4 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Paul and I had dinner here last night with little ms foodie and tall drink of water. The plan was to have oysters at Taylor Shellfish first and then have dinner at Terra Plata. We had gone to the Gaugin exhibit first so we got up to Capitol Hill around around 7:30. Taylor only has beer and wine and we wanted a cocktail so we decided to have a cocktail at Terra Plata, go next door for oysters, and be back to Terra Plata in time for our 9:15 reservation at Terra Plata.

We each ordered a cocktail off their menu. Mine was a "sarsaparilla sazerac" which was oddly bitter and tasted mostly of cinnamon. I took a few sips but couldn't finish it. I then ordered a martini which was perfectly made. I was pleased to see that she took the sazerac off the bill. Luckily little ms foodie thought to check out what time Taylor closes - the close at 7 PM during the week so no oysters for us. We decided to order a martini and some nibbles at Terra Plata and then move to the table. We had the house made potato chips and the roasted shisito peppers. Both were excellent. And both were consumed before our cocktails came. Our server finally returned to apologize for the delay - which was due to the fact they had run out of dry vermouth! By this time our table was ready so we moved there and ordered a round of Manhattans. Sweet vermouth they had!

Here are the dishes we shared:
Marrow bones - they were huge, around 8 inches long and cut lengthwise. They needed salt and the marrow was a little firm for my tastes. I like it when the marrow closest to the bone is all melty.

Marinated beets - the description said citrus, pistachio, aged ricotta. I wanted this because the beet, cottage cheese and pistachio salad at The Coterie Room is one of my favorite dishes and I was hoping this would be as good. This was a good salad but nothing I will dream about like the one at Coterie.

Crispy brussels sprouts - they had serrano ham and maple syrup which was surprisingly good. I think it countered the bitter of the brussels sprouts perfectly.

Roasted sunchokes - I thought they were too crunchy and there was too much oil on them.

Roast pig - this was a nicely braised piece of pork with clams, chorizo and topped with chicharrón. little ms foodie loved the crunchiness of the chicharrón and I should have tried this first because it was soggy by the time I got to it.

Veal Breast - very good and very rich. The jus served with it was full of wonderful mushroom flavor.

Cassoulet - I'm sad to say that this was the dud of the night. The flavor was overwhelmed by cinnamon. That's all we could taste.

I'm normally not a dessert fan but was intrigued by the malted, salted, toffee ice cream and had to try it. They had only enough for one scoop so the they substituted cardamom for the second scoop. Both were really good.

The space is great and our dinner server was charming but that's not enough of a draw to get me to come back when there are places like The Coterie Room, Boat Street and Book Bindery instead.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#2 croseattle

croseattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Went to Terra Plata last night for Alex's birthday dinner.

I made sure to reread Lauren's review before we left and was determined not to order the sazarac or the cassoulet. :) I needn't have worried, since the cassoulet was not even on the menu.

We started the evening off with drinks - of course. I had the Martinez (made with Old Tom) and Alex, the Monk's Shadow. Both were well-made, although the drinks did take a while to come out.

We shared the following:

Blistered Shisito Peppers - I felt like the peppers were not super flavorful and ended up being mainly a vehicle for the aioli. They were okay, but I expected more from them.

Lemon Thyme Potato Soup - SO GOOD. I liked the chunky potato texture and the lemon really lit up the soup and made it something special. It was a special of the day, so I don't know if it's in regular rotation, but if it is, I highly recommend.

Cappelletti (pictured below) [Rouge de tomme squash, hazelnuts, sage, lemon, parmesan] - Also super delicous. Delicate and perfectly seasoned and not at all overly rich. The lemon highlights made it a nice transition from the soup as well.

Roast Pig [chorizo, clams, smoked paprika, bay scented potato, chicharrón] - A solid dish, but I feel like ours was missing the chicharrón. The pork shoulder and (house made!) chorizo were quite good and our server was kind enough to bring some bread for us to sop up the jus which we made no bones about doing.

We were going to skip on dessert but our server brought the birthday boy a butterscotch pudding anyhow, which was nice, but the pudding itself was a little grainy. The chocolate cookies on the side and the brittle topping were very good though.

Overall, it was, like Lauren said, a nice space (walking distance for us) and our server was very good. The only disappointing dish was the peppers, one that Lauren liked quite a bit, so I am thinking that maybe consistency is an issue? Because otherwise our meal was quite delicious and worth repeat business.

Posted Image

#3 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Roast Pig [chorizo, clams, smoked paprika, bay scented potato, chicharrón] - A solid dish, but I feel like ours was missing the chicharrón.
The only disappointing dish was the peppers, one that Lauren liked quite a bit, so I am thinking that maybe consistency is an issue? Because otherwise our meal was quite delicious and worth repeat business.

If you were like me and waited to try the pig, your chicharrón may have gotten soggy too, they did become almost undistinguishable from the rest of the dish.

One thing about peppers is their taste can vary from batch to batch. Although I would think that they'd be getting hotter as the weeks go on.

That lemon thyme potato soup sounds great.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#4 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

We met some friends here for brunch on Sunday. It was only their second brunch service on their newly opened rooftop deck. I felt so sorry for the servers! It was blisteringly hot and they have to wear all black! There was plenty of sweating going on.

We all ordered either bloody mary's or mimosa-type drinks. I was excited because the blood mary uses house made tomato juice. Unfortunately that seemed to be all that was used because it had now kick whatsoever. There was also no garnish, which was unexpected. Basically a bland drink.

There were five of us at brunch. Three people ordered the roast pork hash. None of them liked it very well - they said it was boring. One person ordered greek baked eggs, which he liked his a lot. I had the manchego biscuits with chorizo gravy and chicharrón. It had so much potential but there was just something off about the dish. I kept tasting first the sauce and then the biscuit to try and identify what was the problem. The only thing I came up with was an odd sour flavor. All of the dishes came with poached eggs and all were served VERY soft. I like a soft poached egg but the whites on these were not cooked.

The service was great and the location was perfect. Too bad the food didn't match up to it.

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

We met some friends here for brunch on Sunday. It was only their second brunch service on their newly opened rooftop deck. I felt so sorry for the servers! It was blisteringly hot and they have to wear all black! There was plenty of sweating going on.

We all ordered either bloody mary's or mimosa-type drinks. I was excited because the blood mary uses house made tomato juice. Unfortunately that seemed to be all that was used because it had now kick whatsoever. There was also no garnish, which was unexpected. Basically a bland drink.

There were five of us at brunch. Three people ordered the roast pork hash. None of them liked it very well - they said it was boring. One person ordered greek baked eggs, which he liked his a lot. I had the manchego biscuits with chorizo gravy and chicharrón. It had so much potential but there was just something off about the dish. I kept tasting first the sauce and then the biscuit to try and identify what was the problem. The only thing I came up with was an odd sour flavor. All of the dishes came with poached eggs and all were served VERY soft. I like a soft poached egg but the whites on these were not cooked.

The service was great and the location was perfect. Too bad the food didn't match up to it.

That's very disappointing. One common thread in these problems is the lack of discernible taste. As if the chef in charge wasn't sampling items before they went out, checking the work, etc. Some places have a second line or third line crew working weekend mornings, making supervision and learning all the more essential.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.