1433 replies to this topic

#1426 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

Would it make sense to split the wine topic? Otherwise this thread is a nice reference/idea generator. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#1427 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:18 PM

admin post:

I'll do it tonight.

#1428 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

I haven't posted anything here in ages, but I feel like I could run a  full-time catering/event planning after this summer.

Weather has been unusually sunny and warm this year so lots of grilling. I can't remember what-all the menus were but (depending on audience) meats included ribs, dry aged steaks, spatchcocked chicken diavolo, giant dorade stuffed with thyme and lemon, and many many sausages. Notable sides included a proximation of the Zabar's health salad but next time I would make it less in advance (too pickled) and I must give high praise to the Francis Mallmann book. As precious as he can sometimes be, many sauce and side recipes are extremely simple and easily scale to large groups while remaining absolutely delicious. Did the heirloom tomato and avocado salad many times, and the potato salad with red onion and black olives, as well as several of the sauces. 

What else? Memorable desserts included a peach and blueberry crisp with vanilla ice cream, there were brownies, and there were also novelty "revived vintage" German popsicles. There were homemade watermelon paletas. 

Also did middle eastern stuff a couple of times. With the influx of refugees last year it's become much easier to get a lot of things, in particular a couple of bakeries have opened that carry things I've really missed. Some moving conversations with shopkeepers. 

Many gin and tonics with nerdy gins and tonics, but also introduced dark & stormy's, which aren't well known here at all. A few weisswurst breakfasts happened as well, and a kid's birthday party that involved at least ten kids hopped up on chocolate cupcakes running around outside in full costume looking for a treasure chest -- that was filled with water pistols >> huge water fight. 

Whew. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#1429 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

Sounds great!

#1430 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,249 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:14 PM

Working on a picnic menu for next Saturday. All I'm sure about is home-smoked bluefish spread with croutons to spread it on, and guacamole. Oh, and nothing with kimchi, as one of our guests was a Peace Corps volunteer in South Korea and swears she will never go near the stuff again.

Butter is a little like money and alcohol. It doesn't solve any problems but may help smooth over a few. -- voyager, 13 October 2017 - 9:49 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#1431 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,249 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:47 AM

Because I was chicken and worried about it raining on our picnic, first we went for a walk in the woods, then came back and ate dinner at the table. Which was just as well, because it would have been a lot to schlep:

• Marcona almonds (Buon Italia) as a predinner nibble, with guest-provided Côtes de Provence rosé
  • Smoked bluefish spread with Greenmarket-bought croutons
  • Greenmarket-bought salsa roja, guacamole with store-bought tortilla chips
  • Deviled eggs (which every picnic must have or it's not a picnic)
  • French-style potato salad
  • Pickled beet wedges
  • Chicharon de pollo (Dominican restaurant fried chicken chunks)
  • Raw vegetables (all from Greenmarket):
    • Green beans
    • Cucumber spears
    • Crack tomatoes (aka Sungolds)
    • Red, green, and purple bell pepper strips
  • Guest-provided pinot grigio
  • Buckwheat Berry Stripe Cake (Melissa Clark recipe), hot or cold coffee
  • Sheba Honey Wine

I was gratified that many items were eaten up. The raw vegetables, no, but I can easily use them. And not the chicken, which is served as a single portion; the four of us couldn't finish it.

Butter is a little like money and alcohol. It doesn't solve any problems but may help smooth over a few. -- voyager, 13 October 2017 - 9:49 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#1432 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:52 AM

First night Rosh Hashanah dinner for 7 -

Raisin challah, honey, new crop honey crisp apples

Roasted fish head

Rosh Hashanah 7 vegetable soup 

Standing rib roast rubbed with a past of rosemary, thyme, shallots, garlic, and olive oil

Moroccan carrots

Barley and pomegranate salad

Ratatouille

Coconut tart with olive oil lemon curd and local raspberries

Brownies

Assorted wines to drink

Future Legacy Participant.

#1433 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,018 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:31 AM

Want to identify the wines?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1434 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:07 AM

Small dinner for two other couples.     House sparkling or guests' choice.    Melon/prosciutto on picks.   Chinese custard in demi-tasse cups.  

23651534828_1708597a3c_z.jpg

23651534048_5b4b6d7602_z.jpg

Beefsteak tomatoes with tonnato sauce, fried capers.    Guest's "Ivory Burt" Chardonnay.   Worked.

Lamb shoulders braised with thyme and rosemary.   Fingerlings.    Peas in and out of the pod.   Louis Aine Domaine Tavian Brouilly.'13

36793856894_6d085810a3_z.jpg

Triple cream brie, fresh chevre rolled in chive, Achadinha Broncha goat/cows' milk.    Housemade bread, cultured butter from same Anchadinha.  

Comice pear halves baked in butter and sugar, coated in heavy cream for second bake to form pear caramel custard.

Fresh mint tea

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont