71 replies to this topic

#61 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,498 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:08 PM

The Early Bird Diner on Highway 17 / Savannah Highway shows up occasionally on Guy Fieri's Diners Dives and Drive in show.  Looks like a great place, based on the show.  The parking lot was full when we went past two years ago.

Eggs, hash, chicken, waffles, etc

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#62 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,274 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:22 PM

Bar Loser

MF Old

#63 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:39 PM

Goodness Charleston is a great place to eat (duh, I know). Dinner at McCrady's, Fig, and Minero were all amazing in very different ways. Lunch buffet at Middleton Place was even very good.Must go back soon...

#64 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,498 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:43 PM

Nice round up in the Wall Street Journal about the evolving dinner scene and grits  in Charleston.  Anson Mills and Adluh Grains get honorable mentions.  There's also an assertion that Yankee corn doesn't make a good a dish of grits as does Rebel corn.

High Points for grits in the Low Country:

Seewee Restaurant (4804 Highway 17 North, Awendah)

Hanibal's Soul Kitchen (16 Blake Street) - Hannibal’s combo is a dish of flaked local crab and plump shrimp fried up with diced green peppers and onion, served atop textbook white grits on a Styrofoam plate. The owner, Sani Huger, can’t say why the dish is so perfect. “The green peppers are where the flavor’s at,” she offered. “There’s no secret. We just try to keep things plain-jane.

Red Drum - Red Drum’s use of crisp shiitake slivers beats out Hominy Grill’s button mushrooms. Red Drum also gets points for Applewood smoked bacon, tomato butter sauce, peppers, red onions, plus their wise use of Anson Mills coarse ground grits

Nana's Take outIt serves big, juicy shrimp that have been deveined, tailed and perfectly cooked, smothered in a luscious brown sauce spiked with yellow, red and orange peppers, bacon and sausage.

The Swamp Fox, in the Francis Marion Hotel - The Swamp Fox prepares an award-winning version of shrimp and grits that comes in a rarely-seen white lobster-based gravy, topped with orange peppers, scallions and chunks of smoky Tasso ham. The base is Adluh grits,

http://www.wsj.com/a...rits-1433443436

#65 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,925 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

I'm gonna be in Charleston this weekend.  obviously Husk and McCrady's are old faves.  any other musts?  Fig?

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#66 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,562 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

Is a walk in brunch at Husk possible?

Why not mayo?

#67 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,039 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

we called that day and got a brunch reservation or walked in and did it.. And I remember them saying we were fortunate... Check out Union Provisions. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#68 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,925 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

Had two phenomenal meals at McCrady's btw.  Sense of time and place, no execution missteps.  all the seafood was terrific. Significantly better than my prior meals there over the years.

Husk is still basically useless for a solo diner.

#69 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,498 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:34 PM

Nice mention in the NY Times of The Watch Rooftop Kitchen & Spirits, a new rooftop restaurant in the new hotel The Restoration.  75 Wentworth Street, at King.

Chad Anderson, the chef, has concocted a menu that blends Lowcountry fare and international dishes aimed at tourists who need a break from (or may balk at) the hearty local cuisine. You could order the falafel, ratatouille or Maine lobster roll. Better, turn to the Lowcountry staples, which even locals may find intriguing as many are refreshed with a creative twist.

“It’s a challenge putting my own spin on classic Lowcountry dishes because they’re often just perfect the way they are,” Mr. Anderson said. “However, I feel that there is always room for an inspired chef to make their mark with a particular dish by bending the rules a little.”

The hush puppies are accompanied by pimento cheese and a house-made pepper jelly (best consumed all together). Deviled eggs are topped by strips of unctuous thick-cut bacon. And then there is the crispy chicken skin, mingling in a bowl with bold blue cheese, fried scallions and hot sauce, offering a textural sensation on the palate and flavor strata of spicy, sour, salt and umami all in one bite. Who needs the actual meat when you’ve got this much flavor in one bowl?

http://www.nytimes.c...en-spirits.html

#70 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,498 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

The NY Times has an article about the planned / executed gentrification of an uptown Charleston neighborhood. This area is about a mile and a half west of downtown, and characterized by older warehouses, abandoned factories, car repair, and other industrial uses.  Under I-26, between the rivers. in an area that had port facilities, etc. Much of that has moved upriver or  across the river.

A New York City developer began buying property at very low prices, and assembled about 20 parcels. Which he used to create ultra modern work space for the tech companies in Charleston. Several moved in, attracted by the space, parking, etc and real estate prices soared. Some properties are changing hands at 10x what they paid for the original sites.

Yoga, cafe space, even a restaurant incubator are offered.

https://www.nytimes....on=Business Day

#71 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,498 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:40 AM

Washington Post has a short look at Charleston.by John Briley. If you could eat just three meals...

Liked Macintosh (479B King Street) where multiple James Beard nominee  Jeremiah Bacon holds forth.

Bacon (the man) sources locally as much as possible — for example, in starters such as Toragashi cheddar sausage with whole-grain mustard, and the house-made ricotta gnudi, with red pepper, eggplant, holy basil and almond, and the popular seared grouper entree with rainbow chard, bagna cauda, snap peas and potato

Liked Middleton Place, with its homage to Edna Lewis, its local cuisine, and what is described as its unflinching exhibits of Charleston's history with slavery.

Liked Husk for breakfast, with its cocktail selections, grits, sausages, etc.  He mentions a cheeseburger, which looks great, for a late brunch meal.

https://www.washingt...bbb9_story.html

#72 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,925 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

The cheeseburger is very good but there is too much else at Husk to eat.