218 replies to this topic

#121 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

This is getting wonderfully... baroque. Joan of Arc = game ravioli?

#122 chopjwu12

chopjwu12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:58 AM

The Baroque is a period and the style that used exaggerated motion and clear, easily interpreted detail to produce drama, tension, exuberance, and grandeur in sculpture, painting, literature, dance, music, AND COOKING. The style started around 1600 in Rome, Italy and spread to most of Europe.[1]

Yeah i had to look it up! LOL

Ready for this reasoning. Ive always found joan interesting. To be remembered forever for living so short a period of time is remarkable. So after doing some research on her i discovered many things. One for some odd reason several websites list her favorite food as spaghetti? Thought that was rather funny and probably not true but who knows. i also read that the army she was with suffered very badly from hunger and had to hunt and gather a lot of there food. Until a monk who had convinced an area of france that the world was going to end and everyone should plant beans so the hard work wouldnt go to waste. Yeah the army ate all the beans! Lol then as everyone knows she meets her end being burned to death. The end result is instead off spaghetti we go ravioli, for the hunting and gathering we have braised game chanterelle mushroom puree and truffles and for the being burnt alive we have fried crispy onions sprinkled with smoked paprika. LOL maybe im crazy but thats just how my brain works sometimes. One can only hope the end result is delicious! :lol:

#123 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Ha! I salute your scholarship.

#124 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Ready for this reasoning. Ive always found joan interesting. To be remembered forever for living so short a period of time is remarkable. So after doing some research on her i discovered many things. One for some odd reason several websites list her favorite food as spaghetti? Thought that was rather funny and probably not true but who knows.

Well, it is entirely possible considering this. During one of our annual stays at our favorite inn in Quebec (sadly, it burned down five years ago and was never rebuilt), Chirac, who was president of France at the time, was vacationing there. A staff member told us that he specifically requested spaghetti. (Side note: he drank beer, not wine.)

#125 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have to say that that menu for 13th/14th is only the second tasting menu I have ever seen anywhere which makes me salivate :rolleyes: There's not a single course that sounds anything less than wonderful.

What a pity I can't make those dates :o

#126 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

The January Famous Birthdays Dinner was another home run. The man's a creative genius. Pickled banana (in the Elvis dish)? Who knew? Crispy onions in the Joan of Arc dish to signify her having been burned at the stake? A genius with a sense of humor. It was very worth braving the insanely fierce wind that nearly blew Michael and me off the island before we made it into Dave's place.

Thanks, Dave! Looking forward to seeing what you have up your culinary sleeve for February.

To see the photos with labels, click here.

#127 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

The January Famous Birthdays Dinner was another home run. The man's a creative genius. Pickled banana (in the Elvis dish)? Who knew? Crispy onions in the Joan of Arc dish to signify her having been burned at the stake? A genius with a sense of humor. It was very worth braving the insanely fierce wind that nearly blew Michael and me off the island before we made it into Dave's place.

Thanks, Dave! Looking forward to seeing what you have up your culinary sleeve for February.

To see the photos with labels, click here.

As always, lovely photos.

#128 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,083 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

What would have gone into the David Bowie dish, I wonder?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#129 chopjwu12

chopjwu12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

lol he made the top ten actaully but the menu can only be so long!

#130 chopjwu12

chopjwu12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

SO this email is in the works but i like to throw it to my good friends on mouthfuls first!

Um segredo would like to present to you the menus and dates for our February dinners. First off will be a dinner that we are repeating because of the great interest and limited availability. We will be doing the oceans bounty menu again on February 4th. But jump on it fast if your interested because the spots will fill quickly. Following that dinner we will be celebrating valentines day as only a chef who has been burned by love can. On February 10th and 11th we will be presenting the tragic love story menu! All the grand love stories of history that have a not so happy ending! But at least the food it inspired will! Following that dinner Um Segredo will fulfill another request on February 17th and 18th. This time the shouting from the stands has us inspired enough to do a 6 course vegetarian menu. Easy Vegans we haven't been convinced of going that far quite yet! LOL And to end the month of February with a bang we will be doing a Decadence of February menu on the 24th and 25th. Inspirational luxury items turned into wonderful creations for the palate! I look forward to seeing all of you at a dinner in the near future.

Dave

Oceans bounty
$75 donation

My tragic Valentine
$85 Donation

Andrew Jackson & Rachel Donelson
Pickled oyster, avocado & smoked tomato

Heloise & Abelard
Asparagus, poached egg, truffle vinaigrette

Ines de Castro & King Pedro
Grilled marinated Branzino, almond foam, piri-piri

Queen Victoria & Prince Albert
Salmon and walnut "pie"

Shah Jahan & Mumtaz Mahal
Masala cured foie gras, red rice puree, honey

Romeo & Juliet
Braised short ribs, polenta, basil pistou

Cleopatra & Mark Antony
Fig compote, chocolate crumbs, vanilla gelato

Tasting of Vegetables
$75 Donation

Mushroom Carpacio
Porcini, arugula, parmesan

Winter Salad
Endive, kumquats, tempura kale

Smoked Tomato Soup
Aged cheddar grill cheese

Poached Egg
Caramelized onion cassoulet

Tortellini
Celery root, truffle foam

"Pecan Pie"

Decadent February
$100 Donation

Venison Tar Tar
Red curry, peanuts, rice crisps

Scallops
Kumquat puree, coco nib, scallions

Japanese Ayu
Forbidden rice risotto, sweet potato foam

Ravioli
Sweet breads,Black truffle sauce

Roasted Rack of Lamb
Braised chard, chickpea puree, baby carrots

#131 chopjwu12

chopjwu12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Here is a link to annies blog about the dinner.

http://fritesandfrie...9/um-segredo-vi

Other then that i just wanted everyone to know that um segredo is pairing up with the good folks from city grit to do 4 dinners in the city.

March 1st will be themed march madness! But instead of basketball it will be based on foods once thought to make a person mad. Think elderflower cured tasmanian sea trout, rye crisps, absithe gel. Its going to be so much fun.

Then march 8th im teaming up with andrew kraft from my 5 and diamond experience and 6th street kitchen before it sadly burned down to offer a fun quality driven minnesota menu. We are taking it back to andrews roots with dishes like seared walleye, wild rice risotto and hazlenut foam.

Follow that with March 9th menu inspired by the opening of quality oysters. Every course has some form of oyster even the last with ny style cheese cake and oyster cracker crust! LOL i know not really oysters but do we really want oysters for dessert?

And the final menu is under works for March 10th. Im teaming up my friend akiko for a fun filled japaquese menu! Yeah you said that right. An actual cuisine of the islands of hawaii. The japanese and portuguese will come together to form one kick ass menu!

Tickets will be on sale this week on the city grit website. I hope to see many of you guys there.

Dave

#132 chopjwu12

chopjwu12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

a copy of the email sent out.

Well, it finally happened! It's time to hit the big city. After many requests from our loyal fan base, we are finally setting some roots down in Manhattan. Um Segredo is teaming up with the good people at City Grit to create a fun and unique dining experience. I'm invading their kitchen on March 1st, 8th, 9th and 10th to put together one crazy fun menu after another. With some help from great chef friends of mine, this is going to be something nobody will want to miss..

Starting on March 1st, we are doing a March Madness menu. No, it's not going to be basketball related, but that was the inspiration! The menu is going to be influenced by foods once thought to make you crazy! Hopefully, we prepare everything right and nobody actually does!!!!! ;O)

Amuse

Elderflower cured Tasmanian sea trout
Rye crisp, absinthe jelly

Mushroom and pork belly salad
Portuguese "butter" vinaigrette, baby mizuna

Sea Bream
Roasted eggplant, baby bok choy, thai curry broth

Stilton tortelloni
Lemon poppy pistou, apple crisp

"Shepperd's Pie"
Coffee braised venison, roasted vegetables, potato foam

Almond bread pudding
Nutmeg caramel, vanilla gelato

On March 8th i will be teaming up with my good friend Andrew Kraft. His roots are deep in Minnesota pride, so what better way to have fun but to do an inspiring explore Minnesota menu? We are taking classic Minnesota ingredients and putting a lot of love in them to create a refined midwest "comfort food" menu.

Amuse
"green bean casserole"

Pickled mushroom salad
asparagus, poached egg, mizuna

Roasted pork belly
smoked potato puree, German potato salad, pickled mustard seeds

Walleye
wild rice risotto, hazelnut foam

Braised Short Ribs
herbed spatzle, Root veg, onion puree

Apple Bread Pudding
cider puree, Vanilla and salted caramel gelato

Tickets can be purchased at http://citygritnyc.com/

On March 9th, I will be putting together an "ode to the oyster houses" menu. I offered something like this on Tuesdays at Griffou when I was there. People had a blast with it then, so I thought it would be nice to bring it back.

Amuse

First Course
oysters on a half shell with a variety sauces

Second Course
pickled oyster and pork belly salad, onion fondue, arugula

Third Course
Oyster stew

Fourth Course
Oyster po boy, portuguese potatoes

Fifth Course
"NY cheesecake" oyster cracker crumble

Finally, to cap it off we are going Japaquese! This time I will team up with my good friend Akiko Moorman to create a fusion between Portuguese and the Japanese cuisines. An actual cuisine in Hawaii, we are looking to put our own little spin on this one!

First Course
snapper ceviche, shiso, veg crisp

Second Course
Portuguese octopus and japanese sardines
smoked potato puree, parsley pistou

Third Course
"Kale Soup"
Kale, potatoes, chourico, miso broth

Fourth Course
tempura baby vegetables and prawns, piri piri sauce

Fifth Course
manila clams, pork shoulder, japanese sweet potatoes and pickles

Sixth Course
Yuzu rice pudding, spiced tapioca crisp, mint gel

Tickets can be purchased at: http://citygritnyc.com/

I hope to see all of you there and thank you all very much and for your continued support!

Dave
umsegredo12@gmail.com
www.umsegredony.com
@umsegredo12

#133 chopjwu12

chopjwu12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

If anyone could make it out to the thursday event this week it would be appreciated. The short notice has been troublesome to help fill it. If your on the email list ill be sending something special out later today.

Dave

#134 Penguin

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

If anyone could make it out to the thursday event this week it would be appreciated. The short notice has been troublesome to help fill it. If your on the email list ill be sending something special out later today.

Dave

To anyone worrying that David would lose a beat transferring Um Segredo to another venue, rest assured Thursday's dinner was a triumph -- easily the best meal I've eaten this year anywhere. Congratulations, Dave. Coming back for more next week.

#135 chopjwu12

chopjwu12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Back at city grit at theend of the month for two dinners that complete opposites. First is the veg dinner because it was so popular the first time and second is my favorite meat spring lamb. Hope to see you there.

VEGGIE TALES

Chef David Santos will be joinung us once again tell the story of Spring, highlighting the very best of the vegetables that bring with them longer days and warmer sunshine.

Artichoke Carpacio: Favas, mizuna, barigoule vinaigrette
Chilled Carrot Soup: English peas, ginger flan
Asparagus Risotto: White asparagus foam
Wild Mushroom Cassoulet: Poached egg, spring pole beans, crostinis
Pineapple Upside Down Cake: Nutmeg caramel, rum gelato
When: Friday, March 30th at 7:30pm
Where: 38 Prince (between Mott and Mulberry)
Price: $65. A selection of wines will be available for purchase.

SPRING LAMB DINNER

They say March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb. So we thought it would be appropriate to send March out with a lamb inspired dinner.

Lamb Tar Tar: Kibby spice aoili, chick peas, pita crisps
Lambs Tongue Salad: Heirlooms potatoes, favas, peas
Lamb Leg Ragu: Creamy polenta, mint, sheep’s milk riccota
House-made Lamb Sausage: Tomato marmalade, eggplant, parsley pistou
Mango curd: Spiced crumble, vanilla gelato
When: Saturday, March 31st at 7:00pm
Where: 38 Prince (between Mott and Mulberry)
Price: $85. A selection of wines will be available for purchase.