2639 replies to this topic

#2566 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:58 PM

thanks! for next saturday. I did think about kyo ya but wasn't sure either...

As it happens, our daughter and son-in-law are going to Kyo Ya this evening. They’ve been there before, so I’ll ask them how it is with the new chef.
They had not heard about the chef leaving. Very disappointed with their meal. No sushi chef. Ergo, no sushi!
Ah, I could have warned them of the current sashimi/sushi-less menu. They had told me it’d be that way for a little while when we went for Sono’s final night. I believe it’s temporary and there’ll be two chefs eventually. The menu on opentable currently looks like a greatest hits collection from Sono’s old a la carte one.

I’ll be curious if they actually bring in a Sushi chef, since Sono never really did it - only sashimi, aside from his box sushi. That would be a big change for them.

#2567 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:18 PM

Coming to town later this month for a conference, and looking for recommendations for a place for dinner with a friend. Some loose parameters:

Manhattan, mid-range price (<$100 pp all in), ideally something that is not readily available in Seattle, reasonably conversation-friendly noise level.

Appreciate any guidance you have, thanks!

Dinner with said friend never materialized for a variety of reasons, and my dining choices for the week ended up being mainly driven by what was close by, interesting and available at meal times (or family members choosing). So the run down was, including some partial meals:

Margon

Tomino

Toloache

Oxalis (Brooklyn)

Maison Yaki (Brooklyn) - fantastic format for solo dining

Aria

The Modern

Red Rooster

Barney Greengrass

A few regrets in there, but overall enjoyable eating.

It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#2568 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,383 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:40 PM

The format would be even better if one could actually get in. When did you go?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2569 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:34 PM

The Modern was going through the motions when I was last there. Any regrets?

#2570 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:27 PM

When were you last there? Since Abram Bissell began helming the kitchen, we’ve been to The Modern Dining Room often, most of the time for lunch, and always find the food to be incredibly delicious. We haven’t been there for dinner since they changed to the tasting format but will be trying that next week.

Edited to add:  Photos from our most recent lunch.

#2571 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

He's been there since Kreuther, so definitely in his time; for dinner, the tasting.  There was a great lobster dish, but otherwise it seemed to be very routine high end hotel, foie gras, cannon of lamb sort of thing.  Less adventurous than Kreuther.

#2572 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:53 PM

The format would be even better if one could actually get in. When did you go?

I got there around 6:30 on a Wednesday, put my name on the waiting list and ended up being seated around 8:15. Had a drink and a plate at Oxalis, a drink at a place next to Oxalis, and wandered around a bit to kill the time. 

Just had an app and a drink to tide me over until a late dinner that night. Chose the carrot rillettes, which was tasty enough, but eluded me in what sense is was "rillette," since it seemed like diced carrots. The cocktail just wasn't very interesting, especially given the ingredients advertised.

It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#2573 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:02 AM

Next time get the carrot pate (squidged carrots) 😁

#2574 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,383 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:10 AM

I like the carrot meatballs!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2575 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:58 PM

If I sort of want to dine at Le Coucou, but I actually want to go some place different, where should I go [ie still Downtown posh, pretty, relatively conservative cuisine :P ]?

#2576 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:03 PM

Walk around the corner to La Mercerie?

#2577 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:06 PM

Dunno if I'd call La Mercerie "posh" (though I do like it) - tables a bit close together, and with the long booth seating it can feel like communal dining. Though the crowd is often pretty.

Maybe Scalini Fedeli? Or Il Mulino Tribeca? (haven't actually been to the latter, as I found nothing exciting about their previous work...)

Any of the Myriad Group Downtown holdings... You can certainly have a conservative (some might say "dated") Japanese meal in a posh setting at Nobu, though the crowd is primarily tourists and Jersey B&T at this point, I guess. Batard... I find them relatively conservative, though that's a subjective thing. Or Tribeca Grill, for something even more straightforward. 

Follow dinner at any of the above with a drink at The Brandy Library, wouldn't be the worst night out I suppose. 

#2578 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:29 PM

Jah, La Mercerie feels more a café.

Il Mulino moved from the Village to Tribeca?

I think I'd rather put a pistol to my head than go to Nobu. :cool: I don't think I could go back to Bâtard after being served frozen foie gras there, heh. I for one wish Liebrandt was still cooking in that location.

Edited: OK, I do admit it's interesting Bâtard has a quail pithivier on their menu right now.

I wish Le Coucou served the late [and lamented by me at least] Chevalier's cuisine. That would be pretty close to my ideal Downtown restaurant.

Edited the edited: oh man, soufflé with strawberry compote. Will I have to give Bâtard another chance?

#2579 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

Jah, La Mercerie feels more a café.

Il Mulino moved from the Village to Tribeca?

I think I'd rather put a pistol to my head than go to Nobu. :cool: I don't think I could go back to Bâtard after being served frozen foie gras there, heh. I for one wish Liebrandt was still cooking in that location.

Edited: OK, I do admit it's interesting Bâtard has a quail pithivier on their menu right now.

I wish Le Coucou served the late [and lamented by me at least] Chevalier's cuisine. That would be pretty close to my ideal Downtown restaurant.

Edited the edited: oh man, soufflé with strawberry compote. Will I have to give Bâtard another chance?

Mulino didn't close their Downtown place, just added a Tribeca location. (There's also "Il Mulino Prime" in SoHo, and 8,000 or so other locations strewn about the country)

Last time I dined at Bâtard (maybe a year ago?) I was decidedly bôred. Didn't feel like the menu had changed much since they'd opened. Everything was... fine and pleasant in a totally predictable fine and pleasant way. Current menu looks somewhat new - maybe with the competition next door they felt they had to change it up a bit. The octopus pastrami is gone, surprising since that seemed to be a signature dish. 

#2580 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

Mulino didn't close their Downtown place, just added a Tribeca location. (There's also "Il Mulino Prime" in SoHo, and 8,000 or so other locations strewn about the country)

Holy cow. I presume they have a Vegas branch then.

I always thought that octopus pastrami looked a bit too Lovecraftian for my digestion.

Edited: the competition nextdoor would be Frenchette? Their niches are a bit different though. [I've been trying to book Frenchette, but nothing comes up on Resy.]