5167 replies to this topic

#5101 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:50 PM

You want to call turkey chili over rice and chicken "nugs"  "chefy" that is up to you. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#5102 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,197 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:53 PM

I'm talking about the way it's promoted.  It's promoted as "cheffy".

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5103 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,197 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:54 PM

Again, I'm not talking about the way it is.  I'm talking about whether the way it was promoted made it a valid review subject.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5104 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:57 PM

I reserved in advance to go to a guest-chef gig in New York by Daniel Patterson.  Has anyone ever done that for ANYONE connected with Shake Shack?

You mean the emp hotdog cart?

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#5105 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,197 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:01 PM

I only know the hype.  If the hype were true, LocoL could have gotten two stars, same as Superiority Burger.

Note that, except inasmuch as Kerry Heffernan supervised the initial hot dog stand, Shake Shack was never chef-driven.

Emphasis added

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5106 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,197 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:14 PM

(Note that EMP itself wasn't a very "cheffy" restaurant back then.  It was more like the Union Square Cafe:  restaurateur Meyer was more important to the public than the chef, Kerry Heffernan.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5107 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

The problem is that Pete Wells is the restaurant critic for the New York Times. that's not the guy to make this point. And, if he wants to do it, he shouldn't do it through a 1k word restaurant review outside of New York. Indeed, the text of the article makes that apparent.

Oddly, someone like Bruni or Bourdain could make this point. Just that Wells, the guy with the most bourgeoise job in the universe, who has never shown that he has thought deeply about these things, is not the guy to write this piece in this style.

It's tone deaf.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#5108 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:30 PM

The problem is that Pete Wells is the restaurant critic for the New York Times. that's not the guy to make this point. And, if he wants to do it, he shouldn't do it through a 1k word restaurant review outside of New York. Indeed, the text of the article makes that apparent.

Oddly, someone like Bruni or Bourdain could make this point. Just that Wells, the guy with the most bourgeoise job in the universe, who has never shown that he has thought deeply about these things, is not the guy to write this piece in this style.

It's tone deaf.

if anything, he is the most prominent food critic in all of the land.. He tried the food and he didn't like it.. That's what I took from it.. The fact that all of these other people fell in love with this "concept" which they haven't really gone forward with outside of opening one of their two restaurants in Watts and another in a hipster area, seems kind of way too soon to give them the person of the year award..  

Sorry but, I am a cynic and a skeptic and I am pretty close to calling bullshit on this whole idea.. They are business people, hoping to make millions and millions of dollars by opening a national chain of restaurants.. That is all I see.. They have gotten a lot of free press and been handled with an incredible amount of care, despite the fact that the food is probably pretty terrible?  Like a lot of these hippy dippy "ideas"  it falls short where it counts and is fueled by a lot of good intentions and positive vibes..  And you can't eat good intentions.  But really, if their true intention was to go to under served areas, why the hell would their second location be where it is?  My only guess is, they are passing this food off to people who "like the idea" and feel like they are doing their civic duty by scarfing this crap down.   And might as well pick up a 20 dollar hat on my way out the door.  You know, so I can show people just how much I do care.. About, you know, cheeseburgers for poor people and junk 

Perhaps a better idea,  have the same concept in rich and poor neighborhoods.. In the rich neighborhoods charge double or triple the price and however many meals are sold in the one area, will allow meals to be given out in a depressed neighborhood.  Kind of like Tom's for burgers. 

#5109 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:19 AM

I'd gladly pay $26 for a porchetta sandwich at Mekelburg's Greenwich, CT

#5110 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:25 AM

Parenthetically, a KPIX (SF Bay Area CBS) news segment this evening responded to the NYT review with interviews of the Locol staff, with cameos of Patterson and Choi.   The gist was that the enterprise was a training program for young people who'd run afoul of the law and those otherwise underemployed or unemployable.    The young cooks admitted that they were a work in progress, eager to learn their craft on the job.    Diners shown in the clip were typical urban office/business types happy to support a worthy cause.   

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#5111 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:55 AM

One can just hope they follow through with their stated intention

#5112 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,427 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

What happened? Thought he was supposed to review that new Taco Truck in Bismarck, North Dakota today???

#5113 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,668 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

Jonathan Gold weighs in.

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5114 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,915 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

Very good piece: thanks for the link.

Telling for me was the Wells comment that the guys have to do better with the food. For who (whom?)? Again, does it have to be better to beat McDonalds?

#5115 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,197 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

Just to give Gerry his due credit:

FWIW on another note, Jonathan Gold feels that the place is possibly "unreviewable," but then goes on to more or less give his assessment: http://www.latimes.c...-htmlstory.html

Bar Loser

MF Old