23 replies to this topic

#16 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,018 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

I actually thought Oklahoma Joe took a sort of Brooklyn approach. None of the preciousness, but increased attention to ingredient quality and kitchen technique.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#17 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:14 AM

Joe's Kansas City is a definite, but if I can do a 2nd, do I go to Slap's or Q39? Q39 seems a little frou frou, but if it's good, it's good (it's also convenient to where we're staying). 

Or any other suggestions? I've been to LC's, Backyard, Arthur Bryant. . . I think those plus Joe's (then Oklahoma Joe's) were all part of the eG heartland gathering back in the day. I'd like to try at least one new (to me) place. Oh, open Sundays ideally, which I know limits our options! (we'll head to Joe's as soon as we arrive Saturday. Hopefully the line won't be too long. . . )

#18 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Joe's Kansas City is a definite, but if I can do a 2nd, do I go to Slap's or Q39? Q39 seems a little frou frou, but if it's good, it's good (it's also convenient to where we're staying). 

Or any other suggestions? I've been to LC's, Backyard, Arthur Bryant. . . I think those plus Joe's (then Oklahoma Joe's) were all part of the eG heartland gathering back in the day. I'd like to try at least one new (to me) place. Oh, open Sundays ideally, which I know limits our options! (we'll head to Joe's as soon as we arrive Saturday. Hopefully the line won't be too long. . . )

You're only interested in barbecue? We have so many great places! How long are you here and where are you staying? We could always meet for a glass of bubbly at http://www.cavakc.com/.

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#19 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,972 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

This was my take on Q39.. I was not super impressed.. 

http://mouthfulsfood.../29542-q39-bbq/

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,018 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:56 PM

NOT BARBECUE:  I loved Bluestem, although it was a long time ago.  And I'd love to try Rye.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

You're only interested in barbecue? We have so many great places! How long are you here and where are you staying? We could always meet for a glass of bubbly at http://www.cavakc.com/.

I'll just be there Saturday night and since barbeque is the only type of food I can't get, barbeque it is! I did love bluestem, and all the other places we visited in kc during the Heartland gathering, but with only one night, I have to be cutthroat with my choices!

But if you have time to meet up, I'd love to! I won't have cell access while I'm traveling, but you can pm me here. I think we're going to try to leave fairly early Sunday (before 11). Know of any good breakfast places?

(The KC Heartland gathering is still my favorite of all the ones I attended!)

#22 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:43 AM

Someone (me) didn't realize it was a 9-hour drive to Amarillo from Kansas. Oops. So likely only one barbeque place and no breakfast for me, which sucks because I love breakfast (and brunch)! I will have to plan better next time.

#23 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

Hit Slap's and Joe's on Saturday. I think Joe's is probably 10-20% better than alternatives, depending on your order: We waited ~40 minutes. Worth it?

At Slap's, ribs were great. Burnt ends were not burnt ends. Beans were terrible. No wait.

The best burnt ends I've had were at Rub (rip). By a very significant margin.
Immortal space traveler.

#24 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:58 AM

Did you ever go to LC's? From what I remember, the burnt ends were excellent there. I don't remember anything else there though.

We only went to Joe's for lunch. Got there after 1, and waited maybe an hour or just under? We had a half slab rib dinner, 1/2 lb burnt ends, and onion rings. And apple crisp. Ribs were tender, but you really need the sauce, and i don't particularly like barbeque sauce that isn't applied during the cooking process (like at the end so it just gets lightly caramelized). The burnt ends were fantastic, as were the onion rings. I was thinking if I ever go back, I'll get two pounds burnt ends and a side of Texas toast. And maybe fries. That's all I need.

Too tired to get to any of the other places, and ended up having to leave around 7am. Next time!