MF Old

#17 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

had lunch the other day at Little Moir's. Little has changed.  Which is good.

Had a grouper fish sandwich and a glass of white wine.filter in Very enjoyable. These people must mint money.  I called around 12.15, they were slammed. Showed up around 1, they had a few tables, but were still 75% filled after 2pm. By then the after work / happy hour crowd starts to filter in.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#18 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:16 AM

Lunch there last Thursday.

The fish roll tuna (long piece of ahi tuna in a lightly crisped wrapper.  Iced tea, $17 before tip.  Nice place.

#19 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:16 AM

Lunch last week.  The most ethereal roasted red pepper, shrimp and crab soup. This was an absolutely wonderful dish. $9

The taste remained with me for hours.

If they added chunks of sausage or pulled pork, it would have been food for the angels

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,902 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:18 AM

This thread is continuing to make me very hungry.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:04 AM

Glad to hear it is still solid. Haven't been since we moved down here.
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#22 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:42 PM

Another nice lunch at Little Moir's.  I was a little surprised it was about 3/4 filled at 3pm on a Friday afternoon.  Kitchen was going full blast (literally).

There's a daily lunch menu and a partly different dinner menu. They make a point of recycling and buying only recycled paper, by the way.

Several interesting specials -

--Fried tuna and basil rolls

--Crab eggrolls with sun dried tomatoes and zucchini

--Mussel saute in a smoked caramelized onion sherry cream sauce

--Hawaiian fried Brussel sprouts with onion garlic pineapple honey chili sauce (whew!)

--Lump crab and potato cake over pineapple melon slaw

--Cobia cerviche cucumber apple jicama coconut peppers (they had sold out of this)

--Buffalo pork fries tossed with house wing sauce and Gorgonzola (this was my alternate choice)

They had tilefish up until the customer before us. He got the last one. The golden tile and snapper were $16. Also wahoo, salmon, tuna, grouper. Served many ways, if you have something in mind, just ask.  You can have sweet potato crusted fish, pecan fish, plantains and peanuts (that's new), jalapeno with melon, portabella, etc. Penne pasta, served with several vegetables blue cheese, and shrimp / pork.

Dee had the sweet potato mahi, which was wonderfully presented, perfectly cooked, and served on a bed of greens and vinaigrette. Big piece. I went in an atypical direction, and chose the Friday special plate. Curry grilled pork tenderloin, mixed nut panko shrimp served over a bed of ramen and peppers.  Our server suggested the pork as "medium" which raised my alarms. Medium? Our chef prefers to present it that way.

Bzzzzzzz. Came out medium, cooked all the way through, a few steps short of jerky. The shrimp was excellent, crusty and perfectly cooked, with a deeply and complex flavored ramen. Since we were at the pass, I took the opportunity to ask the chef why he would recommend medium.  Hummmmmmm.  (Pause) Well, we sometimes have bigger pieces, and people don't like red pork. If you wanted the pork seared or red, we'd be happy to do that. No offer to comp or discount, though.

I've been on a run of wonderful meals here over the years, and these guys are always top notch. They hustle, they innovate, and they take a lot of pride in their work. I'll let this one pass.

----------------

This restaurant must have a thirty inch natural gas pipe into the kitchen. Six burners with flames eight inches high, three fryolators, a flat top, a large salamander, and a ten foot prep counter.  These people really know their stuff.

#23 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:31 PM

Recent dinner at Little Moir's. Good, but not outstanding.  Table of six, which may have changed the usual high quality a bit.

The new cornmeal panko chile battered pork fries served over mixed greens were very good. This is a home run item, and seemingly easy to prepare. Strips of marinated pork, deep fried, served with a honey mustard over spicy Asian greens. Nice portion, a little pricey at $12.50 for what you get.

We all had fish, done several ways. At LM, the menu lists the fish of the day(yesterday had wahoo, dolphin, grouper, mutton snapper, yellowtail, cod) and choice of cooking style (grilled, sauteed, deep fried, etc). Then you have the choice of preparations, such as panko or sweet potato crusted, gluten free,  and a choice of various presentations, such as on a bed of Asian greens, over rice, etc. Sounds complicated, but the menu is easy to work once you understand the process. LM also asks how you would like your fish done, rare, medium well, etc.

Mutton snapper with horseradish was good, but that diner didn't detect any horseradish.

Mutton fish grilled with lemon and butter was very good. Liked that a lot. Same greens and radishes as were under the pork fries.

Wahoo was crusty and rare in the center, that diner pronounced it wonderful.

Dolphin medium rare came out extremely rare, and was sent back. Diner pronounced it OK afterwards. The restaurant took the plate, and returned a new plate with the fries and vegetables while the fish was updated.

Good desserts, six people split three items.

Couple of beers, glasses of wine, etc worked out to about $50 a head, quite reasonable.

#24 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:10 PM

Another dinner at Little Moir's.  Fine, as usual.

I had their Monday night special, which was cobia, grilled, with pineapple shreds. Mashed potato and coconut.  Liked this a lot, had the mouth feel of polenta.

Dee had an unusual soup. Artichoke, fish, and banana, with Jamaican peppers. Doubtful, but this was a wonderful soup. Chunks of fish, chopped artichokes, and plenty of banana rounds. Pureed a little bit

#25 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

Dinner the other night, on our way back from NJ.   We were seated in the bar section, which is the next store over from the restaurant section.Opens up to the restaurant in the front and back, but you don't see the fiery furnace.  Different vibe, and this was later in the evening, which may draw a different crowd. By 8pm, they're out of many items on the daily menu. It looks like an FBI report, with half the text redacted.

I went off my usual, and ordered the mussels in red hot sauce. Mussels, peppers, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, wine, served in a large bowl. Four large pieces of grilled and lightly buttered bread.  Messy as hell, but wonderful.  LM has upgraded its beer program, with Ballast Point, Shipyard, Victory, Stone, etc represented on the tap handles. Along with locals like Tequesta, Cigar City, Sailfish, etc.

Dee had a wonderful scallops and shrimp prep in a white wine butter sauce over cappelini. Peppers, bacon, onions, garlic, basil, the whole kitchen garden. A thinner broth, no visible cream or thickener.  We took half of it home with us. $20 for each of the entrees.

The kitchen closes at 9pm, but the bar and some light food remain available. We chatted with a woman who sat next to us. Big red wine, pasta with swordfish, chocolate cake. "I'd like the chicken soup to go"  So we had to ask.  "My husband hasn't been feeling well, so I thought he'd like this...."

Meanwhile, two women dripping jewelry and wedding bands were trying hard to pick up three guys farther down the bar. The guys didn't seem to be interested in them, more in the fish topped with crisped mashed potatoes.

Never a dull moment, and the place was doing just fine at 9pm on an early week evening

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,902 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:04 AM

The guys didn't seem to be interested in them, more in the fish topped with crisped mashed potatoes.

There ARE priorities.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

Food Shack now has a catering trailer,business is very good.

http://www.mypalmbea...j7pG2xRF1QlVVP/

#28 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:23 PM

Lunch today over at Left-Overs, the little sister of Little Mohr's.  On the northeastern corner of Military Trail and University Place in Abacoa, Jupiter.

Panko crusted dolphin, which was excellent. Absolutely no different than the same product served at the other location,  I had the basil wrapped tuna in a deep fried panko crust.  Liked this a lot. A little heavier than I recall, but fine taste.  Good craft beer offering, prob 10 beers on tap.

Left overs is in Abacoa, a planned community on the western edge of Jupiter.  A campus of Florida Atlantic University is embedded here, as is a local ball field, and the Max Planck institute.  Several small corporate parks, often combined with upscale strip malls.  Many residential communities, very diverse for Florida.  The idea is you should be able to walk to many destinations or ride your bike. Which gets difficult with ten lane roads to cross, etc. Florida doesn't like Las Vegas style pedestrian bridges, but we may be in need of them.

Tiger Woods' infamous motor vehicle situation was in front of Indian Creek, which is on the northern edge of Abacoa. He lives nearby, and his restaurant is across the street from Little Moir's original location.

http://www.littlemoi...leftovers-cafe/

#29 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

Nice write up on the tricked out Food Truck.  Fully equipped kitchen, I understand it was used as part of the relief efforts for the recent Hurricane Irma recovery process.

http://www.palmbeach...j7pG2xRF1QlVVP/

#30 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:29 PM

Pleasant dinner at Little Moir's last night.  Had the cobia wrapped in bacon, served over wilted greens and shaved Gouda, with a few shaved radishes and red onions.  Nice colors on the plate.

The cobia was apparently broiled, then wrapped in a woven blanket of bacon and passed under the grill for a  moment.  Exceptionally tasty, and a very large piece.  My sister had the clams in red sauce.  Lots of garlic, coconut, chili, maybe some white wine, tomatoes. Huge bowl, should have been served with a side of bread.

Had a 22 oz Tequests Brewing Kolsch. 

I was surprised they were not especially busy.  Party of five, seated immediately. There were a few empty tables in the grill room all evening.  I asked about it, and our server said it's been hit or miss.  Weekends are always a mess, weekdays can be light.  Once the season begins in earnest, after New Year's, they'll be slammed from 11 am to 9 pm. Every day