18 replies to this topic

#16 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

I strongly urge you not to spraypaint them or do anything to their exterior. It really risks affecting the sound.

Really?

We have a set of Sonics Argentas. Remarkably good sound for the size.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,167 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

My understanding of a phono mag is that it's a unit (or cartridge) that converts
the vibrations of your phonograph/turntable needle into electromagnetic signals
that can be fed to your receiver (or amplifier). It should be part of your turntable
already and the output from the turntable can be fed into the phono mag input
jack on the reciver. That jack is meant to accept low level signals, though, so
if your turntable does some pre-amplification on its own the phono mag jack
may not be the right one to use.

The only thing to add is that there were/are magnetic cartridges ("Phono Mag" input jack) and ceramic cartridges (sometimes "Phono Cer" input jack). Their input jacks were also sometimes called, respectively, "Phono Low Level" and "Phono High Level" because, as FD indicates, magnetic cartridges had/have low-level outputs (whereas ceramic cartridges have/had higher level outputs). Probably, RG has a magnetic cartridge (which would thus get his turntable plugged into the "Phono Mag" input jack). But if possible he should check.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

Posted Image

Nowadays Steve, these are more the thing.

#19 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

The nice thing is they work in any decor.

I've ended up using my old speakers and so far, no paint or contact paper over them. Once I finish unpacking and putting the finishing touches on things, who knows? they sound great.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed