95 replies to this topic

#91 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:05 PM

If upload speeds matter to you, FiOS is far and away the best option for internet in New York right now.

If they don't, then FiOS may not be worth the premium, though it's still "better" in some sense.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#92 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,618 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:11 AM

Yes, it's surreal.

splinky, wouldn't it be more cost effective to just pay for internet and watch what you need via Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/Direct? Then you don't need to talk to twc ever again.

it would and that's been plan for quite some time. i never seem to get around to pulling the trigger. i have amazon, netflix and hulu. maybe it's time. Ori, who is the best provider available in nyc for just internet?

I don't really know since TWC is the only one available at our place. I have it set up as 50mbps internet from them + roku player with hulu + netflix + amazon and the airbnb guests seem happy. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#93 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:00 AM

Yes, it's surreal.

splinky, wouldn't it be more cost effective to just pay for internet and watch what you need via Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/Direct? Then you don't need to talk to twc ever again.

it would and that's been plan for quite some time. i never seem to get around to pulling the trigger. i have amazon, netflix and hulu. maybe it's time. Ori, who is the best provider available in nyc for just internet?

I don't really know since TWC is the only one available at our place. I have it set up as 50mbps internet from them + roku player with hulu + netflix + amazon and the airbnb guests seem happy. 

once you go higher than the 50mbps the cost becomes too high with paying for all the standalones. in my building we can have twc fios or rcn. they all suck

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#94 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,618 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:14 AM

The marginal cost of the standalones is very low considering they either come with amazon prime or allow you to use them on multiple screens*, but the absolute cost isn't high either (iirc hulu is $8 and nflx around the same, and if you want showtime that's $8 via hulu. hbo is probably expensive, I didn't check). Broadband pricing should be a major political issue there, it's almost 10x what it should be by now.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#95 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,117 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:42 AM

You may also want to watch over-the-air broadcast channels, especially for N.F.L. games. Most televisions have an over-the-air tuner built-in, so you will be able to get your local major networks (ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC) using your existing TV hardware and an inexpensive antenna, such as the Antennas Direct ClearStream Eclipse ($40).

Do people do this?  Does it work effectively?

I have not had good luck using an antenna - I think it really depends on where you're located in the NYC area.

#96 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

You may also want to watch over-the-air broadcast channels, especially for N.F.L. games. Most televisions have an over-the-air tuner built-in, so you will be able to get your local major networks (ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC) using your existing TV hardware and an inexpensive antenna, such as the Antennas Direct ClearStream Eclipse ($40).

Do people do this?  Does it work effectively?

I have not had good luck using an antenna - I think it really depends on where you're located in the NYC area.

i couldn't get an antenna to work here, not even the signal booster ones

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*