2519 replies to this topic

#2491 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:02 PM

Ok so the rub is this. Outside with him at 3 am walking home. In front of the Starbucks, steps from meks, I said, please tell me you didn’t go to the starbucks. He said, i have a hard time following rules, I think if you never mentioned it I wouldn’t have gone. But, I was hungry and I wanted to eat a sandwich and I didn’t know where to go.

It was truly the most insightful conversation I have ever had with a person. Between human nature and consumerism, it all came together.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2492 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:05 PM

I have to get my super picky friend a chinese meal. guan fu is just “okay” in his mind. where do we go?

#2493 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

Guan fu has been better than a few meals I’ve had in Sichuan. I’d be interested to hear what his favorites are. Maybe little sheep hot pot on Bowery or that Sichuan place on st marks. But guan fu is my favorite place in new York so, I’m at a loss

#2494 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,947 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:48 PM

Hunan Slurp has been really, really good.

#2495 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

Hunan Slurp has been really, really good.

Have not been, exciting!

#2496 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:04 PM

he likes some place in seattle where he only goes with people who know the chef and it’s better than blah blah blah....

guan fu is my favorite too. he may have been put off by the price.

we went to the rice roll place, which was really delicious, had really nice dumplings at white bear, and then had ok dumplings and a bad spare rib dish at dumpling galaxy. I used a grub street article, he was happy.

the rice roll place was good enough that I’m happy the manhattan location exists, that’s the best version of that dish I’ve had by a really wide margin. don’t order the shrimp. the “mill” is the end of an electric drill.

#2497 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,748 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:04 PM

That’s nice of you to be so concerned. I am getting proficient enough in cooking Chinese Food at home that I can almost move out of New York if I had to.

#2498 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:31 PM

Going to Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St) on 4/1 and would like to have a seafood or vegetarian dinner between there and the Graham Ave L stop. I'll be alone, so dining at the bar would be ideal. Concord and Humboldt & Jackson look okay. Am I missing something better?

#2499 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,004 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:49 AM

I always walk a little farther and do Four Horsemen
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2500 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,947 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

http://www.frostrestaurant.com/

#2501 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:10 PM

Thanks to you both. I looked at Frost but couldn't figure out whether it has a bar I can eat at.

#2502 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

Going to Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St) on 4/1 and would like to have a seafood or vegetarian dinner between there and the Graham Ave L stop. I'll be alone, so dining at the bar would be ideal. Concord and Humboldt & Jackson look okay. Am I missing something better?

Yeah - H&J, in that immediate area. If you want to go even cheaper, Taste of Heaven is solid enough for filling but unremarkable soul food. You could get a fish sandwich and a side of collard greens for $10. Unless it's Sunday, when they're closed. 

If you want something nicer, get off a stop earlier (or later if you're coming from the other direction) at Lorimer and go to Llama Inn. 15 minute walk from there to BK Steel. There's also Kings County Imperial by Lorimer, too. 

#2503 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,004 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

Or stay on one stop more and go to Wafa's Express (for Lebanese) right off the Grand St. G stop.  I haven't been, but someone trustworthy told me it's excellent.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2504 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

he means L stop not G stop.

#2505 Sneakeater

Sneakeater