72 replies to this topic

#46 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:03 AM

Wall Street Journal has a short weekender piece on Providence.  They like it. Dean Hotel.

Walk two minutes to Benjamin Sukle's much-praised boîte, Birch (200 Washington St., birchrestaurant.com). Mr. Sukle, an alum of local Johnson & Wales University, serves combinations—like raw beef wrapped in kohlrabi, or slow-roasted carrot and grilled quahog clam with almond milk—that are surprising without being too challenging.

Drinks at Dorrance.

They like Pawtucket (isn't there a minor league baseball team there?).

Mention the Modern Diner on Pawtucket's East Avenue for its jalapeno eggs. And the Tacos Don Nacho truck nearby.  They suggest Al Forno for dinner.

Lots of discussion of vinyl shops, cookware, bead boutiques, etc although everything is prefaced with get in your car and drive ten or 15 minutes to...

The RISDMuseum is mentioned.

8 a.m. For the best big breakfast in town, drive a few minutes to quaint, minuscule Kitchen. Even at this hour, there may be a wait, but the extra-crispy bacon and better-than-home pancakes are worth it (94 Carpenter St., 401-270-4454). If you'd rather sleep in, fuel up at Nicks on Broadway, known for its all-day brunch (500 Broadway, nicksonbroadway.com).Chef-owner Derek Wagner's house-baked granola is hard to resist, and he makes a mean Bloody Mary.

Finish up at the Olneyville New York system for a Rhode Island hot dog. Wieners with meat sauce, yellow mustard, celery, and served with coffee milk.

http://www.wsj.com/a...ence-1411755862

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#47 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

Sunday evening - Oberlin. Or Birch?

#48 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:35 PM

Next time I'm itching to try Oberlin, it's the Wildair to Ben Sukle's Contra-like restaurant birch.

Satisfy that itch, as Oberlin was most enjoyable, and your description is not far off, though I'd say Birch is more Contra-like than Oberlin is Wildair-like.  In any event, here's the menu...

31073462016_31f5c70840.jpg

Service was great, and we were allowed to order as we went along, though I don't know if that's always the case as we were early arrivers for Sunday dinner because we had skipped lunch and Sig Eater had to get up quite early for a conference starting Monday morn.

We had brandade, black bass crudo, smoked swordfish, cacio e pepe, the pheasant tajarin (superb), and this wonderful melange of olives, mojama and roasted peppers...

30996077271_bfc5a2f586.jpg

Finished it all with the tart (more of a crostata actually) and ice cream, both fine examples...

31073646456_23959021cb.jpg

With 2 cocktails (Negroni at $8! and Gin & tonic at $6!!), 3 glasses of wine, and 1 sake, our bill totaled $137 before tip.

Obviously, a place like this would be in regular rotation.

#49 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,802 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:18 PM

we went to Oberlin this last trip and had a fantastic meal... Service is outstanding, the drink selection was great and the food was on point.. This is one of the few restaurants out of town that make me wish it was close to me. 

We arrived after not having been there in a year and were greated like regulars.. they remembered us and Miss K and it was like we were there the week before..  We sat at the bar and split a delicious rare jar of Sake for 15 dollars..   While perusing the menu, there is a lot of value on the menu.. A Spanish Cider 6 ounce glass for 4 dollars?  4 dollars?  Crazy good value, why they would put anything for less than 5 bucks on the menu, doesn't make sense to me but, it's not NY I guess.. But, that 4 dollar glass could be 5 bucks with very little issue I am sure.. Or just make it an 8 ounce pour.. Despite things like that, yelp still gives it $$$

Their menu has a pretty promient crudo section.. We started with two.. Scallops and a medium rare or perfectly cooked mussel dish.. The mussles had a coconut cream while the scallop now escape me.. but, they were raw and fantastic.. i will remember I am sure, just a little out of sorts right now.

We moved on to gnocchi.. this was the lightest damn gnocchi i have ever had.. I don't know how it was held together.. Alicia always says that I make the best gnocchi she has ever had and god damn it, I felt her affections start to stray. On top of the lightness, they were also pan fried on one side.. that had to be the secret to holding it all together.. it was browned but, in now way acrid or burnt even the slightest.. It was served with a delicious seafood sauce..  the menu mentions chives but, that was not the main component of the sauce.. i was thinking it would be like the scallion and clam rissotto I love but, it was various seafood and a light tomato.. but, light in the actual sense where the taste of tomato was barely present.

But yeh, if there are 1000 Italian restaurant, 980 of them have some seafood gnocchi on them and this is better than 99 percent of them.. a dish that is often pedestrian or just plain shitty, was elevated to something beautiful.. always a shock and surprise.

35400853252_30714eeb0c_z.jpg

we had two other dishes, a summer squash and a kolrabi ceasar that were light and certainly good.. not outstanding but, certainly good... But, the last thing we had was something worth talking about for sure..

we ordered their special, for 25 dollars we received a huge black seabass had that was roasted in their oven...the bass was well over 1.5 pounds.. it was served with lettuce wraps and several accoutrements..   the fish needed salt badly, or perhaps a marinade but, the concept was amazing and the price was ridiculous for 25 bucks.. They also served it with a hot sauce that made up for the salt a bit..  But, it was way more than what we could eat.. 

I should say, that evening that also were selling a whole lacquered duck that looked ridiculous.. It was 65 or 85 bucks and fed 4 people.. I wanted to get it but, that would have meant we only would have eaten that.   but, this place is certainly good for a group if you get the one large table.. (I am already planning Miss k's RISD graduation Meal)

We drank a few different glasses of wine that complimented the food.. It was a fun night, we were well taken care of and all were happy.. Miss A was blown away, outside of the gnocchi and one of the crudo, I was very pleased and more inspired but, none the less, it's a special place and they are doing very good things.

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#50 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

Being in Providence on a Tuesday night meant that Oberlin was closed.

But right next door to our hotel (The Dean, a little too "quirky" for my liking) is a Bavarian place called Faust. Excellent German draft beer list, and some pretty good food. Their house-made pretzels are much different than Katja's. And their spaetzle is rye based and delicious. Good selection of wursts, and many other dishes we didn't get to try.

Might be right up the Mek's alley!

#51 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,802 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

Awesome I head over there in a couple of Thursday's

#52 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,802 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:02 AM

We went to Oberlin tonight. they were off tonight. They were pouring OEC which was cool.' But the gnocchi was off, another pasta was not exciting. A Herb salad was just not good. Desserts ended stronger.

No love lost but, not exciting

#53 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,757 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

I enjoyed Birch much more than Contra. The food is more satisfying. Outstanding local rock crab, good aged duck breast. The drink prices here are very pleasing too. Nice BTG wines $10/$11. Cheap liquor too.

#54 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,757 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:47 PM

Some food notes from Providence at the Pig.

#55 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

You might be missing a hyphen or a word in

It's vegetarian, but not especially vegan-friendly.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#56 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:33 PM

The Dean Hotel is terrible.  It's simply the only boutiquey hotel in Providence, so it gets way more accolades than it deserves.  It used to be a brothel and it shows.  It's hard to find a thing in RI that isn't quirky, but try the Hotel Providence for a more tolerable quirk and imminently better service.  Or the Omni because if it was good enough for Buddy C to live in, it is good enough for all of us.

Thank you for a trip down memory lane of my college spots (save Birch which wasn't there yet but I love now).  I always thought the ketchup at Julian's was the highlight and the rest was mediocre.  Sounds like that's still true?

#57 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

You might be missing a hyphen or a word in

It's vegetarian, but not especially vegan-friendly.

I think he means it's vegetarian-friendly, but not especially good for vegans?

#58 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,558 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

WOW!!!! Jess - many happy returns!!!!

#59 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,757 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:32 PM

The Dean Hotel is terrible.  It's simply the only boutiquey hotel in Providence, so it gets way more accolades than it deserves.  It used to be a brothel and it shows.  It's hard to find a thing in RI that isn't quirky, but try the Hotel Providence for a more tolerable quirk and imminently better service.  Or the Omni because if it was good enough for Buddy C to live in, it is good enough for all of us.

Thank you for a trip down memory lane of my college spots (save Birch which wasn't there yet but I love now).  I always thought the ketchup at Julian's was the highlight and the rest was mediocre.  Sounds like that's still true?

We stayed at the Omni, which was fine.

I did like the concealed bar at the Dean, the Magdalenae Room.

And yes, the tomato thing at Julian's was easily the highlight of the meal.  

#60 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

I'd (re) stay at the Omni way before returning to the Dean.