#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,442 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:00 AM

May be there for a couple of nights.

Ideally I would like a "best restaurant in town" type of suggesion, plus a suggestion or two for traditional/local/historic. For example, a traditional shore dinner? And of course any local specialties.

I did see a bar called The Wild Colonial Tavern in a few Best of... lists, but happy to hear about others.

We don't seem to have much info on the city, so grateful for anything.

#2 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:15 AM

Ideally I would like a "best restaurant in town" type of suggesion, plus a suggestion or two for traditional/local/historic. For example, a traditional shore dinner? And of course any local specialties.

I did see a bar called The Wild Colonial Tavern in a few Best of... lists, but happy to hear about others.

Well, I like Evelyn's drive-in during nice weather, but it's not really nice out and it's brutally cold. And it's a bit of a drive.

http://offthebroiler...elyns-drive-in/

In lieu of that, go to Horton's.

http://offthebroiler...h-mini-podcast/

In the little italy area I like Caserta Pizza. Very locals place.

http://offthebroiler...serta-pizzeria/
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#3 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

I really like La Laiterie.

#4 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

La Laiterie is the best hands down, you don't need to look further.
For Pizza Bob's and Timmy's.

#5 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

La Laiterie is the best hands down, you don't need to look further.
For Pizza Bob's and Timmy's.

I also like Julian's for breakfast -- excellent house-made English muffins.

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,442 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

That's great; thanks.

#7 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

Also, my son is a fan of Nick's on Broadway for breakfast/brunch -- but I have not been. Over the last four years that I have (quite sporadically) eaten in Providence, I have found that "less is more".

#8 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

Well, there are some great unique treats available only in RI:

New York Weiners (Yep, only in RI, they cone grilled with chili and celery salt-- great!)
Awful Awfuls-- a twist on a milkshake
Pizza strips-- quite different from the NY variety, no cheese-- an acquired taste.

There are no real "shore dinners" in Providence, best bet is a dive shack with great "Stuffies". clam cakes, and RI clear chowder.(all unique to RI) Iggy's in Warwick is probably the best of this ilk.

Top high end restos in Providence Chez Pascal, Gracie's, and Nick's on Broadway. New Rivers might give you the historic feel you asked for.

Also, for a real local treat, take out a very special, very unique-tasting Squash Pie from Gregg's. Travels well, right on the back seat!

#9 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Nibbling in New England.

I'm doing a little nibbling in New England.
Had to pass thru Providence on Wednesday and overnight it there.
Manic munch for lunch.
Re-immersed in Italian in the evening with friends. Poor planning ... but then again Providence is very eye-talian.
La Laiterie was full. Dinner was at Bacaro. Okay enough for mainstream Italian. Lots of charcuterie options.
Very good for Providence, I'm told. Nothing interesting going on there in my eyes.
Decent $32 Chef's Salumi Board with various odds and ends. Blah squid and octopus salad. Less-than-blah argula and apple(?) salad.
My main was a yawn but I wasn't really even hungry by then. Service is amateur hour. Welcome to the Great State of Rhode Island !
I didn't really care ... it was a chance to catch up with friends who I hadn't seen since being on their lovely boat in Nantucket harbor over a year ago.
He and she both love boats. As does Chambo. They just bought a place in FL on the intercoastal. And a boat to go with it. Making plans to hook up with them in winter.

Sometimes restaurants and dinners are just a venue to reminisce about the past and plan the future with great friends. And that's a good thing.

Spent about 18 hours total in Providence. That was perfect. That was plenty.

Bob and Timmy's for a super fast part-of-a-pizza lunch.
I was in and out in less than 15 minutes. Ordered from the hotel. Arrived probably 5 minutes after pizza was done.
(Did you all know that Chambo's a very very busy man ?)
They reheated it quickly upon my arrival. Other than the crust, I don't think that caused too much degradation.
"The Grille Classic" - Wild Mushrooms, Grilled Yellow Onions, Pepperoni, Parmesan and Romano Cheese with Marinara Sauce.
I didn't sprinkle anything extra on it. That's exactly how it comes.
I ate not even half cuz that was plenty - it was 3pm upon my arrival and I had the above, not-late dinner planned.
This place is a typical, zero-ambience, dumpy pizza joint ... what such a pizza joint probably should be.
Thin crust. Nice tangy tomato sauce. Plenty of toppings of okay-I-guess quality. Tasty in that "good slop" sorta way.
This ain't any sort of chi-chi, nuevo place. We're talking old school here.
If I lived in Providence (which I hope to hell that I never will), I'd be ordering out from here often enough.
Perfect heavy, tasty, full-flavored za for those cold lazy winter nights cuddled up a couch. Marries well with watching a movie.
But it surely wasn't worth Chambo racing around town to indulge in it.
Then again, the things Chambo does for the glorious Mouthfuls Nation.
I'm a Patriot, I guess. Continuing northward ...

Picture of the whole pie at Bob and Timmy's.

Posted Image

Picture of crust (a la Daniel).

Posted Image

They cut their pies north south and east west just like uptown Manhattan cuts her streets. Behold a Central Square !

Posted Image

#10 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

Nibbling in New England.

I'm doing a little nibbling in New England.
Had to pass thru Providence on Wednesday and overnight it there.
Manic munch for lunch.
Re-immersed in Italian in the evening with friends. Poor planning ... but then again Providence is very eye-talian.
La Laiterie was full. Dinner was at Bacaro. Okay enough for mainstream Italian. Lots of charcuterie options.
Very good for Providence, I'm told. Nothing interesting going on there in my eyes.
Decent $32 Chef's Salumi Board with various odds and ends. Blah squid and octopus salad. Less-than-blah argula and apple(?) salad.
My main was a yawn but I wasn't really even hungry by then. Service is amateur hour. Welcome to the Great State of Rhode Island !
I didn't really care ... it was a chance to catch up with friends who I hadn't seen since being on their lovely boat in Nantucket harbor over a year ago.
He and she both love boats. As does Chambo. They just bought a place in FL on the intercoastal. And a boat to go with it. Making plans to hook up with them in winter.

Sometimes restaurants and dinners are just a venue to reminisce about the past and plan the future with great friends. And that's a good thing.

Spent about 18 hours total in Providence. That was perfect. That was plenty.

Bob and Timmy's for a super fast part-of-a-pizza lunch.
I was in and out in less than 15 minutes. Ordered from the hotel. Arrived probably 5 minutes after pizza was done.
(Did you all know that Chambo's a very very busy man ?)
They reheated it quickly upon my arrival. Other than the crust, I don't think that caused too much degradation.
"The Grille Classic" - Wild Mushrooms, Grilled Yellow Onions, Pepperoni, Parmesan and Romano Cheese with Marinara Sauce.
I didn't sprinkle anything extra on it. That's exactly how it comes.
I ate not even half cuz that was plenty - it was 3pm upon my arrival and I had the above, not-late dinner planned.
This place is a typical, zero-ambience, dumpy pizza joint ... what such a pizza joint probably should be.
Thin crust. Nice tangy tomato sauce. Plenty of toppings of okay-I-guess quality. Tasty in that "good slop" sorta way.
This ain't any sort of chi-chi, nuevo place. We're talking old school here.
If I lived in Providence (which I hope to hell that I never will), I'd be ordering out from here often enough.
Perfect heavy, tasty, full-flavored za for those cold lazy winter nights cuddled up a couch. Marries well with watching a movie.
But it surely wasn't worth Chambo racing around town to indulge in it.
Then again, the things Chambo does for the glorious Mouthfuls Nation.
I'm a Patriot, I guess. Continuing northward ...

Picture of the whole pie at Bob and Timmy's.

Posted Image

Picture of crust (a la Daniel).

Posted Image

They cut their pies north south and east west just like uptown Manhattan cuts her streets. Behold a Central Square !

Posted Image

Too bad you couldn't go to La Laiterie -- it's the best that Providence has to offer (which, as you know is relative). Luckily, I no longer need to find dining options in Providence after 4 years, but, then again, now that my kid has moved on to New Haven, we're now finding ourselves a bit hungry during our visits.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,702 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Pulino's used to slice their pies like that. Maybe the still do.

Michael White's midwestern pizza place originally announced its intention to slice that way, but in a shocking last-minute turnaround announced it would adopt the New York triangular convention instead.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,702 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Franny's, of course, doesn't slice their pies at all. So it's all up to the geographical/ethnic/esthetic preference of the diner (and to his or her slicing abilities).
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

Ok… 4+ years later and we're going to be in Providence for 1 night (on the way to the Cape) on Monday, May 4th.  Anyone have an idea?  I'll ask on CH too  :) .  (thanks)

This space available… contact owner.

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:50 PM

Along the way, there's Abbott's in the Rough at Noank CT. Delightful place to enjoy a few bellies, a beer, and the sailboats bobbing.

And the original Mystic Pizza...

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#15 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:53 PM

Along the way, there's Abbott's in the Rough at Noank CT. Delightful place to enjoy a few bellies, a beer, and the sailboats bobbing.

And the original Mystic Pizza...

Sounds nice but we aint stopping to smell the roses (or the clam bellies).  3+ hours straight to Providence on Monday, one dinner and night in the Hilton, then a short drive to the Cape the next morning to meet our friends.

This space available… contact owner.