5391 replies to this topic

#5356 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,537 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

(I feel bad for the McDonald's diagonally across the street.  NOT.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5357 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

Relevant to this thread, look at the reaction when Wells reviewed Shake Shack in 2012: http://www.esquire.c...review-6813962/

#5358 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

Pete Wells on technology and food reviews.

This quote was particularly interesting to me.

What’s your opinion on Yelp, where everyone is a wannabe food critic?

I probably look at Yelp more than some other critics because I’m convinced there’s valuable information in there. The hard part is extracting it from all the useless stuff, which is what most people in food media see when they look at Yelp.

The basic problem is that Yelp was built to reward frequent posting rather than knowledge or insight or expertise. And yet there are people on Yelp who know a lot about food and eat around and have a pretty solid basis for comparison. I find that Yelp is most useful with Korean, Chinese and Japanese food, because, for a number of reasons, there tend to be a lot of Yelpers who know those cuisines pretty well.

Voyager and I were talking about this recently. Of course all Yelp reviews need to be parsed.  There's plenty of dreck there but also lots of good information.

It's interesting that Wells was vague about why reviews of Asian restaurants tend to be a bit more reliable.  I suspect he's reluctant to be seen as criticizing the restaurant industry.  To be more specific, plenty of restaurants, especially in their first months of operation, tend to be buzzy.  They attract lots of breathless Yelp reviews from people who care mostly about the scene.

Asian restaurants, with certain notable exceptions, don't.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5359 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:27 PM

That is a very telling comment. My expectation is Wells uses Yelp etc to crowd source his frame of reference. Useful when he doesn't have a solid handle on the cuisine.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#5360 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

Actually its because 75% of serious yelp posters (and food instagrams) are young Asian women. I dont know why Wells is hesitant to point out the obvious.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#5361 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

(Im writing this from the first food-mad city I have ever been to that wasnt full of young Asian women. I cant believe I beat them here. Nothing pejorative intended at all btw.)

#5362 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

Actually its because 75% of serious yelp posters (and food instagrams) are young Asian women. I dont know why Wells is hesitant to point out the obvious.

I don't know about your 75% figure but I've found that they make up a disproportionate number of high frequency posters.  Some are not particularly knowledgeable but plenty of them are.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5363 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:36 PM

Dramatic effect but we are in agreement. I think it seems obvious the Yelp consensus on Asian places would generally be more accurate.

#5364 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

I know it's not the Mouthfuls Way but I agree.

#5365 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

I don't know: I can't estimate the percentage of that group which knows anything about food (even Asian food).  Anecdotally, many don't.  

#5366 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

Sounds like it could be the definition of crowd sourcing.

Not unlike the foundation of OA, for a select group of knowledgeable and vetted dining fans.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#5367 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

I assume by "Asian" you're talking about those people who all look the same and of course know about such similar cuisines as Thai and Japanese.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5368 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

That's them.

You've seen them too?

#5369 Daniel

Daniel