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:30 AM

I mentioned in passing upthread that we had a terrific Thanksgiving dinner there (I guess it was 2013, when we were in the midst of getting ready to move so I wasn't cooking). Might consider doing that again this year. Thanks for the reminder.

#44 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

I just received an email that the Little River Beer Garden has opened at Riverpark. 

#45 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

Great space!!! Nice menu.

One of my go to spots.