1472 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 05:15 PM

Memo to diary. Find time to be shocked at the possibility that Bonds and Giambi have used steroids. Afternoon of February 7 looks good.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 05:32 PM

What's amazing to me is how many people seem not to care. Sure, it's not a surprise that guys who bulk up like that have used drugs. But isn't this cheating? Shouldn't we care that these guys, our recreational heroes, are cheats?
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 05:45 PM

As opposed to everyone else who's not a cheat?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,537 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 05:52 PM

When you consider how prevalent the use of the drugs is it kinda makes Pete Rose's gambling look like small stuff. Not that he's right, but he did get punished. So far, they haven't been. Where's Judge Landis when baseball needs him?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#5 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,332 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:05 PM

When you consider how prevalent the use of the drugs is it kinda makes Pete Rose's gambling look like small stuff. Not that he's right, but he did get punished. So far, they haven't been. Where's Judge Landis when baseball needs him?

Excellent point but the fact is that drug use has never been high on MLB radar screen because it was always believed to not have an impact on the integrity of each game, unlike gambling. Clearly, steroid use does have such an effect on the integrity of the game so these guys should get banished.

Another difference is that Rose was booted based on things done while a manager and not while as a member of the MLB Players Association which may be the most powerful union in the US. You can be sure that no matter what happens, the PA will appeal.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:20 PM

I find it hard to get angry with the guys because I have the strong impression (not based on evidence, so I am open to being told I'm wrong) that it's been an everyday part of the game for a long time, and everyone has been turning a blind eye to it. I am not going to single out Giambi as a bad guy unless I'm convinced there aren't bad guys all over the place. Sammy Sosa? Boy, hasn't he trimmed down recently? Mark McGwire? Am I just too cynical?
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#7 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:26 PM

It's also increasingly apparent that every professional cyclist from Armstrong down uses dope.

I too find it hard to get worked up about it. What’s the difference between training at altitude to increase natural erythropoietin levels and hence red blood cell count and injecting it to achieve the same thing?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#8 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,332 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:35 PM

Because it is cheating?

Ambrose Bierce

#9 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:39 PM

Sure, but should it be? If everyone is doing it, what difference does it make?

#10 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,537 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:40 PM

It's also increasingly apparent that every professional cyclist from Armstrong down uses dope.

Are you sure about Armstrong? Do you think he gets a free pass because of the cancer?

Then that happened.

#11 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,537 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:41 PM

I don't know about you, but my momma never bought it when I tried the all the other kids are doing it gambit.

Then that happened.

#12 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,332 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:47 PM

But what about players that choose not to do it? Aren't they at a disadvantage?

Ambrose Bierce

#13 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:47 PM

You can be purist about "cheating", of course. If it's against the rules, it's cheating. But in many sports there are practices which, while against the rules, go on all the time without anyone getting especially bothered, as long as it's not too obvious. Or, if you prefer, take jaywalking. I understand it's against the law in New York City. If you catch Jason Giambi jaywalking, give him hell.
Elect-a-lujah

#14 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 08:05 PM

Are you sure about Armstrong? Do you think he gets a free pass because of the cancer?

One of his advisors is Michele Ferrari who is currently on trial for supplying drugs to other cyclists. He has also tested positive for steroids though he claimed it was due to the use of a legal skin cream, an excuse that the relevant bodies accepted.

#15 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 08:08 PM

But what about players that choose not to do it? Aren't they at a disadvantage?

Yes, but that's their choice.