398 replies to this topic

#391 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

chang just opened something in bethesda that looks great to me but I haven't been.

#392 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

I love both Little Serow and Bad Saint. If I had to guess I would say the line/wait at Bad Saint would likely be longer then Little Serow. Only because Bad Saint is the hot restaurant at moment. Though even with Little Serow I suspect it's all depends on the day you are visiting.
Also you may want to consider Himitsu.

#393 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,249 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

I ate at Little Serow a couple of years ago, maybe 2015? I liked it okay, but found too many elements repeated from one dish to another. So the food got kind of boring after a while. I went on a Thursday, iirc, and got there about 30 minutes after it opened. I was seated at the counter almost immediately, but I was a single. IDK how it might work for a group.

Butter is a little like money and alcohol. It doesn't solve any problems but may help smooth over a few. -- voyager, 13 October 2017 - 9:49 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#394 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:59 PM

Go to Barcelona early. Like very early. Panda Gourmet. Yes for Bad Saint. Little Serow still busy. Ive heard a good recommendation for Thai Crossing. Havent been. Im in Vilnius. The internet is amazing.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#395 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

Hmmm. . . Thai Crossing (X-ing)seems oh so much more appealing! I did some research, and the food is likely southern Thai as opposed to the Isaan of Little Serow (why is it that most popular Thai restaurants, especially those run by farangs, are Isaan-influenced or based? Little Serow, Pok Pok for the farang ones, Lotus of Siam. . . speaking of, did anyone else notice LoS is closed until further notice? The roof collapsed due to heavy rains. No re-opening date in sight)

I just have to figure out if we can do a Friday night dinner. I want fish, and they only do fish on Fridays (Wednesdays are vegetarian nights and while some fish is used on those nights, I'm hoping for a whole fish dish).

Bad Saint is still on my list, though timing and interest from other parties will determine if I can go.

Himitsu sounds interesting, but if I can find more everyday Japanese, I'd prefer that. i miss it. Sushi Taro has donburi, so it's a maybe. 

Barcelona on the list for early dinner! I'm really hoping family commitments don't interfere will all my good eating. All my plans could be for naught!

#396 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

this farang says little serrow is a far superior restaurant.

#397 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:43 PM

Have you been to both? Was there anything in particular you thought wasn't very good about the food at Thai X-ing?

In terms of dishes, of some of the most well known dishes from each area, at least of the ones my dad used to make, Southern Thai dishes are some of my favourites while few if any Isaan dishes are. Plus Southern Thai do fish better that Isaan (that's an uneducated statement, but I'm sticking to it). We'll see. We really only have three, maybe four dinners to ourselves for the week, if that. So our decisions will more than likely be based on where we are at the time and what's open.

#398 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

it was a long time ago, but I had a few meals at thai x-ing in 2009 and 2010, when it was in a different location and you were basically eating in his home. everything was a lot better than the typical american thai restaurant, but I don't think it was any better than sri or ayada. I think little serrow (a few meals over the last few years) is/was operating at an entirely different level and is much better than anything I've had at sri or ayada.

also I don't know anything about southern thai food now and knew less then and really like issan food, and the fact that you can get beer and wine at little serrow probably skews this a little.

if you do go to little serrow there are people who stop in just after they open to make a reservation for later, which may be easier than waiting in line to eat when they open if you're going to be in the area anyways. the used bookstore at 20th and P was still good last time I was there. the phillips collection is always worthwhile, even if it won't help you wait for little serrow.

#399 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,366 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:09 AM

Tom Sietsma offers his top ten, based on cooking, service, and distinctive character.

Sfoglina
Salt Line
ChiKo
Tiger Fork
Bad Saint
Minibar
Metier
Himitsu
Pineapple & Pearls
Inn at Little Washington

https://www.washingt...m=.1833890b2963
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli