435 replies to this topic

#16 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Below .500, chicken'n'beer-swillin' Red Sox calls for ouster of sarcastic, egomaniacal manager. Baseball doesn't get better.

#17 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

NY Daily News

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine may be facing mutiny in Boston led by Adrian Gonzalez, Dustin Pedroia: report

For Yankees fans it doesn't get much better than this. The Yanks are sitting in first place and the Red Sox, nearly out-of-contention, have turned into Team Turmoil.

Boston ownership is apparently in the midst of trying to put down a mutiny by players against manager Bobby Valentine.

According to a report by Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday, Red Sox players complained to ownership about Valentine and it prompted a meeting before the Sox played the Yankees on July 26.

First baseman Adrian Gonzalez sent a text message to ownership on behalf of several players about Valentine, the former Mets manager, the report said. Chief among the complaints was his decision to leave starting pitcher Jon Lester in a game on July 22 where he allowed 11 runs to the Toronto Blue Jays. The meeting was held at the team hotel and was confirmed to Yahoo! by GM Ben Cherington and to reporters in Baltimore Tuesday night by Gonzalez. Neither discussed its content.

Eight days later both Cherington and ownership voiced their support of Valentine - at least for the remainder of the season.

According to the report, Gonzalez and Dustin Pedroia were the players who voiced were most outspoken against Valentine at the meeting but not all players attended it. It said that some players expressed that they no longer wanted to play for Valentine.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...4#ixzz23cY75I6Y

I saw this coming from miles and miles away. He's pulling the same shit he did in Texas and with the Mets and it doesn't wear well. He might be able to get away with this stuff in a small market town with triple A players with no egos. In Boston?

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

Yankee fans, say a prayer every night that Boston management gives Valentine another year because they don't want to admit they made a mistake. Year 2 of the Valentine Era will be even better. The players will come to spring training already convinced that he's a prick. It will go downhill rapidly from that point.

Schaedenfreude deluxe.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#18 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

Here's how a Red Sox fan sees it (Jason Gay, WSJ):

When the Red Sox texted ownership that they didn't like Bobby Valentine, did they text from their treehouse, or their fort?

Because we can spread the blame around. :) Having chased Terry Francona out of town, the big poo-bahs of the clubhouse now want to get rid of Valentine. Now Valentine is infinitely less likeable than Francona, and may have brought much of this on himself, but he's not the reason they're terrible. They were terrible last season.

Sports radio this morning was pondering, should we blame Valentine, the players, or ownership?

Easy: "Yes."

#19 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

The simple answer is their starting pitching has given out and the bullpen has been erractic - both were predictable. It was also predictable that Valentine wouldn't help the situation.

#20 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Right. Why didn't Pedroia and Gonzalez demand that Beckett and Lester get fired? (I know, contracts...)

If they don't make the playoffs, which they won't, is this is the end of Little Bobby?

I guess we'd better enjoy it while we can.

#21 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Right. Why didn't Pedroia and Gonzalez demand that Beckett and Lester get fired? (I know, contracts...)

If they don't make the playoffs, which they won't, is this is the end of Little Bobby?

I guess we'd better enjoy it while we can.

It's the end of BobbyV unless they get to the ALCS. If they win the play-in game and lose to Yankees in the ALDS, BV will be lucky to last ten minutes after the last out.

#22 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

My bet is that they keep him on into next year. Then they'll fire him in midseason. This is going to get much uglier before it gets better.

:)
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#23 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

They're barely in contention for the wild card. And they're playing the Yankees three times this weekend. :D

#24 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Boston Herald dutifully relays the Red Sox version: just one of those boring old routine meetings where ownership invites players to castigate themselves for their poor performances. Nothing to see.

#25 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Got Melky? More like Got Testosterone.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#26 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:21 AM

Posted Image

Bartolo, say it ain't so.

#27 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:18 AM

Ah, it's a pity, but like I've said previously, knock me down with a feather.

"Oh, I have had a monkey gland injection."

Three out of the five players suspended this year come from guess where? I have a few other suspicions, but it's not for me to lay them out here. The "PEDs" era isn't remotely over; use is rife; and pretending otherwise is absurd.

#28 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Skip Bayless thinks Derek Jeter is using. That pretty much sums up where MLB is at right now.

#29 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

It sums up why Skip Bayless is a schmuck. His brother Rick is the creepiest chef on TV.

#30 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Whoa, really? #YouLearnSomethingNew...