17 replies to this topic

#1 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,284 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Every winter I buy blood oranges once or twice because I love how they look. The blush on the rind, the color of the pulp. But it seems like they never taste that good. They aren't as sweet as many other oranges, in my experience, but that's not really the problem. Often they just aren't very juicy. I seem to get rather dry, wrinkly pulp fairly frequently.

Is this an inherent issue with blood oranges or is it just that the ones we get in NYC aren't terribly good? Or have I just been unlucky?
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

I got some really beautiful ones this year.. Oddly enough in bed stuy.. I used them to make 8 cups of juice for your fish.. It might be a good year for them unless you already had some and they weren't good.. But, I was super happy with them, used them in a couple of ceviches too.. It was from a Spanish Grocery if that makes a difference.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#3 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,008 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

I think it varies from season to season. This year the ones I have had have been good, nicely juicy, if on the smallish side. I got them in WF I believe. I had them with coriander-crusted scallops and pink grapefruit at a dinner party, very nice, and I made a riff on the clementine cake as well as a blood orange ailoli to serve with roasted salmon. But I also like them just on their own or with yogurt and perhaps a few chopped almonds or hazlenuts.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#4 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

I've never had good ones in the US. In Italy, where they are the norm, they are glorious.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:33 PM

I've never had good ones in the US. In Italy, where they are the norm, they are glorious.

First time I had them was in a train station in Milan, when i was a freshman in college.. Wow, I still remember that first sip.

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Occasionally you can get the Italian ones here. I'm not sure what the season is, but Manhattan Fruit Exchange will know.
I never said that

#7 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

They were great in Rome in winter. In the D.C. area this year, I found some 'ok' blood oranges, not as juicy, sweet or full, but nicer than those I found in the last few years in this area.

#8 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

I also think there is a variety issue at play.
Why not mayo?

#9 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

eataly also had some nice ones this season. the better ones tended to be on the small side.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#10 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

I've never been to Italy in winter. I recall having some fabulous blood oranges there in summertime. Of course they could have been from Africa or South America.

I generally prefer Temple oranges at this time of year for flavor & juiciness. Good ones have seemed harder to find this year than previously, but Fairyway had a terrific crop 2 weeks ago. I hope to head up there tonight & see if they're still around.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#11 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,284 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

Maybe I'll try a few from fairway this weekend. The (mediocre) ones I tried were from Brooklyn Fare.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#12 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,622 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

I've had some decent moros in So Cal so far. They are naturally less sweet than other oranges (which is why I love them so much). But they shouldn't be dry. I don't know if this helps you, but I see many people making the same mistake when buying citrus: go for the ones with the smoothest skin, not the bumpiest.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#13 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,932 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:28 AM

I have to agree that the ones I get at the LCD supermarket (Pathmark) and even the fancy food store (Jubilee) have pretty much always been disappointing.

I think they are one of those items that are being forced into general distribution due to "trendiness" before the supply can support the distribution channels. At least here in the Northeast, far from where they might be grown. Maybe in a few years they'll be better (in the same way Mexican avocados took a while to get to the same beautifulness as those from CA.) But for now, I'll look but not buy.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#14 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

The Temple orange crop seems to be past its peak. The ones in the batch at Fairway last night were smaller, bumpier & cheaper. The one I ate this morning tasted just a bit overripe.

They were so beautiful & tasty two weeks ago. It's always a fleeting crop.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#15 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:16 PM

Every winter I buy blood oranges once or twice because I love how they look. The blush on the rind, the color of the pulp. But it seems like they never taste that good. They aren't as sweet as many other oranges, in my experience, but that's not really the problem. Often they just aren't very juicy. I seem to get rather dry, wrinkly pulp fairly frequently.

Is this an inherent issue with blood oranges or is it just that the ones we get in NYC aren't terribly good? Or have I just been unlucky?

They have to be really fresh -- they don't keep as well as regular oranges.
When they are fresh they are really superb -- there are some varieties from Sicily, which when you get them in season in Italy are just great.