410 replies to this topic

#406 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

If you find yourself in Adams Morgan, my buddy Chris's new cocktail/food place is opening this week.  The Green Zone will feature cocktails and food with a Middle Eastern focus, and it's open late, with food served almost until closing time.

The Green Zone

The former World Bank contractor, who is half Iraqi and well traveled in the region, assembled a menu of classic and original libations and bar snacks like falafel; mana'ish (flatbread) with a variety of toppings; chicken wings brightened by lemon and za'tar seasoning; and fries dusted in hot pepper, coriander, and garlic. Chef Gustavo Fuentes, who has a background in cooking Lebanese food, is leading the kitchen.

It's probably a good thing Significant Eater and I no longer do the commute to DC, as our apartment was literally right up the block from The Green Zone.

#407 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

Pretty unimpressive meal at the dabney Saturday night

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#408 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:41 PM

Pretty unimpressive meal at the dabney Saturday night or as my wife said of a scallop crudo Whit so much fresh red Chile it annihilated the dish "this is fucked up exactly the way you'd fuck it up".

Not bad, but just not noteworthy absent chicken fried blowfish tails which were great. Our bartender/server made me want to ask her to please stop talking.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#409 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,718 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:35 PM

If you find yourself in Adams Morgan, my buddy Chris's new cocktail/food place is opening this week.  The Green Zone will feature cocktails and food with a Middle Eastern focus, and it's open late, with food served almost until closing time.

The Green Zone

The former World Bank contractor, who is half Iraqi and well traveled in the region, assembled a menu of classic and original libations and bar snacks like falafel; mana'ish (flatbread) with a variety of toppings; chicken wings brightened by lemon and za'tar seasoning; and fries dusted in hot pepper, coriander, and garlic. Chef Gustavo Fuentes, who has a background in cooking Lebanese food, is leading the kitchen.

It's probably a good thing Significant Eater and I no longer do the commute to DC, as our apartment was literally right up the block from The Green Zone.

oh damn, i meant to try this while i was down there

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#410 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:43 AM

Are we talking restaurants?

#411 joethefoodie

joethefoodie