516 replies to this topic

#1 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

(Once the name of the restaurant becomes known, Sneak or another mod can change the title of this thread)

Partners are Luke Ostrom and Josh Pickard (of Locanda Verde and The Dutch), and it will not be a brasserie. Chef Andrew will be in charge of the kitchen.

One can only hope that great things come and remain consistent. ;)

380 Lafayette Street (Great Jones Street)

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,992 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

With Il Buco V&A, Acme, Mile End Sandwich, Saxon & Parole, this micro-neighborhood keeps getting...eatier.

#3 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Well, it's the now-closed Chinatown Brasserie place.

It's a bi-level space and part of me thinks that it's going to have to be a major miracle for AC to pull it off.

Not a brasserie and French .... doubtful it's going to be 3-star haute cuisine. They'd have to do an awful lot of covers just to turn a profit...

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,992 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

It's big, yes. Hard to imagine what it's going to be if not a brasserie, but I guess we'll find out.

#5 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

I'd say The NoMad is the high bar. In other words, Carmellini might say, "If Humm can do that, so can I."

Someting like a French version of North End Grill strikes me as more likely: more ambitious than The Dutch, but less risky and better suited to turning tables in a large space.

Something like a French version of The Dutch or Locanda is the low bar (i.e., a brasserie, regardless of what they call it).
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#6 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,904 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

I'd say The NoMad is the high bar. In other words, Carmellini might say, "If Humm can do that, so can I."

Someting like a French version of North End Grill strikes me as more likely: more ambitious than The Dutch, but less risky and better suited to turning tables in a large space.

Something like a French version of The Dutch or Locanda is the low bar (i.e., a brasserie, regardless of what they call it).

I'm trying to figure out what "French versions" of those places would be. I mean, what is "French" these days, anyway? Seriously.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#7 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

I'm trying to figure out what "French versions" of those places would be. I mean, what is "French" these days, anyway? Seriously.

Well, there's a lot of possible variations that could still be called French without flunking the laugh test. When I say "a French version of" X, I'm referring only to things like the price level, formality (or the lack thereof), and the other traditional restaurant amenities. A French Locanda Verde would serve rustic populist French food on bare, closely-spaced tables, practically every entrée would be under $30, etc. -- everything Locanda is for Italian, except that it would be French.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,904 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

Well, thanks for trying to explain it, but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea. I mean, to me "French populist food" is something frozen from Monoprix.

Maybe it's just that I need a vacation.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#9 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Well, thanks for trying to explain it, but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea. I mean, to me "French populist food" is something frozen from Monoprix.

Well, you're right in that sense: like all analogies, it can be pressed only so far, since there really is no such thing as French populist food in the United States.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#10 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Well, you're right in that sense: like all analogies, it can be pressed only so far, since there really is no such thing as French populist food in the United States.

It's an apt analogy though.

Look at the banner that's on the door, then at the version to the left below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

And there you have it folks - the first OWS theme restaurant through a soixante-huitard lens. I assume they'll allow coed tables?

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#12 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm sorry does anyone else find a high-end french restaurant in Nolita adopting a soixante-huitard slogan to be utterly fucking preposterous and more than a bit on the wrong side of offensive?

Are they really that dumb?

I'm gonna open a new american restaurant with a midwestern/german diaspora twist called "Haymarket". Our signature dessert is going to be a bombe

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,764 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

I'm gonna open a new american restaurant with a midwestern/german diaspora twist called "Haymarket". Our signature dessert is going to be a bombe

My restaurant will be named after my grandfather. Not by his Hebrew name that he used for most of his life, nor by his nickname, but by the name he was given at birth - Adolf. Adolf H. Posted Image
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#14 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,904 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'm sorry does anyone else find a high-end french restaurant in Nolita adopting a soixante-huitard slogan to be utterly fucking preposterous and more than a bit on the wrong side of offensive?

Yes, of course.

Are they really that dumb?

Yes, of course. But they probably are counting on their potential audience to be 1) too young to have first-hand memories; 2) too ignorant to know the history; 3) too hip to care.

Maybe Eddie Huang will open a soul food place and call it Emmett Till's.

#15 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Your iPhone reservation app will require people to win several rounds of hangman prior to requesting a table.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.