63 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,714 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

Time to Chowhound (like Calvin, I enjoy verbing). So, I'm going to be in Atlanta for the weekend in two weeks. I'm going to be staying in the Poncey-Highlands area and need food and drink recommendations for Saturday and Sunday night (and Sunday afternoon). Holeman and Finch looks interesting and seems to be about the right price but is a little far from the hotel. Also, poking around the old threads, Nathan suggested that Atlanta was a great cocktail city. So, where to go?

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

Dunno about cocktails, but:

Do NOT go to Buckhead Diner. Just don't. :angry: I had a terrible experience there, where just about everything was awful.

And I don't know if it might be to your taste, but Imperial Fez is a hoot: a multimulticourse Moroccan meal with belly dancers. Not sophisticated, but fun esp. with a group. I have no idea where it is in relation to your hotel; I was in Buckhead and went by taxi.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,714 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

Thanks Suzanne, I will most certainly not be going to the Buckhead Diner. Imperial Fez looks interesting, and it's something I'd try with a group of friends, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for. Anyone else? I'd hate to be forced actually put in some real leg work and do the research myself.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,702 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

Maybe you should IM Nathan about the cocktails, to make sure he realizes you're looking.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

Holeman & Finch and Eugene for cocktails. Eric Simpkins (a Pegu alum) was doing good stuff at Trois but I believe it's now closed. I don't know where he is now. the Living Room bar at the Glenn Hotel. The main guy behind the stick there is pretty good...I don't know what the rest of the staff are like.

Atlanta is not at the NY or N.O. level by any means but a couple years ago it was probably the best city for cocktails not on the ocean. A number of cities have caught up since (Austin, for example, has gotten dramatically better in the last year).
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#6 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

Just in time for you, the NY Times has a piece about Atlanta.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#7 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,714 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Thankfully, I haven't used up my 20 free articles.

#8 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

Don't waste one of your 20, it only covers three restaurants--one of which Miller Union, might have already been recommended by someone ;) .

#9 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

Don't waste one of your 20, it only covers three restaurants--one of which Miller Union, might have already been recommended by someone ;) .

Good point. I keep forgetting that the Times actively discourages readers now. <_< The other two are Cakes & Ale and Empire State South, about which I know nothing.

I did enjoy a meal at Watershed, but that was when Scott Peacock was still running it (he's gone, iirc). And while I've never eaten at any of them, I do have a soft spot for Anne Quatrano's places, mainly because I know and like her.

#10 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,714 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

Thanks to all who sent me recommendations for Atlanta, Evelyn in particular. I can’t say I loved Atlanta as a city. Both my girlfriend and I were dismayed by the complete destruction of most of the downtown’s old buildings (and by this we mean the post civil war stuff). Our standard, big “tourist walk” was pretty uninteresting. We were amused to see that the world of coke pavilion bore more than a passing resemblance to a non-alcoholic Duff World. And what are those lips on top of the place? On the other hand, we were both smitten with our Poncey-Highlands location. Plenty of great outside drinking locations, a couple interesting shops, some decent restaurants, nice architecture, and the Highland Inn complex was like a scruffier, more downtrodden version of The Drake or The Gladstone in Toronto (or maybe even the Ace in NYC) in the best possible way. Also, was reasonably impressed with Marietta Square and the farmer’s market. Anyway, since I doubt many people here are interested in my tourist observations, onwards.

I think the biggest surprise about Holeman and Finch was the structure itself. In my prejudice, this kind of restaurant should not be located under a nice apartment building, it should be located in a place like Poncey Highlands; this kind of restaurant should have a more metal and wood, dirtier lines, and less polish; and the people that come here should be more carefully scruffy, less polished, more downtown (idiot, you are in Buckhead now). It’s good for geography to jostle the Eater in me a little bit. But let’s dispense with my Northern biases and discuss the food for a moment. Holeman and Finch killed it. It was like my best meals at Ssam, but with the southern ramped up and the Asian stripped away. We opened with Mangalista ham (never had it before, holy shit is it good), followed with sweetbreads with turnips (well prepared, a sliver over done, citrus glaze was very, almost too, subtle), Anson Mills faro (with an intense smoke flavor coming from smoked baby leaks) and then some immaculate gulf shrimp with a citrus sauce and fried heads. Turning things over to our waiter, the H&F pork bunds – more bbq than fuku (ugh, terrible line) – the simple, satisfy Johnny cakes with egg and bacon, and the good but unspectacular H&F hot dog. For dessert, a well executed sticky toffee pudding and three local cheeses with honey and jam (McChesney, the awesome blackberry farm trefoil, and a bleu Gouda). Cocktails were in our wheelhouse – a vieux carre, the angora sweater (rum and campari and stuff), etc – and service was excellent, American and southern yes, but neither in a patronizing way nor in an “am I at Denny’s?” way.

This was food cooked with love. Not the Top Chef “love” which is code for simplicity and a lack of finesse, but love for brilliant products and good technique, the love that is the desire to share things that you like with other people. Though the restaurant is patently local and nose-to-tail, it’s not militantly so. There is not boast or bluster. There is instead gulf shrimp (I am in Florida), and sweetbreads (I am in Montreal), and that Mangalista ham (I am in heaven). Oh, we did not have the burger because burgers are for losers.

We did brunch the following day at Babette’s Café. A quiet, Frenchish restaurant in Poncey-Highlands. We were a little stunned that we were sequestered at the bar because we didn’t have a reservation. Which was fine – we got to watch the post church crowd shuffle in and clamor for the two-for-one Four Square deal. Oh, and we had some pretty great shrimp and grits with a bacon cream sauce and a side of very, very good home fries.

South City Kitchen was the choice for Sunday because 1) it looked good and 2) it was open. Although it was located on a stretch of Midtown that reminded me of the parts of Middle American cities that I hate (with the Disneyland bars filled with bros), it did allow me to easily keep abreast of the Miami-Chicago score on the way over. South City conformed more to my stereotypes of non-coastal US dining – white table clothes did not necessary connote “fancy”, service was a bit Denny’s friendly, some patrons wore shorts, and the (warm, good) biscuits and cornbread were served with that whipped butter. We split a large portion of chicken livers with fantastic sweet corn to start. Her trout was very fresh and served with a hash of okra, more of the great grilled corn, and Benton’s. It was quite good. My fried chicken was a fairly tasty, fairly classic rendition with mediocre mashed potatoes and decent greens. Dessert was pecan pie. We left sated, pleased; something that could be said for at least the entire culinary portion of our trip.

#11 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:43 AM

I hear ya about Atlanta, the city. I would be totally happy if I never set foot in it again. But, the SEC (and Delta) has a conspiracry to make sure that dream doesn't come true. At least there is Holeman and Finch to make sure I at least have good eats and drinks ;-)

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

Will be in Hotlanta the next couple of nights.. So, Holeman and Finch tonight, it appears.. Maybe might run it back if I am in the mood.. Would like a recommendation for something near the Westin tomorrow night.. Something fun... A customer of mine told me there was awesome Thai in Atlanta.. Is this the case?
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#13 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

I would suggest Nan or Tamarind. Both are in Midtown.

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

Sorry to switch gears here but, how is woodfire grill?
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#15 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:30 AM

Damn, I should have checked this thread more recently. Paul is there now (arr yesterday, leaves tomorrow) and apart from telling him about a sentimental fave of mine, I couldn't do much for him. But with luck, he'll be there more in the future, near CDC, so I should bookmark this thread.