5227 replies to this topic

#5221 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,422 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:49 PM

I would bet lots of money that he's received a directive to review more restaurants that are "accessible".

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5222 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,422 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:50 PM

And while -- unlike others here -- I have no problem with his reviewing these cheaper places, the Made Nice review makes clear that he's confused about what standard to impose.  Like, you can't possibly judge Made Nice against EMP and NoMad.  That just isn't the point.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5223 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:26 PM

Why does Wells keep reviewing places like Shake Shack, LocoL, and Made Nice?

Because considering the number of fine dining / formally trained chefs entering the casual arena, it's worth finding out whether or not these places are any good.

#5224 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,422 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:27 PM

Yeah, that, too.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5225 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:38 PM

the Made Nice review makes clear that he's confused about what standard to impose.  Like, you can't possibly judge Made Nice against EMP and NoMad.  That just isn't the point.

Agree, and Sutton's review went a similar route. Cuozzo was perhaps more realistic about it, and the Village Voice was pretty forgiving. On its face it does sound more ambitious (and possibly better) than LocoL, but apparently not enough to warrant a star. Again, I can't help but think of Superiority Burger.

#5226 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,422 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:47 PM

Not having eaten at Made Nice (I actually walked in once, but nothing on the menu appealed to me) (you'll be shocked to learn that I ended up at the NoMad Bar instead), I can't judge.  But it wouldn't surprise me at all if Made Nice deserved the rating it got.  It's just that I would think it would be a "favorable" Satisfactory, rather than a pan.  And the comparisons are with other fast-casual places, not EMP and NoMad.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5227 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:29 PM

Is the Times cutting his budget?

Maybe he wants to keep taking trips out of town, and this is the compromise: Okay, we'll send you to California, but while you're here, you eat cheap.

#5228 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,753 posts

Posted Today, 11:04 AM

Is the Times cutting his budget?

Maybe he wants to keep taking trips out of town, and this is the compromise: Okay, we'll send you to California, but while you're here, you eat cheap.

...not California, Barrow, Alaska. Some great spots in the "old city" part of town.