38 replies to this topic

#31 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

Sigh. I go to Seoul twice a year at least.  I'll be there in Q3 at some point. At best I get to eat at that Lotte food court. However the Seoul Four Seasons is one of my favorites.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#32 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:23 AM

We almost went last year but had to cancel. Research made me think Michelin is not the way to go, both because it was somehow paid for by the ministry of tourism and was basically a list of fancy places with English menus and not too spicy or scary and because the tasting menus I looked at seemed like they'd be based around the same luxury ingredients you'd get in Japan but not as good.

I think that's right. Some blogs were very dismissive of the Michelin and that seemed well founded.  Coming from London though, there is some space between better than anything in London and worse than Tokyo ..

The BKK michelin was also paid for by the Tourism ministry but seems to have been more successful. I think that the Seoul one was largely directed by one individual who had a particular agenda.

I actually found the food a bit challenging -- which hasn't happened to me for about 20 years. About day 4 I was thinking, maybe I should just get, like, a pizza? But I gave myself a stern talking to and went out and ate some more kimchi.

#33 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,572 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:27 AM

That's the balex we know and love!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#34 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

lets talk about the real scourge - round metal chopsticks.  While wearing a suit...

#35 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,613 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

they're the scourge of our marriage as well, along with their evil cousins, long, thin, rectangular metal chopsticks.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#36 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:34 PM

Sigh. I go to Seoul twice a year at least.  I'll be there in Q3 at some point. At best I get to eat at that Lotte food court. However the Seoul Four Seasons is one of my favorites.

Finally a good cocktail bar in that Four seasons.

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#37 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:40 PM

Samhae jip: So this is where the Momofoku bo ssam gul (i.e. with oysters) came from.  The bo ssam at Momofuku is better...getting a crust and finishing in the oven.  Plus better meat and oysters.  

With that said, place is on a back alley.  No or very little English.  No decor.  bo ssam comes in platters for two or more.  (so I ordered one for two for me.). huge plate of slow-cooked pork belly, a dozen shucked oysters, a huge pile of kimchee.  lettuce wraps.  All you can eat gamjatang cooking on a burner on the side (it's not great gamjatang...go to Donwong or something for that).  Pure happiness.

All that food..and a bottle of soju.  About $25.

#38 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:59 PM

Sigh. I go to Seoul twice a year at least. I'll be there in Q3 at some point. At best I get to eat at that Lotte food court. However the Seoul Four Seasons is one of my favorites.

This is news I can use.

#39 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:20 PM

Sigh. I go to Seoul twice a year at least. I'll be there in Q3 at some point. At best I get to eat at that Lotte food court. However the Seoul Four Seasons is one of my favorites.

This is news I can use.

Charles H.  ask at the concierge where the door is.