49 replies to this topic

#31 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:49 AM

Nice decor, very nice barman, better than beer garden (say Loreley) but not really good food. The cucumber salad was the weak point of the meal (made from local cucumbers, not Persian, not washed from their horrid slime), accompanying paper thin Schnitzel. Spatzle were better, but I couldn't help thinking about 1970s Fettuccine Alfredo with mushrooms. The "chef" has been there for two weeks as of today and said this is nothing like culinary school (so reports of previously great cucumber salad may be true), no Edi, no Wolf(gang).

The appetizers - pickled sardines (like herring in cream, except no herring and no cream) and thinly sliced pork belly were the strong point, and while I can't recommend Heartbreak restaurant, I can recommend trying their Spatzle as a reference point to see where E&TW stands (and even then this is far from the best modern German places).

Still hungry, a slice of terrible pepperoni and onion at Stromboli explained exactly why you can't just serve okay-ish German food and hope for the best (although Edi & TW was packed tonight) - if $3.75 worth of Pizza just tastes better, there's some rethinking in order in your dough, cheese, and meat service.

The decor is pleasantly kitschy, and therefore achieves the Heuriger gestalt, I think.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#32 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

Right, right. I walk by the place all the time, but it has never crossed my mind to go there again. It's not the right place if you're really hungry, and if I am going to sit around drinking it's probably not going to be Austrian wine (not first choice, anyway).

#33 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

Edi & the Wolf gets the Dining Briefs treatment today from Oliver Strand (mostly positive), which presumably means no Sifton review.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#34 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

A good call, I'd say, but Seasonal deserved a review. (Unless it got one and I've forgotten.)

#35 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,761 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

It didn't and you haven't.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#36 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:07 PM

A good call, I'd say, but Seasonal deserved a review. (Unless it got one and I've forgotten.)

If it were me, I'd have done a double review, given that E&tW is a borderline review candidate, but there's no excuse for Seäsonal never having received one.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#37 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,671 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

Had brunch here yesterday. Most of the party ordered the schnitzel sandwich. Delicious, very nicely fried and so big that I didn't eat much of the very good toasted challah opting for the crisp breaded meat instead. Good slaw provided sauce and crunch. I very much liked the side of cucumber salad but then I was spared eating it warm because it sat on a very hot plate, others were not so fortunate. A BLT was also enjoyed and my friend who ordered the tartines was pretty happy but would have been happier had the mustard used not been quite so eye-wateringly hot. Brunch is a bargain at $14 which includes coffee, juice, a plate of bread and pastries with butter, jam and pear butter (but again the plate was so hot the butter was melting). Bellinis were good but could have been a bit colder.

It was almost empty in the place but the food came out of the kitchen with a more than glacial slowness, and not all at the same time. On the other hand they seemed to have no objection to us sitting and yakking for almost two hours.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#38 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:47 PM

Well, I didn't get the spaetzle or the schnitzel here, so maybe I shouldn't comment, but I thought e.g. the short rib was fine for what it was.

Maybe 5 years ago this would have been a borderline reviewable place, but now price-wise it's a decent bit below what even most (real) 1 star restaurants seem to be at these days, so for that it's quite serviceable.

Though the service was somewhat slow and inattentive.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#39 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:08 AM

Haven't been in a long time, because it's hard to choose it ahead of Kafana just a step or two away. Cheaper, more cheerful, interesting wines, and although it's hearty Croatian home cooking, it's done really well. It does what it does better, I think, than E&W, even if the latter tries to do something more upscale.

And then BobWhite's isn't chopped liver either.

#40 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:58 PM

Quick supper at the bar. This fell off my list because it seemed over-priced for casual dining on Avenue C. But then everywhere else got more expensive.

Salad, nice pork schnitzel, nothing to travel for.

#41 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:03 AM

Ah, it used to be a veal schnitzel. Way of the world.

#42 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:45 PM

Closed a few days ago citing operating costs. Nearby cocktail bar from same owners, Third Man, still going, and in a spirit of dogged improvisation is now serving food from Kafana (it used to have dishes run over from Edi’s kitchen).

#43 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:46 PM

Kafana, by the way, continues to be slammed, as does the veteran Esperanto.

Zum Schneider seems a lot quieter these days (outside of Oktoberfest, soccer matches, and other events).

#44 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:47 PM

Kafana is perfect for what it is.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#45 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,006 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:51 PM

And the wine list is more than slightly interesting.

Esperanto in a sense is perfect for what it is, not so much for the food though.