Bouchon Bakery fire
Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:44 PM
The esteemed French Laundry chef's Bouchon Bakery outpost in Yountville was hotter than ever this morning. Unfortunately, it wasn't because of the macarons. A one-alarm fire broke out in the attic above the kitchen sometime around 5:30 a.m. while bakery staff prepared this morning's fresh batch of croissants. Six fire engines and 30 firefighters showed up to battle the blaze that caused an estimated $100,000 worth of smoke and water damage to the bakery's stove and interior.
Keller's staff who called in the fire all managed to make it out without any injuries. (Except to that lost batch of croissants, we presume.) No word yet on how long until the bakery is back in business cranking out TK's famous oreos.
Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:09 PM
One comment to the original article mentions a possible cause. The poster asserts that wood beams exposed to high temperatures over long periods of time will gradually change its composition. That will cause it to smolder in low oxygen situations (caught between the ceiling and the roof or insulation, etc if it ignites due to a spark, electrical short in a blower, etc.
I'm aware of two situations where this took place, one was a bakery, the other a restaurant. It should be interesting to see what the investigation concludes.
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”