1422 replies to this topic

#1411 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

(I remember a couple of years ago, when Chambers Street Wines won some "Wine Shop of the Year" award, someone here complained that they couldn't see how a store with such a limited selection of New World wines could be lauded.  But of course, that was exactly the point:  Chambers has a point of view.  If you share it, you know you can shop there reliably.  If you don't, you know to avoid it.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1412 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,427 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Even the best of wine stores realize they must carry what leaves the shelves. And that style chardonnay is still quite popular.

#1413 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

Honestly, none of the wine shops I patronize carries that stuff (at least in more than trace amounts).  They just don't.  They're going for a niche, and they know their market.  Their customer base wouldn't shop there if did carry stuff like that.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1414 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

do you shop anywhere that's closer to park slope than chambers or the place on vanderbilt?

#1415 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,427 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

I live in the wrong neighborhood. :unsure: 

#1416 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

Here, take a look.  This is Chambers Street's entire list of domestic white wines.  If you went in there asking for a big buttery Chardonnay, they'd have to tell you to go somewhere else.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1417 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

where do you shop?

Chambers Street

Vanderbilt Wine Merchants (formerly Passage de la Fleur, before Fifi sold it)

Crush (which is somewhat more catholic than the others -- but still has an obvious tendency)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1418 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,427 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

Just looked at the first page - Crowley and Broadside have more butter than puff pastry.

#1419 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,427 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

where do you shop?

Chambers Street

Vanderbilt Wine Merchants (formerly Passage de la Fleur, before Fifi sold it)

Crush (which is somewhat more catholic than the others -- but still has an obvious tendency)

Crush could be the best wine store in the Metro NYC area and they carry all types of chardonnay.

#1420 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

never heard of crush, thanks.

#1421 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

As I said, Crush is an exception in my preferred list.  I think it's a great wine store, but unlike the other two, there you have to be careful.  In Chambers and Vanderbilt, you could buy practically anything -- and the only risk is that it would taste too manurey.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1422 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:22 PM

I was in Vanderbilt Wine Merchants a couple of months ago, and someone wandered in looking for Big California Wines.  It was almost funny watching the sales clerk trying to be polite in redirecting them to other types of wine when the store was obviously unable to accommodate their preference.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1423 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:50 AM

It occurs to me that, unlike the other two shops on my list, Crush is in Midtown.  In that location, with those rents, it has to try to be more all-things-to-all people (despite the obvious predilections of its employees) than the assertedly niche Chambers and Vanderbilt.

Which probably is why I explore the stocks of Chambers and Vanderbilt, but only buy from Crush on specific recommendations from salespeople who know what I like.  (Also, of course, I rarely happen to be in Crush's neighborhood.)

Bar Loser

MF Old