181 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,270 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

In which I get "opinionated about" the best coffee bars in town. Tell me why I'm wrong:

The Big Apple

(Er, couple of phrases in there you can thank an editor for, i.e. anything twee.)

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:11 PM

Zibetto isn't in the same league, imho, but the rest of the list is solid.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

Zibetto isn't in the same league, imho, but the rest of the list is solid.

Zibetto's good for the area, not good for the city. I still think that Joe is excellent.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#4 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

Wilf - Where is Quadronno's midtown location, which you mention in the Pink Pig?

#5 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

is the stumptown at the ace hotel better than the one in brooklyn? i've all but stopped going to the one in brooklyn -- serious consistency issues.

i've never liked ninth street espresso but i think i'm in the minority.

man, i need a headache

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

btw, it looks like abraco might roast their own before 2011 is over.

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,270 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

Wilf - Where is Quadronno's midtown location, which you mention in the Pink Pig?

Puzzled. I don't know of one. Where do I mention that?

#8 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

Puzzled. I don't know of one. Where do I mention that?

i think it's under V

man, i need a headache

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

i've never liked ninth street espresso but i think i'm in the minority.

They're surprisingly consistent, even across locations.

Btw, there are several counter culture driven bars now - Bluebird and Everyman to name a couple. I think Bluebird would fit in that list, Everyman is more of a pure takeout joint due to its location.

There's also Caffetteria Soho, which is yet to acquire a vibe but uses Blue Bottle (too dark for me)

La Colombe is not as good as it should be, although there are some terrifically nice guys working the Lafayette location.

Gimme is totally random. Ost is random with an even higher standard deviation, and can get downright unpleasant when they're fighting the laptop warriors.

#10 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,605 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Just curious. Are there people who will travel more than a block and a half for a cup of coffee?

#11 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

Just curious. Are there people who will travel more than a block and a half for a cup of coffee?

yes, but not for the coffee exclusively. it could tip the balance between going to one neighborhood or another.

man, i need a headache

#12 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

Are you all exclusively espresso drinkers? We've been having an interesting time drinking our way through the single origin offerings from Stumptown. Usually made at home in a french press. We've got a Silvia at home, but it maybe gets turned on once or twice a week - whereas I used to use it everyday (and can produce a very good but not great espresso from it pretty readily)

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#13 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

Are you all exclusively espresso drinkers? We've been having an interesting time drinking our way through the single origin offerings from Stumptown. Usually made at home in a french press. We've got a Silvia at home, but it maybe gets turned on once or twice a week - whereas I used to use it everyday (and can produce a very good but not great espresso from it pretty readily)

no, we hardly drink espresso at home.

when it was warm we were just cold brewing cheap coffee overnight and having it over ice -- i've yet to be convinced that the quality of coffee matters enough. for a while we were cutting it with chicory, which i enjoyed at first but got tired of. imho coffee with chicory needs lots of cream and sugar, which is fine once in a while.

now that it's got cooler, it's time to buy some new coffee.

man, i need a headache

#14 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

I drink coffee every which way, including at-home Silvia, drip, french, moka, vacuum, et.al.

I think most of the consistency issues at coffee shops arise not necessarily from the coffee, but from the person (s) making or brewing the coffee, the water, the cleanliness of the equipment, etc., and i rarely buy a cup of coffee or an espresso "out." I certainly don't go out of my way for an espresso, but if I'm near Abraco or Joe or Ninth Street, I'll pop in.

Lately I've been buying extremely fresh single-origin Stumptown beans, and they brew up a great cup of coffee. When Counter Culture's espresso beans are available to me, and when they're super fresh, I'll buy them and I think that their espresso blend/roast is just great.

What's the joint on West Broadway the pulls Black Cat?

#15 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

is the stumptown at the ace hotel better than the one in brooklyn? i've all but stopped going to the one in brooklyn -- serious consistency issues.

Significantly better, if you're talking about Cafe Pedlar. I've stopped frequenting Pedlar and will go to Iris Cafe, which is also much better and more consistent.