Starter
Pork rillettes served with toasted poilane and conichons

Main
Shoulder of Mutton stuffed with anchovies and capers
Roast potatoes
French beans
Roasted squash

Dessert
Something light, maybe elderflower jelly?

Cheese
Flower Marie
Epoisse
Beenleigh Blue
Montgomery cheddar

never made rillettes before and am getting a bit nervous about it.

everything turned out well. no pictures I am afraid as no-one had the right technology. Rillettes were very rich and I think I served each person about 3 portions. modifications to menu were:

Homemade pork scratchings - I think Robin ate the whole bowl before the others had turned up!

veg - creamed spinach and glazed carrots from Meat.

Plum crumble with clotted cream (not quite the light dessert I had intended!).
Yes, I would not recommend smell, touch or taste when it comes to old cock selection. Opinions differ though. Adam 2/3/05

#32 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:18 AM

OK, had people over. Final menu was:

Thai fish cakes with panko crust

Porbeagle shark steaks wrapped in pandanus, flavoured with fresh tumeric and lime juice

Porbeagle shark steak Malaysian style sate

Gado gado with tea eggs

Green papaya salad

Australian Red Snapper baked in banana leaves with curry paste and pea egg plants

Sambal cuttlefish

Red curry of clams (actually kaki due to lack of coriander roots)

Fish head curry

Rice

Roast pineapple flavoured with rum and tonka beans, served with coconut cream freshly toasted coconut and shaved jaggery,

Most popular dish was the sambal cuttlefish. Most interesting ingredient was the shark - looked almost like and had the same texture as pink veal. Excellent eating too.

Bizarrely I found the correct type of betel leaves at a Thai food store, presented these at the table fo people to wrap food with and eat if they wished.

pictures in the future

#33 Ms J

Ms J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:02 AM

Plum crumble with clotted cream sounds amazing. :D

I'm looking forward to Adam's pictures of his SE Asian feast, not the least because I've never heard of Porbeagle shark.
Thieves, arsonists and deserters.

#34 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:35 AM

I'm looking forward to Adam's pictures of his SE Asian feast, not the least because I've never heard of Porbeagle shark.

Sharks in Canada

#35 Ms J

Ms J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:45 AM

It's an Atlantic shark - no wonder I'm not familiar with it. :D

#36 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:58 AM

It's an Atlantic shark - no wonder I'm not familiar with it. :D

Porbeagles occur on both sides of the Atlantic, and in the south Pacific and Indian Oceans.

In the western North Atlantic it can be found from Raleigh, Newfoundland at its northernmost range to the Gulf of St. Lawrence, the Scotian Shelf, the Bay of Fundy and the Gulf of Maine to New Jersey and perhaps to South Carolina. Off Nova Scotia the porbeagle is generally found in waters less than 14 degrees Celsius.

Also on the Other side as well. So no excuses.

#37 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 01:24 PM

Adam -
How can I get reservations? Thanks.

#38 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 02:27 PM

Mostly another around pink book (Thompson’s Thai Food)

Green Peppercorn Relish with crisped pork belly
Salmon Lon with home-made semi cured fish

Served with boiled vegetables: baby corn and snake beans; raw vegetables: romain leaves, green tomatoes, pomelo, green mango and quick pickles: baby eggplants in miso, baby peppers with thai basil;

Steamed Rice

Galangal Soup with chicken and oyster mushrooms

BBQed spareribs and pork belly (marinated overnight in lemongrass and thai oyster sauce)

Sprinkled with brown sugar and grilled pineapple wedges with banana ice cream.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#39 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:12 PM

Appetizers:
Posted Image
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#40 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:21 PM

No cheese?  :D

Wilfrid, for some reason no-one at my parties has ever had room for both cheese and dessert. Maybe I'm organising my menus poorly. Or inviting the wrong people. I just don't know. :D

Dessert instead of cheese? :D Thanks.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#41 Ms J

Ms J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:29 PM

Good point, Jin. But I like sweet things at the close of a meal.

Helena, thanks for posting that photo. Yum.

#42 Guest_johnboy_*

Guest_johnboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:39 AM

Dinner party on saturday for my Boss and her hubby (yoiks!) and some good friends, both old and new. I had a stinking cold and was so congested that I couldn't taste or smell a damn thing, so most of the cooking was done using the force and David as a taster. Nobody pulled a face so I suppose it must have tasted okay in the end :D

Nibbles: pickled garlic, cornichons, three types of olives

Starters: Mixed game terrine - loin of venison, breast of pheasant, teal, mallard and pigeon, bound with a chicken and pheasant liver mousse, studded with hazelnuts and wild mushrooms. Served with a port reduction sauce (reduced wayyyy too much and consequently stuck to the plate like it was part of the pattern!) Also homemade quince and apple chutney and toasted brioche. The terrine looked fine until I started cutting it but then fell apart a bit; time to sharpen the knives.

Posted Image

Main course: Roast saddle of hare with a celeriac and carrot puree, pithivier of braised leg meat, sauce au poivre. Side dishes of white beans (not enough) and potatoes au gratin (too much cream). A nice dish, the hare didn't taste as gamey as it smelled, pithiviers were fun to make and tasty too.

Posted Image

Dessert: Deconstructed tarte tatin. Poached red apple slices encasing a green apple mousse with caramalised yellow apple pieces at the core. A puff pastry 'halo' and a caramel apple sauce. There should have been some caramel encased hazelnuts served with this, but they had to be made al a minute and I just wasn't feeling up to it. Also apologies for the blurryness of this picture, I think the photographer was a little pished by this time :D

Posted Image

A great evening and as always the company was far superior to the food.

#43 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:54 AM

johnboy, nice stuff indeed.

I like the hazelnuts with pheasant and chicken. I seem to be on a manic hazelnut phase for the past while.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#44 Ms J

Ms J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:08 AM

Also apologies for the blurryness of this picture, I think the photographer was a little pished by this time :D

The green apple martinis, maybe? :D

#45 Guest_johnboy_*

Guest_johnboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:41 PM

Also apologies for the blurryness of this picture, I think the photographer was a little pished by this time  :D

The green apple martinis, maybe? :D

Nope, those were 'health drinks' and couldn't possibly have been bad for you. Full of apple-y goodness :D :D