I think so.

#347 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

What would he consider "mid-range"? $50 pp? $100 pp? Knowing that we're in CAD so he's getting 30% off the top. 

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#348 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,354 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

$80 USD would be the max. he doesnt drink.

#349 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

For Chinese in the city proper: Fried dumplings at Dumpling House, hand pulled noodles at Chinese Traditional Bun, Mother's Dumplings isn't bad, dim sum at Crown Princess, I guess Rol San. All on Spadina other than Crown Princess. 

For Chinese in Markham (our third majority Chinese area, north of the City, with some of the best Cantonese anywhere outside of China), I only tend to go up there for higher end meals, but dim sum at Casa Victoria is a pretty good experience that would fit in the budget. Most of my meals north tend to be banquet style. It's a drive, but places like Fishman Lobster and O'Mei. Charles Yu's recommendations are good (https://torontolife....hill-highway-7/).

Inside Toronto, if he doesn't drink, it's a pretty expansive list. At minimum, Bar Raval is still a must with excellent coffee and non-alcoholic drinks. Alo's casual sister restaurant, Aloette would work very well as well, but there can be a wait. If he can get a reservation, Skippa is excellent Japanese small plates and sushi in a charming area. Enoteca Sociale for trad Roman pastas, La Palma for a cal-Ital thing. Pizza at Mattachioni is far afield but is very good. If he's staying in the Financial District, Drake Minibar. If he's interested in Korean food, I like House of Soon Tofu. 

#350 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,354 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

thanks

#351 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:18 PM

the new york times had nice things to say about the excellent quetzal: https://www.nytimes....-wood-fire.html

#352 Patrick

Patrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:16 AM

You think a Thursday walk-in solo at Quetzal would work? Doesn't seem like they take solo rervations.

Anything not to miss that would be bookable for end of week?

#353 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:02 PM

You think a Thursday walk-in solo at Quetzal would work? Doesn't seem like they take solo rervations.

Anything not to miss that would be bookable for end of week?

Very likely you could get a walk-in for bar seating. If you can't, you should be able to get a walk-in for bar seating at Isabel or Banane (though Banane is less necessary if you're coming from Montreal) or either of Cafe Cancan or Piano Piano or just do Raval. Basically, there are good options if Quetzal doesn't work out.

If you can get a reservation for Edulis I would definitely do that, especially given the truffle options. Same thing with Alo. Skippa is excellent if there's space. 

#354 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:13 PM

Actinolite would be a good option where a last minute reservation is possible.

#355 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,139 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:32 AM

My friends and I are now doing the dance to get into Edulis at the end of the month.

It’s a complicated dance.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#356 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:00 PM

My friends and I are now doing the dance to get into Edulis at the end of the month.

It’s a complicated dance.

Not an easy reservation, but an excellent table. Try for lunch.

Patrick, how were your meals?