#1 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Anything delicious in Pittsburgh??

Prefer downtown the area and I thank you :)
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,986 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Keep your eyes peeled for MTOs. Made To Order sub sandwiches.

Then that happened.

#3 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Is that the name of the place?
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,222 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Primanti Bros in the Strip District gets a lot of ink. Old time restaurant, with suburban branches. Overstuffed sandwiches, topped with fries on request, etc.

Primanti

Strip District menu
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#5 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Primanti Bros in the Strip District gets a lot of ink. Old time restaurant, with suburban branches. Overstuffed sandwiches, topped with fries on request, etc.

Primanti

Strip District menu

I'm planning on a Primanti Bros visit and a couple of the obvious OpenTable places.

I think the two original dinner places I was going to visit both have closed - Notion and Elements, hence the inquiry.

#6 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,986 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

No, just an abbreviation for the sandwiches.

Then that happened.

#7 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

No, just an abbreviation for the sandwiches.

Aaahh, well we're blessed with a large Italian population here. The a sub at the corner deli is always on a fresh, crusty roll, with house cured hot, sweet, or banana peppers, house made oil dressing, cold cuts sliced to order, and cheese consists of regular, aged, or sharp Provolone. A dive is a place that pre-slices their meat :)

#8 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

So....

Friday night, suffered the food at Original Fish Market. It was in the hotel, and we'd had just got in and were hungry. The sashimi looked like it was prepared with a potato peeler and spatula and half of our bottle of wine must have spilled on the bar from a sloppy bartender.

Sat - Lunch at Sonoma Grill - good food, and really, really good wine list. Prices and markups varied but lots of big names like Scarecrow, Harlan, Screagle, etc but also interesting ones like Peter Michael Chards, Marcassin, Merus, Forman Cabs, etc. Had an Chandon Etoile with lunch at a reasonable 80.00.

Sat - Apres Shopping/Wandering - Wine at Sonoma Grill....see above. The girl had a bottle of Terlato Chard which I had a glass, and a Balvenie

Sat Dinner - Habitat Restaurant - Nice decor, decent list, and good food. Maybe nothing that would blow your hair back, but good farm to table cooking and accommodating towards healthy options. Had the Naan bread, Gazpacho, Black Cod, and Golden Trout. Drank a Ramey Chard and a Loire Valley Chenin Blanc.

Fave - App of Coriander seared tuna with hearts of palm, , pepper, frisee, and potato

Posted Image

Sun Dinner - Eleven Contemporary - really cool converted warehouse space in the strip district. Was pretty hungry after a light eating day - Ordered all the cheeses, some olives and tuna tarare to start. Really good quality tuna, cheeses were healthy portions. Finished with Heirloom Tomato Salad, a Mesclun Salad, Cavatelli, and Grilled Swordfish. Food was slightly better here than Habitat, maybe just a few minor tweaks. Had a couple of Goose Martinis, she chipped away at a bottle of Morgan Chard, and I finished with an Adelsheim Pinot Noir Rose.

Fave - House made Pretzels with Rosemary salt, Mimmolette cheese, and smoked honey mustard.....I ordered another to bring back to the hotel for later.

Posted Image

Mon - Primanti Bros.

The...Colossal...Fish...Sangwish !!
Topped with the standard fries, cole slaw, and tomato

Posted Image

All in all, a good trip foodwise and I look forward to another exploratory visit.

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,222 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the pictures.

That seared tuna app looks like a pretty generous helping.
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#10 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the pictures.

That seared tuna app looks like a pretty generous helping.

It was, I don't know if it's regional or what, but appetizer and entree portions seemed larger here than in NY, Boston, Philly, etc. in general.

My GF must have gotten 2 6oz filets of Sablefish/Black Cod which would have fed both of us...

Posted Image

And her plate of Cavatelli at Eleven would also have fed 3 at Babbo

Posted Image

#11 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,986 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

So....

Friday night, suffered the food at Original Fish Market. It was in the hotel, and we'd had just got in and were hungry. The sashimi looked like it was prepared with a potato peeler and spatula and half of our bottle of wine must have spilled on the bar from a sloppy bartender.

Sat - Lunch at Sonoma Grill - good food, and really, really good wine list. Prices and markups varied but lots of big names like Scarecrow, Harlan, Screagle, etc but also interesting ones like Peter Michael Chards, Marcassin, Merus, Forman Cabs, etc. Had an Chandon Etoile with lunch at a reasonable 80.00.

Sat - Apres Shopping/Wandering - Wine at Sonoma Grill....see above. The girl had a bottle of Terlato Chard which I had a glass, and a Balvenie

Sat Dinner - Habitat Restaurant - Nice decor, decent list, and good food. Maybe nothing that would blow your hair back, but good farm to table cooking and accommodating towards healthy options. Had the Naan bread, Gazpacho, Black Cod, and Golden Trout. Drank a Ramey Chard and a Loire Valley Chenin Blanc.

Fave - App of Coriander seared tuna with hearts of palm, , pepper, frisee, and potato

Posted Image

Sun Dinner - Eleven Contemporary - really cool converted warehouse space in the strip district. Was pretty hungry after a light eating day - Ordered all the cheeses, some olives and tuna tarare to start. Really good quality tuna, cheeses were healthy portions. Finished with Heirloom Tomato Salad, a Mesclun Salad, Cavatelli, and Grilled Swordfish. Food was slightly better here than Habitat, maybe just a few minor tweaks. Had a couple of Goose Martinis, she chipped away at a bottle of Morgan Chard, and I finished with an Adelsheim Pinot Noir Rose.

Fave - House made Pretzels with Rosemary salt, Mimmolette cheese, and smoked honey mustard.....I ordered another to bring back to the hotel for later.

Posted Image

Mon - Primanti Bros.

The...Colossal...Fish...Sangwish !!
Topped with the standard fries, cole slaw, and tomato

Posted Image

All in all, a good trip foodwise and I look forward to another exploratory visit.

Great sandwich!

Then that happened.

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,222 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Eater has a "heat map" for dining in Pittsburgh. It's courtesy of the dining editor at the Post-Gazette.

Il Pizzaiolo in Market Square was the only downtown mention.

Among the map's offerings, McCart writes, are a "casual, late night spot" from a James Beard semifinalist (Butterjoint), a newcomer featuring hand-pulled noodles (Everyday Noodles) in Squirrel Hill, "a speakeasy helmed by a fleet of the city's finest bartenders" (Tender Bar & Kitchen), as well as "an anticipated transformation" for a beloved local restaurant (Cure).

Acacia (2108 East Carson) is across the river.  That used to be a big deal in Pgh, as big as going all the way to Brooklyn was for many Manhattanites.

Bar Marco is out Penn Avenue, at 2216 it's near 22nd street. That puts it around the corner from another recommend, Thin Man Sandwich at 50 21st street.

http://eater.com/arc...t-right-now.php

Niccolò Machiavelli

#13 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:58 PM

There are three cities between the Appalachians and the Rockies I've seriously considered inhabiting: New Orleans, Detroit, and Pittsburgh.  It looks like I may have waited too long for Pittsburgh.

Everybody seems so young. And everybody’s talking about restaurants. If there are scholars who hope to study how a vibrant food culture can help radically transform an American city, the time to do that is right now, in real time, in the place that gave us Heinz ketchup.

In December, Zagat named Pittsburgh the No. 1 food city in America. Vogue just went live with a piece that proclaimed, “Pittsburgh is not just a happening place to visit — increasingly, people, especially New Yorkers, are toying with the idea of moving here.”

The first time I considered moving to Pittsburgh, it was owing to their philosophy programme and a National Geographic photo of a Primanti Bros sandwich.  Now there's Google, Apple, and an Ace Hotel.

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,924 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:53 PM

Where did Picasso come from
there's no Michelangelo coming from Pittsburgh
if art is the tip of the iceberg
I'm the part sinking below

I have nothing to add but Lou Reed lyrics.. And I have a special appreciation for Pittsburgh because we share a bridge designer 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#15 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:36 PM

I always forget Warhol was born in Pittsburgh.