46 replies to this topic

#1 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:46 PM

NOLA absinthe joint meets Williamsburg 2011 via mixologists in suspenders. it may sound trendy awful but is pitch perfect for the time and place and the service is super-nice and efficient (at least in the afternoons, before the hordes descend after 5pm). cute little place, huge selection of east and west coast oysters (30 total) plus clams and other seafood. Proper Abinthe service. Brilliant concept and execution.

cocktails were what drew us in and they have a couple of great summer ones: Old Hickory (dry & sweet vermouth, peychauds & orange bitters) and the gin-based Carondelet with lots of citrus but also a little honey to round it out, vanilla and sea salt. I spied a bottle of Amer Picon so i bet they make a great Brooklyn (and Manhattan and other classics)

A few nice whites for oysters. Beer, unfortunately, out of mason jars. Ignore the jars and the suspenders, worth checking out if you're in the area. esp. at non-peak hours, i can imagine it's a zoo at night.

Booze list here

oysters here
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

The Hotel Delmano of 2011?
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

According to a friend who lives almost on top of Hotel Delmano, Maison Premiere is better and friendlier and exudes way less 'tude.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#4 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

According to a friend who lives almost on top of Hotel Delamano, Maison Premiere is better and friendlier and exudes way less 'tude.

pretty much
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#5 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

Stopped in here last night around 6:15 to take advantage of their oyster happy hour ($1 oysters from 4-7 PM every day). I was skeptical about this deal going in but was won over by the very fine oysters, attractive space and friendly if glacially slow service. We had a dozen each, an assortment of Naked Cowboy,Peconic Bay,Wellfleet, Beau Soleil, Fanny Bay and Stellar Bay. They were all very good but the Wellfleets, creamy and gently saline, and the Beau Soleils, briny and crisp, were especially fine. New to me were the Naked Cowboys--a nice representation of a Long Island oyster, like a smaller Bluepoint, and the Stellar Bays from British Columbia which were tangy and plump. We drank muscadet but did notice intriguing-looking cocktails.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#6 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

that happy hour is a fabulous deal. unusually broad selection. and the Naked Cowboys were a discovery. I always love Wellfleets.

good cocktails too (staff is imported from some other restaurants with good cocktail programs and it shows).
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

We hung out there yesterday unfortunately, prior to the happy hour. Oysters were priced around 2.95 for most of the ones we wanted.. It was the fourth of july and the place was hopping. After around 30 minutes of waiting we were seated in the backyard. The backyard has that new orleans feel to it. They also had an old timie, band. They were a little dandy dressed. Staff was wearing suspenders and such girls had this 20 or 30's thing going too.

We hung out in the backyard eating oysters, drinking cocktails, we also had a chilled crab and lobster. It was a good time.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

Rachael Ray goes here.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Rachael Ray goes here.

Well then, it must be Super Duper Yumma-riffic.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#10 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I had an incredible meal here last night. Three of us opted for the 6 course tasting menu, which at $95 is an astonishing deal.

In actuality we ended up with 7+ courses.

The first course was a three tiered seafood tower consisting of:

--four oysters

--a sea scallop with pear and horseradish – this was lovely. The horseradish was surprisingly mild and almost tasted like a cheese

--crab with espelette and rouille – I think there was some kind of olive concoction in here. Also delicious

--razor clam with celery root and apple – tangy. Perhaps bound with a buttermilk sauce.

--sea urchin with white gazpacho – one small perfect bite

Yes you read that right – the above was just considered ONE course.

Next up were the crudo:

I’m relying on the online menu. I think we had the following which were (this was considered one course):

-- Striped bass with spaghetti squash, quince and black radish

-- Loup de Mer – Fall Vegetable Escabeche

-- There was at least one more that I don’t think was on the menu

Next came the “small plates” part of the menu:

--Sea scallop with foie gras mousse and cauliflower

--Our final savory course: Langostine with sweetbreads and onions – a show stopper.

I’m blanking on 3 courses.

Then came dessert – I think they basically gave us the entire dessert menu. We got full portions of the following: cannelles with a chocolate mousse, madelines, a warm just baked apple clafoutis, shot glasses of a custard and baba au rhum.

To add to this mind blowing deal, corkage is $20 and we were only charged for one bottle. I got the feeling that most people don’t opt for the tasting menu. I have no idea how they are able to offer it at this price but no doubt once it catches on, they will easily be able charge double for it.

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#11 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Place has a superlative wine list.

#12 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

The oysters are excellent, and very well shucked. All of them.

The composed raw bar items are nice, if sometimes very small (the sea urchin, for example, had two sea urchin tongues to the order). Sauces on cooked fish are very, very good, but the fish was poorly cooked, as were two miniscule, mushy langoustines. One dish, for example, was made using one of those flavorless little farmed turbots, although the menu said John Dory. Our waiter explained it's almost exactly the same fish :blink:. Anyway, it seemed like the anti-sous-vide ads that Gwynnett St. produced early on. Brandade was made with fresh cod that was too wet (or maybe the potatoes were too wet?) and, if you can believe it, not nearly salty enough for me.

The wine list is very nice indeed.

I don't know what to make of it, but I'm simultaneously thinking Le Bernardin has nothing on them based on a recent meal, and that this still doesn't make it a very good fish and seafood kitchen. At $270 before tip for more or less enough food for two, a bottle of wine ($66), and two cocktails, it's not exactly a bargain either. I've only had cocktails here before, I think I'll keep doing that and oysters.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Tongues?  Gonads, sir, surely.

#14 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I don't know what to make of it, but I'm simultaneously thinking Le Bernardin has nothing on them based on a recent meal, and that this still doesn't make it a very good fish and seafood kitchen.

Care to elaborate?

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#15 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

In suspense here.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.