14 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,913 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

Bohemian is a Japanese-run restaurant on Great Jones St. in the Village. It's behind a Japanese butcher shop that I'm sure is (a) very good and (b) ridiculously expensive. I think Bohemian might be one of those places you can't get into without a connection; I was taken there (for my birthday!) and so I don't know. I'm also happily ignorant about prices.

The kitchen clearly is Japanese, and much of the food is Japanese as well. But not all of it. It isn't fusion. It's a Japanese kitchen cooking what it feels like, some of it Japanese, some not. As you'd expect at a place tied to an expensive butcher shop, the ingredients are spectacular.

We all opted for the tasting menu, which (since the birthday boy is a hog) we supplemented with some items from the carte. Our 85 lb. Japanese waitress warned us it would be too much food, but not all of us weigh 85 lbs.

The supplements were beef short rib sashimi and 8-10 lbs. of rib-eye. The "sashimi" wasn't raw but rather seared. It, and the steak, were predictably great -- excellent ingredients simply but perfectly presented.

Among the many items on the tasting menu, the standout was a branzino, pan roasted, served with potatoes (which they do fabulously here), string beans, olives, anchovies(!), onions, and florettes of garlic. Again, the fish was perfectly cooked -- which, with fish of this quality, is all you need.

It's a pleasure to be in this place. The restaurant is a small room, starkly but imaginatively decorated, with a few tables and a nice big inviting bar.

This is a very good, impressive place. I think I'm more blown away by the yakiniku place, Takashi -- more weird meats there -- but I enjoyed this very very much as well. If you can get in, go.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:05 AM

Bohemian is a Japanese-run restaurant on Great Jones St. in the Village. It's behind a Japanese butcher shop that I'm sure is (a) very good and (b) ridiculously expensive. I think Bohemian might be one of those places you can't get into without a connection; I was taken there (for my birthday!) and so I don't know. I'm also happily ignorant about prices.

The kitchen clearly is Japanese, and much of the food is Japanese as well. But not all of it. It isn't fusion. It's a Japanese kitchen cooking what it feels like, some of it Japanese, some not. As you'd expect at a place tied to an expensive butcher shop, the ingredients are spectacular.

We all opted for the tasting menu, which (since the birthday boy is a hog) we supplemented with some items from the carte. Our 85 lb. Japanese waitress warned us it would be too much food, but not all of us weigh 85 lbs.

The supplements were beef short rib sashimi and 8-10 lbs. of rib-eye. The "sashimi" wasn't raw but rather seared. It, and the steak, were predictably great -- excellent ingredients simply but perfectly presented.

Among the many items on the tasting menu, the standout was a branzino, pan roasted, served with potatoes (which they do fabulously here), string beans, olives, anchovies(!), and florettes of garlic. Again, the fish was perfectly cooked -- which, with fish of this quality, is all you need.

It's a pleasure to be in this place. The restaurant is a small room, starkly but imaginatively decorated, with a few tables and a nice big inviting bar.

This is a very good, impressive place. I think I'm more blown away by the yakiniku place, Takashi -- more weird meats there -- but I enjoyed this very very much as well. If you can get in, go.

I'm going to go ahead and say that it was only 10 oz of steak. We're not quite as gluttonous as Sneak wants us to be.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,913 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:23 AM

Ounces, pounds: what's the diff?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

Ounces, pounds: what's the diff?

I assure you that my bathroom scale knows the difference.

#5 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:52 AM

What Sneak said.

Who knew you had to be connected to have one of the more civil dining experiences in all of NY. You sit in your way too slanty seat (steal a pillow from your neighbors chair if you can), drink good cocktails that don't involve the word cocktilian, eat great food with great ingredients, and get this: no hostess, no people coming and going, no one waiting on your table (for you to leave), no one bumping into you, no insane loudness, no fuss whatsoever. Just a fun, social and civil adult meal experience, where they give you plenty of room to be.

I had high expectations for the short rib sashimi and the croquettes. Both exceeded them. I had high expectations for the rice bowl with ikura and uni, which only fell spectacularly short cause I had envisioned sushi rice and got plain warm rice instead. Probably my fault there, roe and gonad were good. Smoked duck was great, a bit chewy, but exceptional flavor (is this a particularly Japanese thing? Smoked duck at Basta Pasta is a highlight dish). The mini burgers were better than I expected, most notably the bun, but I had pretty low expectations on that one. Miso cod was quite savory, which I don't necessarily prefer, but was very well prepared. Desserts give you a choice of heavy cream or egg yolk both with plenty of sugar - take your choice, all are equally well prepared.

Can't wait to go once more, although from the look of the tables, would only want to go with a party of 2 or 3. Parties of 4 sit at (what seemed to me from across the room, at least on this particular day) obnoxiously low tables far more suitable for drinks than dinner.

#6 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

So there's a problem with the word "cocktailian," but not a problem with a place that involves jumping through hoops, or knowing someone who jumps through hoops, just to get in?

#7 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

I find neither to be particularly problematic, but your mileage may vary?

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,913 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

You weren't here when the mere mention of the word "cocktailian" got you jumped all over.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

I upset the melon police last week, so I'm clearly not good at avoiding incendiary topics.

#10 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

We visited a few weeks ago (blog post here). I agree with Sneakeater and Changeup about the quality of the food, and how enjoyable it is to dine here.

About half of my blog post is a meditation on the various ways that popular restaurants limit access to a scarce resource: seats. Although Bohemian pretends to be a sorta/kinda private club, I had no trouble getting in without any connections. The time I invested to do so, was far less than the wait if I just walked into Il Buco Alimentari or Acme. And that's to say nothing of places like Brooklyn Fare, Roberta's, or Frej, which require FAR more effort than I have time for.

This is not to suggest that Bohemian has come up with a better way, merely that it is a different way that takes a lot less time than a ton of other places that use more traditional methods of rationing access.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

And you can sort of see Sivan!
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#12 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

And their cocktails are outstanding!!!

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

By the way, that was a relatively weak evening - the Bechamel in the croquette was too thick and not sufficiently shroomy, and the steak was really oversalted relative to other times I had it, but still very nice overall.

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,913 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

And you can sort of see Sivan!

Oh! There she -- or at least her hair -- is! This is the most exciting thing since the back of Steve's head, or some part of Daisy, appeared in the Times!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:39 AM

Years later, Bohemian stays the course. If only they had a natural wine list I'd be here once a week.