hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Are comps taxable?

Why not?

Yes they are, in general. However, they have to reach the point of "material amounts" which is tough to define. Is a free cup of coffee given by a restaurant to cops on the overnight shift taxable? Not if it's of a de minimis amount. However, it may violate the ethics codes imposed by various departments. In NJ, it's specifically illegal to offer or accept gifts to cops.

There's a difference between a commercial and a non-commercial transaction. If a restaurant is paying a blogger in food for an endorsement, and the blogger doesn't report that, the IRS probably has a very different view than if it gives a cop some free donuts. (even if in the course of the year the cop receives as many $s worth of donuts from various restaurants as the blogger does in free meals)

I suspect either transaction would have to be sufficiently material for the IRS to be interested. The IRS will not send Elliott Ness and the boys to your house for not reporting a $60 meal. If, however, you're dining every Thursday at a place for months, they would undoubtedly have a different opinion. The restaurant would also have to justify the promotional expense as a business expense, and prove that they were getting sufficient business value for the thousands of dollars in free meals for it to be deductible.

The cops and donuts issue, in NJ at least, is a matter of avoiding the appearance of corruption and shakedowns. One diner near us used to offer free coffee to cops between midnight and six am. There were always police cars around, from several jurisdictions and the state police. It probably made the patrons and employees feel very safe, but they were required to end the free deal. Now, you can purchase an "unlimited coffee" card for $2 a month, good only between midnight and six am. It's not advertised, so you have to ask about it.

Still lots of police cars around.

I realize it's a different situation, but I thought IRS had some rule that you didn't have to be 1099'd for under $600 and thus no need to report it.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#92 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

What's wrong with you people? Will no one speak for graft and corruption?

have you not been reading along?

are you making me an offer?

a smart gal like you should know that the phrase "blogger ethics" is very often an oxymoron

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#93 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

a smart gal like you should know that the phrase "blogger ethics" is very often an oxymoron

let's get something straight between us: i'm the guy and you're the gal, capeche?

Then that happened.

#94 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,028 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

So I don't have to report buy-backs, then?

#95 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

let's get something straight between us: i'm the guy and you're the gal, capeche?

relax honey, you're gonna get your cute little panties all in a bunch.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#96 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

i avoid that by going commando

Then that happened.

#97 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

see, you really are a clever gal

~Jack Handey

#98 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

see, you really are a clever gal

:blush:

Then that happened.

#99 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,809 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:45 AM

There are some things you REALLY don't want to know.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#100 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:13 AM

There are some things you REALLY don't want to know.

But see, Surrealism thread.

Then that happened.

#101 DHL

DHL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

Jason doesn't need me to defend him, but singling him out for attack when the practices you describe (whether he has engaged in them or not) have been so widespread as to require action by the FTC sends me the strong signal that some personal animosity is at work.

Why don't we discuss the topic itself?

Apparently Perlow does need defending, as Hollywood's edits of my comments seems to indicate.

#102 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

Jason doesn't need me to defend him, but singling him out for attack when the practices you describe (whether he has engaged in them or not) have been so widespread as to require action by the FTC sends me the strong signal that some personal animosity is at work.

Why don't we discuss the topic itself?

Apparently Perlow does need defending, as Hollywood's edits of my comments seems to indicate.

I'm more concerned about not having to defend Mouthfuls--and by extention, you.

You might also want to examine MF's guidelines.

Then that happened.

#103 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

One other clarification I would make. Does a person need a stand alone blog to be subject to these journalistic standards?

At that point, it is almost irrelevant if they are Mother Theresa or on the restaurants payroll.

It's journalistic standards, as well as journalistic morals that should drive the editorial content of the blogs. Just as a public official has to avoid any look of impropriety by taking a perk and giving the appearance of a quid pro quo, so should a food blogger.

As far as relevance, I think RP's and most of our judgements of blogger veracity stem from our belief as to whether they are in it for the free food, and their full disclosure of such occurrences...

#104 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

I don't know if he's still active but there was a TV and radio reviewer in LA named Elmer Dills who was always touting restaurants. Hell, he'd even get them to come up with "Elmer Dills' Specials" that customers could ask for. Some of the restos would advertise on his radio show. All very cozy. But he was good at finding so-so places with good values and talking them up.

Then that happened.