11 replies to this topic

#1 Gomez

Gomez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:36 AM

I'm not sure if this even fits in this category, but hey, there isn't a Utah Category...!

We'll be there in January, and having never been there, have no idea what to expect restaurant/entertainment wise...

Any ideas?

We'll be skiing during the days, but at night? Anything going on?
www.nutropical.com
~borojo~

#2 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

I enjoy SLC. They've relaxed the bizarre rules on buying alcohol by the drink.

Bambara: A fairly innovative restaurant with modern American cuisine. I've had three good meals here.
Spencer's for Steaks & Chops: A real old school steakhouse. Nothing more than great steaks and traditional sides. if that is your thing I highly recommend it.
Metropolitan: Has more of a cocktail scene than the previous two. Very solid food.
Cucina Toscana: This is a high-end, authentic Italian restaurant run by the flamboyant owner. Prices are steep, but our one meal there was really good.
Red Iguana: think Frontera Grill knock-off. very good mexican.
Lamb's Grill: This place has some Greek influence, but is really more of a traditional old style restaurant. It reminds me of Tadich Grill in San Francisco but with emphasis on meat rather than seafood.

#3 Gomez

Gomez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:02 AM

Thank you very much!

I'm really looking forward to it, I like the sound of Red Iguana and Spencer's

Apart from these restaurants, what else do you like about SLC? I've never been there before...
www.nutropical.com
~borojo~

#4 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:09 AM

I've never been to SLC, but I hear they make a lot of root beer there. I'd do a root beer taste test of all the different ones I could find!

http://findarticles....8/ai_n53344975/

#5 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

The city itself is fine, but the real attraction is the nature all around it. The city is surrounded by mountains. Take a day an go up to Park City. It is too early to ski, but there are lots of other things to see and do.

#6 Gomez

Gomez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:12 PM

I've never been to SLC, but I hear they make a lot of root beer there. I'd do a root beer taste test of all the different ones I could find!

http://findarticles....8/ai_n53344975/

Oh that sounds really nice! Thanks for the tip, will definitely look into it...
www.nutropical.com
~borojo~

#7 Gomez

Gomez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

The city itself is fine, but the real attraction is the nature all around it. The city is surrounded by mountains. Take a day an go up to Park City. It is too early to ski, but there are lots of other things to see and do.

We're actually going in January, there should be skiing then, no?

Park City is definitely on our list, as is Solitude - it all sounds so nice! We'll be renting a car, I'm hoping the roads are well cared for and we won't have issues getting up and down mountains in the snow?!
www.nutropical.com
~borojo~

#8 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:27 PM

There are rarely issues on the interstate up to Park City. Little and Big Cottonwood Canyons do shut down when it snows heavily, and they sometimes require 4WD after they're reopened. But, really it doesn't snow THAT often there--they tend to get huge dumps followed by many sunny days. They also get dry snow that plows up nicely.

I have to say, I found the dining scene in SLC dismal. I did a ton of research but it was hard to even find recommendations. However, on ski trips I rarely want to make the effort to go to nicer places--we tried ethnic places (big mistake) and other casual spots. Hopefully Ron Johnson's list will steer you in the right direction--report back! On future trips we will definitely stay up in Park City or at one of the lodges in Big or Little Cottonwood Canyon--I just found the whole SL Valley so incredibly awful. But, it was a handy way to visit a lot of different resorts--from Snowbasin up north to Deer Valley to Alta.

#9 Gomez

Gomez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:33 AM

Thanks christy - good info - I will definitely report back!
www.nutropical.com
~borojo~

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Wine Enthusiast magazine has favorable mentions of

Forage restaurant (370 E 900 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84111) with its asparagus shoots from the banks of the Great Salt Lake.

green juniper and wild cress

carrot and sunflower seed

black walnut

green tomato and black currant leaf

fava bean and rye with blossoms and new garlic      

smoked cherry

trout with new pine and peas

http://www.forageres...g-salt-lake.php

and The Copper Onion (111 E Broadway, Salt Lake City, UT 84111) with its inventive combinations of small plates. Chicken and local wild rice soup, black pepper mussels, lardo Iberico, sauteed lemon asparagus, etc.

http://thecopperonion.com/menu

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#11 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

I had a great meal at forage a few weeks ago.  I'll try to post something about it in the other salt lake city thread.

#12 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:56 AM

Very timely--we'll be there in September.

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.